New 980ti not running 100%

monkey10120

Which has nothing to do with the GPU.

Here's the score.

You have vsync enabled in the Nvidia control panel, or something else artifically limiting the framerate to 60.  There's NO FUCKING WAY it's flatlining at 60 by coincidence.  

The card itself is working fine.  You can try reinstalling the drivers with a fresh install, but every indication to me here has been that it works perfectly.  (Although it'd be nice if you put clock speed in afterburner)

You bought a 980Ti to buy a game that runs on a toaster with a decent CPU, of course you're going to have low utilization.  As for why your framerate is so low I don't know, but I really don't think it's the GPU.  

Or you could just check my screen shot on the last page of my control panel settings. Where you clearly see vsync is off. Or the other screen shots of me hitting above 60. 

Also since when is gta 5 a game that can run on a toaster?  

You don't have to be a dick about this. I know the card is fine, it run benchmarks and I get the right score, it runs games at 5760x1080 like it's supposed to. But it's not running 1080 right. Sorry I an not getting what I paid for. If I have 120hz monitors and I want the most fps I can get. And in the post you quoted I even said it might be drivers

This forum was great when it was started but now I see it's support went to crap after Linus and slick stopped focusing on it.

Or you could just check my screen shot on the last page of my control panel settings. Where you clearly see vsync is off. Or the other screen shots of me hitting above 60. 

You don't have to be a dick about this. I know the card is fine, it run benchmarks and I get the right score, it runs games at 5760x1080 like it's supposed to. But it's not running 1080 right. Sorry I an not getting what I paid for. If I have 120hz monitors and I want the most fps I can get. And in the post you quoted I even said it might be drivers

This forum was great when it was started but now I see it's support went to crap after Linus and slick stopped focusing on it.

Well that was a completely different game.  I'm guessing whatever the game you are having problems in has it hardcoded to limit the fps to 60.  Possibly there is a way you can change it in a configuration text file somewhere on your computer, but it seems like it is the game, not your gpu.  But those firestrike scores do seem really bad, so I'm not sure what to think.

Can you run regular Firestrike (not Extreme) and post the score?

Also monitor the GPU Coreclock speed in afterburner so I can see what the card is boosting to.

Also you can try the 353.12 hotfix driver.  Use display driver uninstaller, remove what you're running and install that one.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Can you run regular Firestrike (not Extreme) and post the score?

Also monitor the GPU Coreclock speed in afterburner so I can see what the card is boosting to.

Also you can try the 353.12 hotfix driver.  Use display driver uninstaller, remove what you're running and install that one.

Here you go:

I included my afterburner with it. Also I made sure to give you the graphics score because I know my 3570k is take a huge hit on this result  because its not OC'd 

In the mean time I will grab the hot fix driver.

fKjzy18.png

I clean installed 353.12 but getting the same results.  :(

Here you go:

I included my afterburner with it. Also I made sure to give you the graphics score because I know my 3570k is take a huge hit on this result  because its not OC'd 

In the mean time I will grab the hot fix driver.

Your score seems much more normal.  I dunno, I guess the extreme test that you did before doesn't account for that when giving a score.  I don't think there is anything wrong with your card.

Your score seems much more normal.  I dunno, I guess the extreme test that you did before doesn't account for that when giving a score.  I don't think there is anything wrong with your card.

Yeah I only ran 1 test with extreme. But with ultra it's right on par with similar setups like fire strike normal. 

I really think it's driver based at this point. Something in the drivers are forcing it to run 33% unless running surround our benchmarks

Sorry to beat the vsync drum here but its pretty obvious that it is enabled. There is just no way that your frames would magically hover at 60.

You are of course aware that the general vsync setting, the one you keep saying is off is overridden by the application specific profile, and that both of those can be overridden by any in game settings right? Have you checked verified in the game that frame limiting is disabled? Checked the application specific profile?

Screen: AOC u3477Pqu 60Hz@3440x1440 CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k GPU: 2x sli MSI GTX 980 OCV1  Motherboard: Asus Z97-AR  Case: Define R5  SSD Storage: 840 EVO 500GB HDD Storage: Seagate Barracuda 4TB  PSU: EVGA supernova G2 850W  RAM: 16GB hyperX 1866 (2x8GB) Cooling:Custom water loop with 2x280 radiators

Sorry to beat the vsync drum here but its pretty obvious that it is enabled. There is just no way that your frames would magically hover at 60.

You are of course aware that the general vsync setting, the one you keep saying is off is overridden by the application specific profile, and that both of those can be overridden by any in game settings right? Have you checked verified in the game that frame limiting is disabled? Checked the application specific profile?

Its disabled. This morning before work I messed with it before. Put my 660ti back in and got 68 fps. No settings touched, tweaked, and then put my 980ti back in and poof, right back to 58-59 fps. So that is showing me that vsync is not kicking in. 

When I get back home what I am going to do is unplug all but one of my monitors, uninstall the drivers and reinstall them and work on fixing it from there. I have 3 monitors and it just doesnt seem to be a coincidence that running 1080 drops my gpu usage to 35% like its dedicating each monitor to a capped usage.  

Maybe there is something wrong with one of your monitors. I would also check for any Bitcoin Miners installed on your system without your knowledge. They have a nasty habit of throttling your gpu whilst playing games and can drop your fps. I know its unlikely it is a bitcoin miner but just check better safe than sorry. Go into your system32/ tasks and make sure  everything there which should be there. Its a long shot but got to think out of the box sometimes if you hit a problem.

Maybe there is something wrong with one of your monitors. I would also check for any Bitcoin Miners installed on your system without your knowledge. They have a nasty habit of throttling your gpu whilst playing games and can drop your fps. I know its unlikely it is a bitcoin miner but just check better safe than sorry. Go into your system32/ tasks and make sure  everything there which should be there. Its a long shot but got to think out of the box sometimes if you hit a problem.

I check that on almost a daily basis. A few years back before I got into pcs I got a virus hidden that almost ruined my life because it was a rootkit keylogger. My machine is extremely locked down security wise. Even my browsing is done on a second pc that is running linux.

I will double check though. Ill unplug my internet and let it sit for a few mins to make sure nothing is going on. 

Them bitcoin miners have a nasty habit of camouflage themselves as important Windows files. Ive had a few in the past. System32/tasks and also look for a any cache folders within the following directory c:/users/yourname/appdata/roaming. It installs itself within ANY directory in the roaming directory. I had one which installed into my NVIDIA folder that cheeky shit LOL. I also check on a daily basis. No one is making money off my PC system LOL.

not at all son, i'm telling you: no CPU as of today can feed a GTX 980ti consistently at 1080p...that GPU is just TOO massively overkill for such low resolution...some games you might be able to if you crank up 16xMSAA and stuff...but not on a consistent basis in every games, nowhere near.

I run 2 780 ftw editions in sli with a 4770k at stock clocks at 1080p. Similar gpu performance to a 980 ti. I have yet to see my cpu reach 100% usage in games. Closest I've seen was 85% usage in gta 5 while switching characters. So yeah I'm calling BS on that one.

Judging by those after burner graphs, it looks like you have vsync enabled somewhere, your gpu is reaching 60 fps and then keeping it there dropping its usage to match the work load at 60 fps. Check the nvidia control panel, check geforce experience, check the in game menus. Its enabled in there somewhere, you just have to find it.

Judging by those after burner graphs, it looks like you have vsync enabled somewhere, your gpu is reaching 60 fps and then keeping it there dropping its usage to match the work load at 60 fps. Check the nvidia control panel, check geforce experience, check the in game menus. Its enabled in there somewhere, you just have to find it.

Its not. Here in post #40 my screen shot shows my control panel settings.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/385615-new-980ti-not-running-100/?p=5220153

Also I can crank down the graphics and get way more than 60 fps. 

Its not. Here in post #40 my screen shot shows my control panel settings.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/385615-new-980ti-not-running-100/?p=5220153

Also I can crank down the graphics and get way more than 60 fps. 

Yeah I see that, its not locked at 60 but its locked at certain intervals, it certainly seems like there is some sort of vsync esque frame smoothing going on. Your fps shouldn't be going up and down in solid intervals like that, the transitions should look way smoother.

Yeah I see that, its not locked at 60 but its locked at certain intervals, it certainly seems like there is some sort of vsync esque frame smoothing going on. Your fps shouldn't be going up and down in solid intervals like that, the transitions should look way smoother.

I just dont get why its flat lining so much. I really think this is the most coincidental moment I have ever seen and am really only getting 59 fps or is just a bugged driver.

I just want the $650 performance I payed for.....

You show the global settings in Nvidia control panel saying v-sync is off but what about the programs tab?

You have MSI afterburner, that usually comes with Riva Tuner that also allows you to globally or by program lock your FPS, I'd check to make sure that isn't locking the FPS.

GTA also has a hz option, I assume that also will lock the framerate aside from having v-sync enable.

If you have AERO in windows enabled then disable it, that has some v-sync properties as well in some cases.

Whether you want to admit it or not, something is locking your FPS in GTA.

I just dont get why its flat lining so much. I really think this is the most coincidental moment I have ever seen and am really only getting 59 fps or is just a bugged driver.

I just want the $650 performance I payed for.....

Might be a driver bug, maybe are you running any fps counter program during the benchmarks? Any thing along those lines might have a built in fps limiter.

You show the global settings in Nvidia control panel saying v-sync is off but what about the programs tab?

You have MSI afterburner, that usually comes with Riva Tuner that also allows you to globally or by program lock your FPS, I'd check to make sure that isn't locking the FPS.

GTA also has a hz option, I assume that also will lock the framerate aside from having v-sync enable.

If you have AERO in windows enabled then disable it, that has some v-sync properties as well in some cases.

Whether you want to admit it or not, something is locking your FPS in GTA.

Let me check Rivia tuner. I didnt know that has a frame limiter in it. 

In nvidia control panel all my programs are set to global settings. 

also in GTA I get 80 fps@1080 so its not being limited. 

I also have win 8.1 so no aero.

I am not saying that nothing is limiting my frames. But its not my frames it limiting it my gpu usage being limited. Something is hidden somewhere or its a driver issue that is holding back my card.

Let me check Rivia tuner. I didnt know that has a frame limiter in it. 

Sounds like this is likely the issue.

Yeah, because at that resolution you don't go above 60 fps that often, so vsync isn't kicking in, and when it is it isn't limiting you by much.  Somehow the game you are playing has vsync enabled.  Find it in the game's setting menu and disable it.  Or edit the config.txt file for the game and disable it there.

If V-Sync is disabled in the NVIDIA Control Panel, it applies to all games. Crysis 2 has a maximum frame rate of 60 even with a 144Hz monitor.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Sounds like this is likely the issue.

I swear to god if Riva is the culprit in all of this.

I swear to god if Riva is the culprit in all of this.

After people were preaching the 3570K was holding back the 980 Ti......Even if it was bottlenecking the card, I don't think OP would get the same frame rate as with the 660 Ti unless the game was the issue.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch