New 980ti not running 100%

monkey10120

After people were preaching the 3570K was holding back the 980 Ti......Even if it was bottlenecking the card, I don't think OP would get the same frame rate as with the 660 Ti unless the game was the issue.

Seems like everyone's solution to everything  on this forum is "BUY MORE THINGS, BUY ALL THE THINGS, ALL THE EXPENSIVE THINGS"

Let me check Rivia tuner. I didnt know that has a frame limiter in it. 

In nvidia control panel all my programs are set to global settings. 

also in GTA I get 80 fps@1080 so its not being limited. 

I also have win 8.1 so no aero.

I am not saying that nothing is limiting my frames. But its not my frames it limiting it my gpu usage being limited. Something is hidden somewhere or its a driver issue that is holding back my card.

Gta V is probably a CPU bottleneck.

Performance will still increase with stuff like lower population and draw distance, but 60 seems about right for a 3570K.

Do you have any GPU bound games you can try? Tomb raider, battlefield, crysis etc.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I run 2 780 ftw editions in sli with a 4770k at stock clocks at 1080p. Similar gpu performance to a 980 ti. I have yet to see my cpu reach 100% usage in games. Closest I've seen was 85% usage in gta 5 while switching characters. So yeah I'm calling BS on that one.

U usage is irrelevant, monitor your GPU usage.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Wzisthw.png

It would have only enabled itself if you had made the changes in the program yourself though....

U usage is irrelevant, monitor your GPU usage.

Depends on the game.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Depends on the game.

it does not.

The fact that a CPU is not pinned across all cores does not mean it does not limit the performance of your graphics card, in fact it has nothing to do.

The CPU can (and will ) just be in fact too slow to process enough instructions to properly instruct the GPU.

And at a certain point in any system this will happen, if you have too much GPU horsepower like this user running a GTX 980ti at 1080p,

That's why you see FX-8350 only used at 55% across the board limiting the performance of a GTX 780 in watchdogs for example, and the game running at 40FPS.

Of course, you can also see the CPU being the limiting factor when one or a few or all cores are pinned...but that's another story.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Yea but I would expect to see more then 60fps in GTA 5 with his CPU and GPU. Maybe the fact that GTA 5 is CPU bound game. Could be it. He needs to test out a few GPU bound games. If they are hitting well over 60fps then it could be the CPU combined with the GTA5.If hes hitting 58 to 60fps in other games there is something wrong somewhere.

Ok just looked at some other websites Other people with Better CPU's with one 980ti at 1080p playing GTA 5 are reporting they are only hitting 60fps in game. Seems his 60fps is normal for GTA 5.

Which sucks tbh because you would expect more than 60fps with a 980ti.

Yea but I would expect to see more then 60fps in GTA 5 with his CPU and GPU. Maybe the fact that GTA 5 is CPU bound game. Could be it. He needs to test out a few GPU bound games. If they are hitting well over 60fps then it could be the CPU combined with the GTA5.If hes hitting 58 to 60fps in other games there is something wrong somewhere.

OP has a framecap of some sort...it's obvious in the graphs.

Gta V is probably a CPU bottleneck.

Performance will still increase with stuff like lower population and draw distance, but 60 seems about right for a 3570K.

Do you have any GPU bound games you can try? Tomb raider, battlefield, crysis etc.

I thought I mentioned in earlier post that I get 70 fps in GTA and it spikes anywhere to 75-80. I think that was with a slight OC to my 980ti.  The screen shots I have been posting are from WOT mainly to have a control group. 

I wish I had a GPU bound game but I dont as of now. I did run Unignine and pulled 85 fps on extreme HD if that means anything. 

But I am wondering how much my CPU is affecting any of this. In the screen shots I posted you can see my CPU usage at the bottom and its always around 30-50% with individual cores never maxing out.

Edit: also Riva was not frame limiting me.

I wish I had a GPU bound game but I dont as of now. I did run Unignine and pulled 85 fps on extreme HD if that means anything. 

Unigine extreme HD i get 60FPS average on my GTX 780...your 980ti should get upward of 110FPS easily...something is wrong with your machine, and your CPU is not a factor when running GPU benchmark such as unigine...you have the proper PSU PCIe power cables plugged into your graphics card?

Have you removed all previous drivers if any with driver sweeper or something along those lines?

Something is just not right i think.

Ok just looked at some other websites Other people with Better CPU's with one 980ti at 1080p playing GTA 5 are reporting they are only hitting 60fps in game. Seems his 60fps is normal for GTA 5.

What settings were they using? My minimum frame rate is normally 60 with the maximum frame rate being 144(Adaptive V-Sync). I'm currently using a GTX 970 at 1.46GHz and a 3570K at 4.2GHz.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

So, I don't think anyone has said this yet, but have you tried putting the 980Ti in different PCI-E slot? Also, try entirely uninstalling Afterburner (and RivaTuner) and give that a reinstall or trying a different OC tool. I honestly don't think your CPU is affecting this that much, as the behavior of a CPU bottleneck would be  a lot different than this. The fact that you have a flatline at 59 or 60fps is really strange and screams something software related. Did you uninstall the GeForce Experience software when you reinstalled the drivers? Might not be a bad idea to do a clean install of that too.

it does not.

The fact that a CPU is not pinned across all cores does not mean it does not limit the performance of your graphics card, in fact it has nothing to do.

The CPU can (and will ) just be in fact too slow to process enough instructions to properly instruct the GPU.

And at a certain point in any system this will happen, if you have too much GPU horsepower like this user running a GTX 980ti at 1080p,

That's why you see FX-8350 only used at 55% across the board limiting the performance of a GTX 780 in watchdogs for example, and the game running at 40FPS.

Of course, you can also see the CPU being the limiting factor when one or a few or all cores are pinned...but that's another story.

I refuse to believe the CPU is the issue right now. If he had a 660 Ti before and upgraded to a 980 Ti, he should be getting higher performance. Doesn't matter if the CPU is going to ultimately hold it back - the frame rate should still increase. I also didn't say a CPU had to be pinned across all four cores in order for it to be a bottleneck - some games only utilize one or two cores.

I refuse to believe the CPU is the issue right now. If he had a 660 Ti before and upgraded to a 980 Ti, he should be getting higher performance. Doesn't matter if the CPU is going to ultimately hold it back - the frame rate should still increase.

indeed...and analysing the provided graphs so far i see framecaps all the time...something is limiting this user performance and i'm not saying it's the CPU...at some point in some games the CPU will defenetly limit his GPU as discussed already, but not all over the place in every games or test like that...i agree.

Unigine extreme HD i get 60FPS average on my GTX 780...your 980ti should get upward of 110FPS easily...something is wrong with your machine, and your CPU is not a factor when running GPU benchmark such as unigine...you have the proper PSU PCIe power cables plugged into your graphics card?

Have you removed all previous drivers if any with driver sweeper or something along those lines?

Something is just not right i think.

Every bench mark I have seen of Unigine valley is getting between 83-86 fps on stock clocks. Look at the Unigine  thread at the top of this section on the last page. 

So far benchmarks have been on par this whole time.

I have removed all the drivers, updated bios, reseated the card and cables. Maybe is it just my cpu.

For ex. Here is one of the run in Unigine valley at a slightly high boost clock from the uningine thread

gallery_105900_3048_504.png

Here is my stock uningine valley

XE0uLZy.png?1

So, I don't think anyone has said this yet, but have you tried putting the 980Ti in different PCI-E slot? Also, try entirely uninstalling Afterburner (and RivaTuner) and give that a reinstall or trying a different OC tool. I honestly don't think your CPU is affecting this that much, as the behavior of a CPU bottleneck would be  a lot different than this. The fact that you have a flatline at 59 or 60fps is really strange and screams something software related. Did you uninstall the GeForce Experience software when you reinstalled the drivers? Might not be a bad idea to do a clean install of that too.

No can do, P8Z77 mini itx board. Only 1 PCI. I have tried running all the games and non-steam games through steam so I can get the fps counter that steam provides and the same results. I have also tried GPU-Z and same thing.

Depends on how many bells and whistles you turn on.

GTA V with everything cranked even at 1080p is really taxing.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Depends on how many bells and whistles you turn on.

GTA V with everything cranked even at 1080p is really taxing.  

GTA V is definitely taxing. I am happy getting 70fps with every single thing maxed out. 

• 2 weeks later...

You'll just need a 1440p monitor I noticed a huge difference soon as I started playing games on my new 1440p monitor.

The simple answer to your question is: it won't run 100% on 1080p that resolution is a bottleneck for that GPU.