Google Misses Out on Apple’s Slice of Mobile Transactions

BN-IU170_GOOGPA_M_20150605191417.jpg

What happens when you miss getting out of the gates? Well, you miss out on money apparently. 

You see, when Apple Pay was launched, Apple had the leverage due to their tokenization implementations and the banks were willing to give up a slice to Apple because of the security features, a year later however VISA, MasterCard (and others I imagine) have finally standardized those implementations and made them free. 

What does this mean for Apple? Well, two years down the line they likely will have no more slice. What does it mean for Google? They don't get a slice at all, since they were late to the game and didn't have the leverage Apple had. Its a small slice, sure, but when you factor in the millions (if not tens of millions) of users and the god knows how many transactions, those fees would add up handsomely. 

I think this is even sadder when Google had mobile payments so long ago yet, in typical Google fashion, sat on their asses with it and never pushed it until after Apple showed up and crapped on the mobile carriers and their closed off payment solutions.

Credit-card issuers hope the changes pressure Apple to trim or eliminate its fees, say industry executives, highlighting the speed at which the economics are changing in the evolving mobile-payments business.

Google disclosed its payments service, Android Pay, in late May, with wireless providers, payment networks, retailers and banks, stepping up competition with Apple Pay, which launched late last year.

Hundreds of financial institutions scrambled to work with Apple Pay, afraid of being left at a competitive disadvantage. As a result, big banks and other card issuers agreed to give Apple 0.15% of the value of each credit-card transaction. For bank debit cards, Apple collects a half-cent per purchase, according to people familiar with the service.

Visa unveiled its new tokenization service on May 28 the same day that Google announced Android Pay and said it had signed on to Visa’s service. Others will likely follow, because of the combined influence of Visa and MasterCard.

http://www.wsj.com/article_email/google-loses-key-mobile-payment-feesgoogle-misses-out-on-apples-slice-of-mobile-transactions-1433546638-lMyQjAxMTE1NjA2NTYwMzU2Wj

Edited by colonel_mortis
Made it night theme friendly

NFC payments have been around for a while. don't talk like apple invented them. It was actually google who started it, in android kitkat...

Edit: My member title is very accurate today

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Like banks and market chains would let either apple or Google get away with it...

Google is.. well.. Google.

So they missed a slice of the pie. not like it matters when they own the data coming out of the pie -_-'

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

NFC payments have been around for a while. don't talk like apple invented them. It was actually google who started it, in android kitkat...

Edit: My member title is very accurate today

That made me laugh :)

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

i dont think google takes a cut of NFC payment anyways unlike apple. at least there isnt from the walgreens purchases i made

Google is.. well.. Google.

So they missed a slice of the pie. not like it matters when they own the data coming out of the pie -_-'

they own the data the pie and they watch you eating the pie :D

i dont think google takes a cut of NFC payment anyways unlike apple. at least there isnt from the walgreens purchases i made

That's the point of this post, it's talking about the fact that because google waited for apple to come out and do there own nfc payments google missed out on the potential to get a cut

That's the point of this post, it's talking about the fact that because google waited for apple to come out and do there own nfc payments google missed out on the potential to get a cut

To be fair, Google gets their own cut by knowing what you purchased. This is Google. How would they possibly give up insight into what people are buying in their daily life and then gearing ads to fit those areas. 

To be fair, Google gets their own cut by knowing what you purchased. This is Google. How would they possibly give up insight into what people are buying in their daily life and then gearing ads to fit those areas. 

But I haven't purchased half of the things google advertises to me, let alone afford 90% of them.

Especially *insert mail order bride from random country* as well as stock in apple, which is currently what I'm seeing under your original post lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

google had nfc pay before apple did and google didnt take a cut and its unlikely they are going to take a cut when android pay comes out

Actually my thought is that the banks probably made the deal with Apple because they knew they would have to give up a lesser cut overall if you go by raw number market share. I don't think Apple asked first necessarily.

-------

Current Rig

-------

But I haven't purchased half of the things google advertises to me, let alone afford 90% of them.

Especially *insert mail order bride from random country* as well as stock in apple, which is currently what I'm seeing under your original post lol

So true.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

NFC payment was in Japan and Korea a century age. Maybe I wen a tittle too far, but the point is they had it before.

Google wallet has been around for quite some time OP

It lacks some of the implementations that Apple Pay has but will sort itself out once Android pay launches with the M release this year.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!