4th Amendment Rights in schools.

the21robot

Hi, yesterday at school a teacher demanded to search my whole phone because I recorded my friend diving on grass during class. I showed her that I had deleted the video, but she said it could still be there. She tried to search it, but I locked it and she didn't know the code. I know she had the right to take it to the principles office, but I don't think they can search it without probable cause. The school policy on student privacy says nothing about cell phones, but it says the infingment has to be decently severe to warrent a search.(drugs. Etc).

Prepare for battle in BATTLEFIELD 4! All New Dog tags JUST LIKE THIS:

Some people just have bad days.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

CAn we get a USA chant going here? :D 

Sorry matey no clue n what to say , in norway and the rest of eu this wouldnt be a problem:/

I recorded my friend diving on grass during class.

Did you have outside class?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

You lose plenty of rights while at school. I do believe this is one of them. Now if they did it to be demeaning thats different. A purse may be the only thing they can't search but, a sro can, the cop at the school. This may differ from place to place. O, read your post if you may have evidence of a crime (property damage) they can search it. But, its deleted and you told them that so, you destroyed evidence. Depends of how big of dicks they are if you get in trouble.

She cannot search your phone at all.. Confiscate if your using during class or such.. yea sure.. but other than that.. hell no.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Did you have outside class?

I was confused by that sentence as well ... Is he smoking weed ? Is he stepping on grass ? 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

You dont even have to give the teacher your phone. You can literally walk out of the class and go home if thats what you want. The worst that can happen is you get detention or other school related trouble, but they can't pretend to be cops or anything. Just because you are supposed to do as the teacher says, you can make your own decisions, however they may have other consequences.

They have some leeway to confiscate your phone, but only until the end of the day and they certainly do not have the authority to search it.

This is why american high schools are so screwy. Teachers desperately trying to hoist themselves to appear to have more authority than they actually do. if you lock your phone, there's not a damn thing they can do about it.

AFAIK, once you go to into a school Amendments don't really apply to you anymore. If they suspect you of something they have every right to search you.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

There was a supreme court case that was similar to this. New Jersey v. T.L.O. This court ruled that the only need reasonable suspicion to search it. Also assuming that your phone is encrypted and hard to get past they can't force you to give up you password as that you be giving evidence against you self. A school would probally never take this to court and you probably wouldn't want to either.

You dont even have to give the teacher your phone. You can literally walk out of the class and go home if thats what you want. The worst that can happen is you get detention or other school related trouble, but they can't pretend to be cops or anything. Just because you are supposed to do as the teacher says, you can make your own decisions, however they may have other consequences.

Depends on the country....there are places in the US where the cops will stop children if they are seen outside during school hours.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Tell her to bugger off and say "yea, it is still on the phone but you ain't touching it you old broad".

I would never stand for that crap if I was in school. No one would screw with me. No one.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

for the love of....

Seriously? You took a video of a friend, so they confiscate your phone? I'd like to know her justification for that.

Tell her to bugger off and say "yea, it is still on the phone but you ain't touching it you old broad".

I would never stand for that crap if I was in school. No one would screw with me. No one.

I was the same way.

God I hate schools.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Depends on the country....there are places in the US where the cops will stop children if they are seen outside during school hours.

But will they do anything about it? If a 15 year old walks out of school, what are the cops going to do?

for the love of....

Seriously? You took a video of a friend, so they confiscate your phone? I'd like to know her justification for that.

I was the same way.

God I hate schools.

I asked him to take a video of me.

AFAIK, once you go to into a school Amendments don't really apply to you anymore. If they suspect you of something they have every right to search you.

Yea, but they didnt suspect me of anything. And if I lose all my rights, that means they can literally rape me, molest me, steal my stuff, 

I asked him to take a video of me.

You were on weed?

I remember hearing a story of a teacher who searched the backpack of every child because she assumed people had gum, and she did not retrieve permission. She was fired for it. Dunno if a phone is legally any different.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

The Supreme court disagrees with you. The only time you lose rights in school is when it's disruptive or a safety issue. And even then they can only punish you with school related things.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

You lose plenty of rights while at school. I do believe this is one of them. Now if they did it to be demeaning thats different. A purse may be the only thing they can't search but, a sro can, the cop at the school. This may differ from place to place. O, read your post if you may have evidence of a crime (property damage) they can search it. But, its deleted and you told them that so, you destroyed evidence. Depends of how big of dicks they are if you get in trouble.

There is a law suit relating the topic that went all the way to the Supreme Court. The ruling basically said that students do not give up their rights as american citizens as soon as they set foot on school campus

Tell your teacher a retired cop says "She can't do that"