Owner of 'Tox' ransomware puts key database up for sale

SIGSEGV

Source: http://pastebin.com/FfdDSbBh

Dear users,

Just one month ago, in one instant, all what I've studied for months fused in one brilliant idea, which was then named Tox. I knew it was something new, something that was completely different from what was already there. I started designing the whole thing in my mind, then I started coding, reading documentations, testing software.

After two weeks of non-stop hard work, the platform was online.

A little more than a week ago, I started posting links around the deep web, in the hope somebody would have given Tox a try.

Things exploded.

Even before the website was ready to host users, the McAfee blog was featuring the article about this platform. The the number of the users started growing. From 20 to 50, from 50 to 100, it was doubling every day. Infections, with a little delay, started growing too.

In just one week, the platform counted over one thousand users and over one thousand infections, with an average of more than two hundreds of polling viruses per half-hour.

Yesterday, 2nd June 2015, I decided to quit.

Plan A was to stay quiet and hidden. Well, I think I screwed up.

It's been funny, I felt alive, more than ever, but I don't want to be a criminal.

The situation is also getting too hot for me to handle, and (sorry to ruin your expectations) I'm not a team of hard core hackers.

I'm just a teenager student.

Some have said I think out of the box, others said I'm a skid who just developed the worst ransomware ever. I think that both opinions may be true, but one thing is objectively true: with Tox, I opened a door for a whole new way of thinking. I'm sure that others will try to replicate what I did. Not just for bad reasons, maybe somebody (maybe myself?) will find out how to do something good based on all this.

One last thing: if I really was a team of hard core hackers, with time and resources, this would have become one the greatest viruses ever.

In these days, in the chat, people helped me testing and debugging the virus, but the most interesting part is that they suggested me how to improve it. I don't think that such a great brainstorming has ever happened in the process of designing a virus. Users were spurred to help me improving the platform, for their own good.

What's next? I'm selling all this out because even if I didn't, somebody would have developed his own Tox-like version.

I'm asking my users to be patient, I'm not going to scam you. In a few days I'll ask you a bitcoin address in the case somebody pays some of your ransoms. I'll forward you your part.

If nobody's going to buy the database, in one month I'm releasing the keys, and victims will have their files automatically unlocked.

My choices are not linked to the recent external events, I pondered all these choices on my own, for my own good.

Sincerily, Tox

PS: This is my personal PGP key

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----

~Snip~

-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----

This kid sounds interesting...

Edit: Just to clarify, this ransomware is NOT related to the Tox instant messaging app.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Interesting read.

Spoiler

CPU:FX 8350 4.4 ghz (Upgrading to a 6700k!).Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R 2.0 (Upgrading to a Z170 Pro4!).GPU: Sapphire R9 290 (Arctic Cooler).RAM: 8GB Corsair XMS3 (Upgrading to 16gb ddr4 2400mhz!) PSU: Cooler Master B700. HDD: 120gb Hyper X Fury SSD, 500gb 5400rpm Caviar Blue Cooling: Hyper 212 (Switiching out with a Be Quiet! Pure Rock Slim for new build) 2x stock case fans.
Future Upgrades: h100i cooler, corsair sp120 fans, 1080p monitor, AMD->Intel CPU Switch

Looks like i just found something to buy.

Fuck the NSA i do what i want.

/s

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

tox, the messaging app? like this tox? https://tox.im/

I used that :S

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Source? 

No, Tox as in the Ransomware for hire service.

Source?

Oops, added it

I wondered the same thing

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Super interesting.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Snowden should buy it and use it to hold the NSA database ransom! :P

Now wouldn't that be a virus put too good use.

- snip-

I got hit with ransomware and I had to reinstall windows today  :(

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Mcafee buys the database so they can create a decryptor for it. It's the best way to buy publicity.

Different, you can read more about Tox here.

I got hit with ransomware and I had to reinstall windows today :(

sorry for your loss

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

Watch the NSA buy this and just put it on everyones computers, and demand a back door into everything before unlocking everything.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I always knew Tox was a hoax, ever since I first saw it on /g/.

I just had a hunch, a "secure" messenger that requires a lot of permissions on an OSDRIVE? sounds a bit sus from the get go :lol:

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Not sure what happened, the chat APP TOX which i tried in the past was actually a virus of ransomware-type? that got peoples PC's fucked up?and the guy is quitting because he cant handle it ?

Thats what i understood,thx for article wouldnt want to install Tox for another try in the future and get rekt.

Not sure what happened, the chat APP TOX which i tried in the past was actually a virus of ransomware-type? that got peoples PC's fucked up?and the guy is quitting because he cant handle it ?

Thats what i understood,thx for article wouldnt want to install Tox for another try in the future and get rekt.

I always knew Tox was a hoax, ever since I first saw it on /g/.

I just had a hunch, a "secure" messenger that requires a lot of permissions on an OSDRIVE? sounds a bit sus from the get go :lol:

Read the updated OP

still dirty as hell, should just release the keys to the victims in the first place

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Read the updated OP

Ohhh, thats my mistake for not checking the source :P

Either way I think the Tox messaging app is not very trustworthy. 

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350