What internet speed would you suggest?

nims0c
Go to solution Solved by nims0c,

I decided to go with Rogers Ignite 100u, which is 100/10 unlimited cable internet. It's similarly priced to 60/10 packages offered by the competition, and I don't think 30/5 would have cut it.

My family is going to cut our cable TV cord and we also want to move away from the horrible ISP that is Bell.

I think I've found some good alternative ISPs (Netfox, Start, HeroNet; based on canadianisp.ca reviews) so now we just need to settle on the speed and whether to get DSL or cable.

Since we're cutting the cord, we'll probably be watching Netflix. I figure there may be up to 3 simultaneous streams at some point: 1 for me, 1 for my parents, and 1 if our Airbnb guests want to watch Netflix on their account during their stay. (If I'm not watching Netflix, I may be streaming Twitch or watching YouTube videos.) I also want to have a good online gaming experience while others may be streaming content, etc.

DSL options are 25/10 or 50/10. Cable options are 30/5, 60/10, or 100/10. All unlimited, of course. What would you recommend?

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

I'll take in a shot in the dark and say it's more along the lines of 2 streams (occasionally 3) + one gaming. 60/10 or 100/10 would be your best best.

I never recommend DSL. Pick the largest cable package that fits your budget - the more bandwidth the merrier.  :)

I never recommend DSL. Pick the largest cable package that fits your budget - the more bandwidth the merrier.  :)

this

get the most speed as your budget allows

also if you are cutting the cord..then factor in the 5-10$ extra for the vpn/dns service so you can get USA netflix and HULU

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

I'll take in a shot in the dark and say it's more along the lines of 2 streams (occasionally 3) + one gaming. 60/10 or 100/10 would be your best best.

Ya, we only have guests from time to time and not everyone has Netflix. That's what I was leaning towards.

Hehe dsl gives me 6/6. Go for the cable please

Well, I currently get 27/10 on a 25/10 DSL plan.

I was leaning towards cable as well because the signal is worse the further you are with DSL right?

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

Pick whatever offers the most speed period (unless there is a data cap or some other bs)

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

Ya, we only have guests from time to time and not everyone has Netflix. That's what I was leaning towards.

Well, I currently get 27/10 on a 25/10 DSL plan.

I was leaning towards cable as well because the signal is worse the further you are with DSL right?

Nver go dsl please. From experience go cable for your sake dsl sucks so bad. You never get one stream of internet its always fluctuations

DSL isn't a bad option. It's a more consistent experience than cable ever would be.

DSL stands for Direct Subscriber Line which means you get exactly what they tell you.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

I got 100/100 Verizon Fios but we also have like 20 devices in our home. My advice is go for something around 20/20 and wire as much stuff as you can.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

this

get the most speed as your budget allows

also if you are cutting the cord..then factor in the 5-10$ extra for the vpn/dns service so you can get USA netflix and HULU

Ok, so I guess I'll have to show the costs to my parents and get them to decide their budget. We'll be saving money by cutting cable TV so maybe I can convince them to go with a more expensive plan.

Pick whatever offers the most speed period (unless there is a data cap or some other bs)

No data caps on any of these. Definitely a must-have for what we're going to be doing.

Nver go dsl please. From experience go cable for your sake dsl sucks so bad. You never get one stream of internet its always fluctuations

Another against DSL. Noted.

DSL isn't a bad option. It's a more consistent experience than cable ever would be.

DSL stands for Direct Subscriber Line which means you get exactly what they tell you.

From what I understand, DSL is slow on a long line (far from ISP). But then again, cable is affected by the traffic in your neighbourhood. If we went with something like Rogers Ignite 100u (cable with 100 down/10 up, but I've read about people getting 130/11) would we really feel slowdowns during peak hours though?

I got 100/100 Verizon Fios but we also have like 20 devices in our home. My advice is go for something around 20/20 and wire as much stuff as you can.

My mom doesn't want wires going everywhere though.

hide the wires with wire-ties and in conduit

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

I envy you for actually thinking you have to post a thread on which speed to go for. I live in Aus and get 1 option (DSL) which gives me 8/1. If i dont like it.. Tough luck.

Pick the fastest you can possibly get and call it a day. Life is too short for slow internet.

[spoiler=REDWING]  REDWING   | Custom Hard Line Water Cooling Loop   |   Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz   |   Asus Maximus VII Ranger   |   Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-2400 2x8GB   |   2 x Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming (SLI)   |   Corsair AX860i   |   Samsung 850 Pro 512GB   |   Corsair Obsidian 750D   |   Corsair K95 RGB & M65 RGB   |   Samsung SyncMaster S27B370

Project Redwing Build Log

[spoiler=ZedNAS] 'ZedNAS' Home NAS Build   |   Intel Xeon E3 1231 v3   |   ASRock Rack E3C224D4I   |   Kingston KVR16E11/8I 2x8GB   |   Corsair HX750   |   6 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200RPM HDD   |   Fractal Design Node 304 mITX Black   |   FreeNAS w/ PleX   |   ZFS Raid-Z2 (16TB Effective)   |

hide the wires with wire-ties and in conduit

He suggested we wire everything, but most of our devices are mobile anyway.

I envy you for actually thinking you have to post a thread on which speed to go for. I live in Aus and get 1 option (DSL) which gives me 8/1. If i dont like it.. Tough luck.

Pick the fastest you can possibly get and call it a day. Life is too short for slow internet.

I'll consider myself lucky then!

Ok, so I guess I'll have to show the costs to my parents and get them to decide their budget. We'll be saving money by cutting cable TV so maybe I can convince them to go with a more expensive plan.

No data caps on any of these. Definitely a must-have for what we're going to be doing.

Another against DSL. Noted.

From what I understand, DSL is slow on a long line (far from ISP). But then again, cable is affected by the traffic in your neighbourhood. If we went with something like Rogers Ignite 100u (cable with 100 down/10 up, but I've read about people getting 130/11) would we really feel slowdowns during peak hours though?

The reason I suggested DSL in the first place is because it will give you the most consistent connection available.  Peek hours for internet usage is going to be about the same times as peek hours for television watching.  With a good DSL connection, you'll always get your rated speeds of internet.  And with 50Mbps download speeds that's more than enough to stream 5 1080p YouTube videos at the same time.

https://www.google.com/get/videoqualityreport/

Check that out.  You need to see who in your area likes to throttle streams.  Netflix has something like that too.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

The reason I suggested DSL in the first place is because it will give you the most consistent connection available.  Peek hours for internet usage is going to be about the same times as peek hours for television watching.  With a good DSL connection, you'll always get your rated speeds of internet.  And with 50Mbps download speeds that's more than enough to stream 5 1080p YouTube videos at the same time.

https://www.google.com/get/videoqualityreport/

Check that out.  You need to see who in your area likes to throttle streams.  Netflix has something like that too.

What I meant is if I go with 100/10 cable, would my speed decrease during peak hours to the point that I'd notice? If I were on 30/5 cable I suspect I'd feel it much more.

Thanks for the link. It doesn't look like every ISP is on there, but it may prove useful.

What I meant is if I go with 100/10 cable, would my speed decrease during peak hours to the point that I'd notice? If I were on 30/5 cable I suspect I'd feel it much more.

Thanks for the link. It doesn't look like every ISP is on there, but it may prove useful.

I have cable and it has never fluctuated once in the 5 years I have had it. Same story for just about every hardcore computer user I know. maybe it's just my area?

DSL on the other had is utter crap from my own and other users' experience. Extreme fluctuations, modem rebooting, etc. And if you have older phonelines in your house - that will negatively affect the performance as well. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Get cable you shouldn't worry too much about over provisioning just do your homework on the ISP and you're golden.

As for the internet speed, you should buy the 60/10 if there is a big price gap to 100/10Mbps, if not get the latter.

With a 100Mbps connection I don't think you would be able to feel the slowdown because you will have a hard time saturating the port, unless you start Steam and download something.

dsl is affected by distance from exchange, the further away the slower the speeds, you won't get good enough speeds on DSL unless you're close to the exchange, cable will give you better speeds and also better latency which is also key for gaming if you plan on doing that, if you can get a 40 down package that will be plenty.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

I decided to go with Rogers Ignite 100u, which is 100/10 unlimited cable internet. It's similarly priced to 60/10 packages offered by the competition, and I don't think 30/5 would have cut it.

good choice my friend, happy gaming :).

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |