Buying The BEST Gaming Mouse

Aside from the fact laser mouses can go to higher DPI's the difference is rather negligible I think. The only thing you should care about is how it feels/fits in your hands and the functionality. Personally I'm in absolute love with the Razer Naga. The big egg shape fits my hands pretty much perfectly and I use the heck out of the 12 extra buttons in almost everything (WoW, FPS's, etc.). I do wish it had a bit better build quality so I might try the G600 eventually, but right now I'm at that "don't fix what isn't broken" point.

"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn

I don't have a problem - I don't use a laser mouse.

Unless you have a 100% hit rate, you're going to have a hard time proving your mouse isn't potentially responsible for missed shots.

make a robot, they dont make mistakes

Well, what sensor type do professional FPS players use? Surely they'd have the right answer.

They use what ever they like best out of what their sponsor offers.

Aside from the fact laser mouses can go to higher DPI's the difference is rather negligible I think. The only thing you should care about is how it feels/fits in your hands and the functionality. Personally I'm in absolute love with the Razer Naga. The big egg shape fits my hands pretty much perfectly and I use the heck out of the 12 extra buttons in almost everything (WoW, FPS's, etc.). I do wish it had a bit better build quality so I might try the G600 eventually, but right now I'm at that "don't fix what isn't broken" point.

Agree with that man use what works and what your comfortable with not whats "best" or should work better.

My take on it is that if a sensor has acceleration or snapping or anything else that means that mouse-movement:onscreen-movement isn't directly proportional at all times, no matter what movements are made and at what speeds, then being able to accurately make reflex/reaction movements will be made at least somewhat more difficult.

In saying that, you're going to account for any disproportionality due to acceleration, etc as you get use to the mouse. So in the end, it's probably a non issue.

My take on it is that if a sensor has acceleration or snapping or anything else that means that mouse-movement:onscreen-movement isn't directly proportional at all times, no matter what movements are made and at what speeds then being able to accurately make reflex/reaction movements will be made at least somewhat more difficult.

In saying that, you're going to account for any disproportionality due to acceleration, etc as you get use to the mouse. So in the end, it's probably a non issue.

Its more about where or not you notice it or if it effect your game play. I noticed the issues sometimes on the 9500 but never enough to impact anything I was doing. I have yet to notice any of that on the 9800 though.

I don't have a problem - I don't use a laser mouse.

Unless you have a 100% hit rate, you're going to have a hard time proving your mouse isn't potentially responsible for missed shots.

No point in arguing with ignorance.

Logitech G400. j.m.o. so hate away

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Logitech G400. j.m.o. so hate away

The G400 is a good optical gaming mouse, I don't think anyone here would hate it. Most of us don't care whether it's optical or laser, as long as it fits nicely into your hands, and you're comfortable with it, that's all that matters anyway. I've been criticized for liking laser mice, but I don't care, as long as the mouse I use feels very comfortable in my hand, and does what I need it to do.....doesn't matter whether it's optical or laser, I'd like it.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

The G400 is a good optical gaming mouse, I don't think anyone here would hate it. Most of us don't care whether it's optical or laser, as long as it fits nicely into your hands, and you're comfortable with it, that's all that matters anyway. I've been criticized for liking laser mice, but I don't care, as long as the mouse I use feels very comfortable in my hand, and does what I need it to do.....doesn't matter whether it's optical or laser, I'd like it.

Yep. This whole dpi thing is getting out of hand anyways. All these kids go "hurrdurr I got 8200dpi, suck it loser."

Wow, you're so cool man! But in the end they're going to play on 1800dpi, what the G400 is capable of for sometimes more than half the price. And that's why I love this mouse. 

I've used the Deathadder before, the Abyssus, the Sensei, but in the end I always went back to Logitech. Because they're build well, are accurate, offer everything I could possibly want at a reasonable price. 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Yep. This whole dpi thing is getting out of hand anyways. All these kids go "hurrdurr I got 8200dpi, suck it loser."

Wow, you're so cool man! But in the end they're going to play on 1800dpi, what the G400 is capable of for sometimes more than half the price. And that's why I love this mouse.

I've used the Deathadder before, the Abyssus, the Sensei, but in the end I always went back to Logitech. Because they're build well, are accurate, offer everything I could possibly want at a reasonable price.

I think the question is,"How can you do with 8200dp?" lol

Seriously, when I'd first gotten my Tt Level 10M mouse, I was like, "Whoa Nellie, 8200dpi!!!". Set it to 8200dpi since I was doing 3x 24" monitors for 5760x1200 gaming. Man, all it took was for a little swipe and my cursor went left corner most of my left monitor, past the center and right to the edge of my right monitor.....I was like, "Damn, what is 8200dpi for anyway?!". Now, for my tri-monitor setup, my dpi is about 2300dpi IIRC. For single monitor, it's down to 1600dpi.....

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Determining the “best” mouse is quite difficult. For some people it is all about the shape & weight of the mouse, for some it’s about the sensor and for some it’s combination of both.

Couple suggestions:

Palm grip: Logitech G400, Zowie FK or Razer Deathadder
Claw / fingertip grip: Razer Abyssus

Currently I’m using a Razer Abyssus (I’ve used Logitech G400, G500, G9x & SteelSeries Sensei before), which is a really lightweight and small-ish mouse, which I like and it fits my grip nicely.

Specs: i7-3770K | Asus R9 290X | 32GB DDR3 | GA-Z77-UD5H | RM 750x | Define R5 Arctic White | macOS 10.14.5 & Windows 10

No point in arguing with ignorance.

So, you've gone from "if you don't agree with me you're unskilled" to "since you don't agree with me you obviously have no idea what you're talking about". Very good.

Same applies to you as well, a lot has to do with skill, and to some extend, how comfortable the mouse feels in your hand. Can you guarantee me a 100% hit rate with your optical mouse as well?

I can guarantee you that every miss I make is down to my inability. That's the difference.

I nearly replied to you yesterday, but I wanted to say I don't disagree that comfort matters as well. We have a couple of people who've started framing optical vs laser as good mice vs worthlessness and as much as I've tried to veer people toward the correct option, I don't agree with that portrayal of the situation. However, in the same way I don't see the sensor situation as that extreme, neither do I see the comfort situation as such. I went from a G5 to a Krait 2013, which are nearly on opposite sides of the spectrum in terms of shape and size, and initially I wasn't at all confident about the switch I'd made, but after a week or so of solid use, I'd adapted. I'd gotten used to the new shape and I was comfortable with it. Sure, if you try and find mice that are going to be comfortable to you the first time you put your hand on it (despite having used a different mouse for however many months/years),  your selection may be rather limited, but otherwise of all the optical gaming mice that exist, there's likely to be at least one that you'd be comfortable with (not "you" specifically, but "you" in vague generality).

With that in mind, if precision is a concern (as it tends to be in FPS and competitive games), I see absolutely no reason to opt for an objectively less-precise mouse (laser), when an objectively more-precise one (optical) is likely to fulfill your subjective needs as well.

Well, when I miss a target, I put it down to my inability......I don't blame the sensor......a carpenter's only as good as his tools. Take the Tt Level 10M mouse, it has just about the same sensor as my Kone XTD, but due to the ergonomics of the Kone XTD, it feels so much more comfortable, and due to this comfort, I tend to play better......and longer. For the general public, one can go on and on about how much better optical is vis-à-vis laser, but they wouldn't know, and it doesn't make a difference to them. Likewise, I'm well aware of the advantages of optical over laser, mainly no acceleration, but it doesn't make a difference to me.....if I miss with my laser mice, in the exact situation, I'd miss with the best of the best optical mouse.

I've been playing FPS with laser mice since getting my G9, and I believe that once someone has a feel of a mice, be it laser or optical, he can play well with it. I dislike it when someone makes it sound like optical is the only option for FPS or gaming in general......I don't find that to be true at all.

Well, when I miss a target, I put it down to my inability......I don't blame the sensor......a carpenter's only as good as his tools. Take the Tt Level 10M mouse, it has just about the same sensor as my Kone XTD, but due to the ergonomics of the Kone XTD, it feels so much more comfortable, and due to this comfort, I tend to play better......and longer. For the general public, one can go on and on about how much better optical is vis-à-vis laser, but they wouldn't know, and it doesn't make a difference to them. Likewise, I'm well aware of the advantages of optical over laser, mainly no acceleration, but it doesn't make a difference to me.....if I miss with my laser mice, in the exact situation, I'd miss with the best of the best optical mouse.

I've been playing FPS with laser mice since getting my G9, and I believe that once someone has a feel of a mice, be it laser or optical, he can play well with it. I dislike it when someone makes it sound like optical is the only option for FPS or gaming in general......I don't find that to be true at all.

Of course it isn't the only option. It's the preferable option is all.

The problem is that we have a quantifiable deviation in the laser sensors...We know that they don't go where they should go and we can know to what extent that happens, so when we consider how the human brain forms expectations of where the pointer should go based on the movement of the mouse, it's hard to see how that imprecision wouldn't change the outcome of various situations. What you need to explain is how you know that when you miss with your laser mouse, you'd have missed with an optical. I'm sure you must have missed shots that practically scraped the side of someone's head...How do you know that some of those shots wouldn't have been a kill with an optical mouse, if only the acceleration of your laser mouse hadn't sent your crosshair that fraction too far?

Again, I'm not saying comfort isn't an issue (but to be fair, the Thermaltake is rather an extreme example in that it is such a unusually shaped mouse), but that if given a choice between say, a Kone XTD and a Kone Pure Optical while if the sensor and shape are your main concerns (weights/software having no baring on your decision - hypothetically), why would you take the XTD over the Pure Optical?

if given a choice between say, a Kone XTD and a Kone Pure Optical while if the sensor and shape are your main concerns (weights/software having no baring on your decision - hypothetically), why would you take the XTD over the Pure Optical?

I had gotten the XTD, didn't I? I could easily have gotten a G400s, or a DA 2013, or the Kone Pure as you had mentioned, but for me, the sensor type isn't critical....and, to be honest, I'm a tad shallow, the XTD with its adjustable LED color (and its adjustable weight though this wasn't a real concern) won me over. As I've said, laser or optical, no difference to me, what matters is that the mouse must appeal to me aesthetically.....why the heck did you think I'd gotten the Level 10M mouse? It looked great on the preview sites I'd visited.....did I not say I can be a tad shallow?

But I get what you're trying to say, ceteris paribus, IF there were two Kone XTD's, one with laser and one with optical, then yes, I'd take the optical version.......but let me reiterate this, when I shop for a mouse, that it has laser or optical sensor has no bearing on my decision making. That it must appeal to me, and be a brand I trust (which rules out Razer for everything) and that it can technically do what I need it to do for an enjoyable gaming experience.....those are my prime concern when buying a mouse. The public at large do not care about this, and so do most gamers in my neck of the woods....laser or optical, we are fine either way.

So, you've gone from "if you don't agree with me you're unskilled" to "since you don't agree with me you obviously have no idea what you're talking about". Very good.

No i have gone from it is more about skill  and experience than sensor type to.... it's more about skill and experience  than sensor type. 

I had gotten the XTD, didn't I? I could easily have gotten a G400s, or a DA 2013, or the Kone Pure as you had mentioned, but for me, the sensor type isn't critical....and, to be honest, I'm a tad shallow, the XTD with its adjustable LED color (and its adjustable weight though this wasn't a real concern) won me over. As I've said, laser or optical, no difference to me, what matters is that the mouse must appeal to me aesthetically.....why the heck did you think I'd gotten the Level 10M mouse? It looked great on the preview sites I'd visited.....did I not say I can be a tad shallow?

But I get what you're trying to say, ceteris paribus, IF there were two Kone XTD's, one with laser and one with optical, then yes, I'd take the optical version.......but let me reiterate this, when I shop for a mouse, that it has laser or optical sensor has no bearing on my decision making. That it must appeal to me, and be a brand I trust (which rules out Razer for everything) and that it can technically do what I need it to do for an enjoyable gaming experience.....those are my prime concern when buying a mouse. The public at large do not care about this, and so do most gamers in my neck of the woods....laser or optical, we are fine either way.

Right, well that's fine for you, but you are someone who seemingly knows what they want when shopping for a mouse. However, I have to assume people asking a forum for advice are concerned by more than aesthetics and in terms of recommending mice to other people, sensors are one of the few objective metrics of a mouse. Unless I'm given reason to believe precision isn't a factor, I'm going to try and point them in the direction of optical mice (but one they'll find comfortable too, of course), because it's what I believe they'll appreciate most in the long-run - a mouse that reliably goes where they point it (and is comfy ;)).

No i have gone from it is more about skill  and experience than sensor type to.... it's more about skill and experience  than sensor type. 

You never said it was more about skill, you said it was the sole factor. They're two very different statements.

I ALWAYS blame everyone else for my suckage,  that's good advice anyone can follow

I use a Razer Mamba for everyday clickings.  Its light, looks like a champ and feels right.

8427905241_898fcde365_b.jpg
_IGP1652 by cravinmild, on Flickr

For most games other than hair trigger FPS this baby is untouchable

8172285804_123a0df82e_b.jpg
mouse left side by cravinmild, on Flickr

Amazing mice in their own right.  The mouse pad is important in making these mice work properly,  you buy a $100 mouse don't cheap out on the mat

I ALWAYS blame everyone else for my suckage, that's good advice anyone can follow

I use a Razer Mamba for everyday clickings. Its light, looks like a champ and feels right.

Amazing mice in their own right. The mouse pad is important in making these mice work properly, you buy a $100 mouse don't cheap out on the mat

Most overpriced/rated consumer mice for PC.

This isn't Beats vs Bose :P

I ALWAYS blame everyone else for my suckage,  that's good advice anyone can follow

I use a Razer Mamba for everyday clickings.  Its light, looks like a champ and feels right.

Amazing mice in their own right.  The mouse pad is important in making these mice work properly,  you buy a $100 mouse don't cheap out on the mat

The Mamba is basically a wireless deathadder right? if thats the case I want a mamba 2013

The Mamba is basically a wireless deathadder right? if thats the case I want a mamba 2013

Different sensor. ;)

Different sensor. ;)

I meant in shape... either way they need to give it the same updates that the Deathadder 2013 got and allow it to use Eneloops just like the G700/G700s. O also they need to keep those 2 extra buttons on there or maybe move them where they are on the Naga 2014 either way I need them.