Do I need a 10gigabit router

robbiesoto

Do o need a 10gigabit router to have a ten gigabit network or can I just get a switch with 10 gigabit? Any suggestions for a 10gigabit switch or a 10 gigabit router if I really do need one.

What do you use your network for? Personally a 1gbit internal network would be more than enough as you would cap out your read/write speeds of your HDD's long before even being close to 10gbit.

Your whole network needs to support 10gbit to get that speed (computer LAN ports/wireless,switch,cabling).

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Do o need a 10gigabit router to have a ten gigabit network or can I just get a switch with 10 gigabit? Any suggestions for a 10gigabit switch or a 10 gigabit router if I really do need one.

For a local 10G/Bit network you only need a 10G/Bit switch. But to achieve 10G/Bit speeds on the devices connected to a 10G/Bit switch, those devices need to have 10G/Bit network interfaces. Also I wouldn't expect full 10G/Bit performance, unless you have some kind of SSD Raid or you are using those PCI-E SSDs that can go up to 1GB/s in read write speeds.

As for suggestions, main thing is look for cheaper ones. NETGEAR ProSafe is a good choice when it comes to high performance switches.

What do you use your network for? Personally a 1gbit internal network would be more than enough as you would cap out your read/write speeds of your HDD's long before even being close to 10gbit.

Your whole network needs to support 10gbit to get that speed (computer LAN ports/wireless,switch,cabling).

I am a content creator and I need the speed to set up a FreeNas server and a network rendering machine. I plan to upgrade everything that is connected to my 10gbit switch to 10gbit, including my computer and everything, and I also plan to run raid.

For a local 10G/Bit network you only need a 10G/Bit switch. But to achieve 10G/Bit speeds on the devices connected to a 10G/Bit switch, those devices need to have 10G/Bit network interfaces. Also I wouldn't expect full 10G/Bit performance, unless you have some kind of SSD Raid or you are using those PCI-E SSDs that can go up to 1GB/s in read write speeds.

As for suggestions, main thing is look for cheaper ones. NETGEAR ProSafe is a good choice when it comes to high performance switches.

I know that I might not get full speeds right now but at least I have everything set up for when I have an ssd raid, but I will have an HDD RAID USING FREENAS and I will also be connecting a network rendering box.

What is your budget to connect all your devices to a 10Gb network?

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

I plan to slowly put the network together, I just really don't want to pay $1,000 for a switch, everything else price doesn't matter too much for the network itself.

Well now that I think about it it's like &2,500us just for the network its self

I plan to slowly put the network together, I just really don't want to pay $1,000 for a switch, everything else price doesn't matter too much for the network itself.

Well now that I think about it it's like &2,500us just for the network its self

You realize that without some serious dough you can only dream of 10Gbps speeds... It's way ahead of it's time (consumer grade), and it will remain there for at least 1 more year.