input on a new gaming build?

so im building my nephew his first gaming pc, he is ascending from 360 instead of getting a xbone, I have a build planned out but would like to see if you have any good suggestions for parts to be changed.

the pc part picker is here, http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HvRN4D, the budget is $600 and I will be giving him a case, disk drive, windows, and a 120mm aio cooler for the build.

id like to hear what suggestions you guys have for different parts. thanks in advance.

EDIT: Okay here's some rules for suggestions

MUST BE UNDER 600 including shipping before mail in rebates

Must be quad core

Seagate hdd

Prefer black and red, as that is color of case.

Also I prefer amd over Intel because of past underhanded business dealings by Intel. Vote with your wallet people.

And he wants to upgrade to Zen in a few years.

Also will be used exclusively for 1080p

Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gMMfcf

This pentium will overclock to insane speeds, and a 4GB GPU will allow for higher resolutions

i also added a SSD

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

NO PENTIUMS.

BAD.

its a gaming rig and the Pentium has super powerful cores

this thing has the world record for the fastest CPU clock speed achieved ever

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

so im building my nephew his first gaming pc, he is ascending from 360 instead of getting a xbone, I have a build planned out but would like to see if you have any good suggestions for parts to be changed.

the pc part picker is here, http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HvRN4D, the budget is $600 and I will be giving him a case, disk drive, windows, and a 120mm aio cooler for the build.

id like to hear what suggestions you guys have for different parts. thanks in advance.

Give me 10 and I'll have one.

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

NO PENTIUMS.

BAD.

The G3258 is a beast for the price, and it leaves a great upgrade path for an i5 4690K or similar later down the road.

Give me a few mins and I'll have something better. than the OP's list.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Nope, G3258 hasn't even broken 7GHz afaik. The record is held by AMD's FX 8 core, 8.429GHz

Nope, G3258 hasn't even broken 7GHz afaik. The record is held by AMD's FX 8 core, 8.429GHz

Oh, i wasnt aware of this.

but still, the pentium is better than the anthlon

Solitaire. 

The G3258 is a beast for the price, and it leaves a great upgrade path for an i5 4690K or similar later down the road.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gMMfcf

Solitaire. 

But those 2 cores cause so many problems in modern gaming. It's almost better to go with a 4 core AMD and then upgrade to an i5 later on. You'll probably have to change motherboards anyway, with the new architectures coming out.

going Pentium right now is only recommended if you're upgrading in <1 year.

Linus himself has said that 2 cores is just not enough for gaming anymore. So no pentiums
Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

If you want to play modern AAA titles, you will have trouble running them on a G3258. It may be fast enough, but four thread optimization prevents it from running well on a dual core.

If you want to play modern AAA titles, you will have trouble running them on a G3258. It may be fast enough, but four thread optimization prevents it from running well on a dual core.

With a $600, i dont see much else as fitting the budget, is there an I3 you would recomend?

Solitaire. 

But those 2 cores cause so many problems in modern gaming. It's almost better to go with a 4 core AMD and then upgrade to an i5 later on. You'll probably have to change motherboards anyway, with the new architectures coming out.

Also the Pentium is good if you are only planning on playing LoL, HoN, Dota 2, CS:GO, SC2, HotS, etc.

Linus himself has said that 2 cores is just not enough for gaming anymore. So no pentiums

Many games are moving to having minimum requirements of 8-core CPUs (FX procs) or 4-core (Phenom) for AMD or 4-core CPUs for Intel

Echelon Mk 2.11 

Spoiler
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-6500
  • Cooler: Cryorig H7 (With a 120 mm Thermaltake Riing RGB)
  • Motherboard: MSI B150M Bazooka Plus
  • Memory: 16 (2x8) GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury (Black)
  • Video Card: Sapphire NITRO R9 390 (Stock)
  • Storage:  1 TB Western Digital Blue
  • Power Supply: 520 W Seasonic M12II Evo (with custom extensions and cable combs)
  • Casing: NZXT S340 Elite (Matte Black)
  • Fans: 2x 120 mm & 3x 140 mm Thermaltake Riing RGB
  • Display: 22 " LG Flatron L227WTG-PF LCD (OCed to 76 Hz)
  • Keyboard: Logitech K120
  • Mouse: Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
  • Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/c9nmpg 

There. 

And guess what...

IT HAS A PENTIUM THAT RULES!

And if you don't want the pentium, theres always the little known chip called the core i3...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3cBgyc 

:P

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($121.98 @ Newegg) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($192.98 @ Newegg) 

Total: $585.90

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-10 13:04 EDT-0400

There ya go.

If he wants to play games later down the road that require quad cores, he can upgrade to an i5 4690K very easily, and it will absolutely destroy any of AMD's processors in single-threaded tasks such as gaming.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Would you like an upgrade path?

If no the 860k is a good choice but if you would like to upgrade the cpu later, go i3.. the pentium is great but suffers in anything thast will use more than 2 threads. With this you can get a used Haswell / broadwell chip in a few years (i5 or i7, locked or unlocked) and drop in for a boost.

Tiny bit over BUT.. it has an SSD, z97 motherboard and PSU that will allow SLI.. overall a kick-ass rig

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($108.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($47.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: OCZ ARC 100 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Superclocked Video Card  ($189.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.00 @ Newegg) 
Total: $609.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-10 13:06 EDT-0400

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

With the pentium you can get a z97 mobo, then upgrade the pentium to an i5 4690K or similar, I'd guess the i5 4690K will stick around for at least 3 years and still be a great option.

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($33.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($97.98 @ OutletPC) 

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($219.99 @ Newegg) 

Total: $605.86

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-10 13:10 EDT-0400

With the pentium you can get a z97 mobo, then upgrade the pentium to an i5 4690K or similar, I'd guess the i5 4690K will stick around for at least 3 years and still be a great option.

Then just save up and buy a 4690K, if you want a 4690K then buy one, no sense spending money on a Pentium if you know you're going to be spending more money on an i5 later down the road.

Would you like an upgrade path?

If no the 860k is a good choice but if you would like to upgrade the cpu later, go i3.. the pentium is great but suffers in anything thast will use more than 2 threads. With this you can get a used Haswell / broadwell chip in a few years (i5 or i7, locked or unlocked) and drop in for a boost.

Tiny bit over BUT.. it has an SSD, z97 motherboard and PSU that will allow SLI.. overall a kick-ass rig

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($47.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: OCZ ARC 100 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Superclocked Video Card  ($189.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.00 @ Newegg) 
Total: $609.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-10 13:06 EDT-0400

This, but a 4GB 270x

Solitaire. 

Then just save up and buy a 4690K, if you want a 4690K then buy one, no sense spending money on a Pentium if you know you're going to be spending more money on an i5 later down the road.

The exact same argument can be made towards the AMD processor, if they're going to have to upgrade it anyways due to sub-par performance, why not just save up more and get a better processor in the first place.

This, but a 4GB 270x

All options he can consider and change.. he could also go h81 and 290.. swings and roundabouts.. I'm not currently a fan of what AMD are doing so I generally suggest Nvidia but to each their own.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..