Haswell, Broadwell, Skylake.. what do this ''codenames'' stand for?

There are a lot of threads on this forum, mentioning these 3 ''code names'' or whatever it's called...

But what do they actually mean? :huh:

The only 2 things I know, is that i5 4690k has ''haswell'' architecture and that ''skylake'' will be released soon. An explanation is welcome ;)

Because people are stupid and need dumbed down names.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

It's just Intel's name for the specific design of the CPU. Each name represents a different design. Haswell is the current generation of LGA 1150 processors (i7-4790K, etc.) while Broadwell is essentially the same as Haswell but using different transistors (with a 14nm gate, while Haswell uses a 22nm gate). Skylake is the generation after Broadwell, with a different CPU core design.

Different generations/ architectures and variations e.g. "haswell refresh"- all cpus get 0.1ghz boost over their haswell counterparts. 

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

They are code names for each generation of processor whether it be an architecture change or die shrink.

I.e. sandy bridge (new architecture) -> ivy bridge (die shrink) -> haswell (new architecture) -> broadwell (die shrink) -> skylake (new architecture) -> canon lake (die shrink)

Like you said, it's just the name for an architecture.

Haswell are all current 4th generation (i3-4xxx, i5-4xxx and i7-x4xxx) CPUs from Intel.
Broadwell has for example better integrated graphics, but therefor overall lower CPU performance.
Skylake is practially replacing Haswell with a new chipset and socket.

There are also a few exceptions like the 4690/k and the 4790/k which are actually called Devil's Canyon and are based on Haswell. They simply use a different TIM (thermal interface material) and are higher clocked. They are also known as Haswell Refresh and are based on the 4670/k and 4770/k.

It's just Intel's name for the specific design of the CPU. Each name represents a different design. Haswell is the current generation of LGA 1150 processors (i7-4790K, etc.) while Broadwell is essentially the same as Haswell but using different transistors (with a 14nm gate, while Haswell uses a 22nm gate). Skylake is the generation after Broadwell, with a different CPU core design.

Ok, thx, so after reading other people's posts, saying that they are waiting for ''skylake'' to come out, does that mean skylake will be better then haswell?

And does bigger transistors mean better performance?

Like you said, it's just the name for an architecture.

Haswell are all current 4th generation (i3-4xxx, i5-4xxx and i7-x4xxx) CPUs from Intel.

Broadwell has for example better integrated graphics, but therefor overall lower CPU performance.

Skylake is practially replacing Haswell with a new chipset and socket.

There are also a few exceptions like the 4690/k and the 4790/k which are actually called Devil's Canyon and are based on Haswell. They simply use a different TIM (thermal interface material) and are higher clocked. They are also known as Haswell Refresh and are based on the 4670/k and 4770/k.

Ok, thx, so after reading other people's posts, saying that they are waiting for ''skylake'' to come out, does that mean skylake will be better then haswell?

This /\

They are code names for each generation of processor whether it be an architecture change or die shrink.

I.e. sandy bridge (new architecture) -> ivy bridge (die shrink) -> haswell (new architecture) -> broadwell (die shrink) -> skylake (new architecture) -> canon lake (die shrink)

what do you mean by ''die shrink''?

A simple way to group different architectures/cpus/potatoes. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Shrinking the minimum feature size that can be used on the silicon wafer, basically shrinking the transistors making them more efficient. Although the names given to the sizes (45nm, 32nm, 22nm, 14nm, etc.) aren't the actual sizes these days, they are a relativistic rating.

Transistor size doesn't affect performance directly, but smaller transistors take less power. Smaller transistors also means you can fit more of them in the same amount of space, which can potentially give you better performance for the same cost (as you don't use any more silicon)

Die shrink means smaller transistors.

One guy had a well, you know, with water.

One guy still has a well, but it is a big one, a broad one.

And apparently there is a lake in the sky.

Apparently there also was a bridge made of sand and one of ivy.

Literally just Intel's way of referring to different generations of their chips. Same for AMD.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

They are just names. 

When Linus talked to the one of the Intel guys (it was a specific livestream just for 1on1)  he asked about the naming scheme and as far as i remember there wasnt a specific route they followed when naming a chip. It was just some ideas on the board and they picked the one they liked the most.  The "Devil's Cannyon (Haswell refresh) was named that way because one of the people were on holidays or their office is near the Grand Cnnyon or something like that.

It was over an year ago, around offical Haswell refresh release so take my comment with a grain of salt :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

A simple way to group different architectures/cpus/potatoes. 

Best explanation ever, 10/10 IGN :P

Shrinking the minimum feature size that can be used on the silicon wafer, basically shrinking the transistors making them more efficient. Although the names given to the sizes (45nm, 32nm, 22nm, 14nm, etc.) aren't the actual sizes these days, they are a relativistic rating.

Thx for explaining that.

One guy had a well, you know, with water.

One guy still has a well, but it is a big one, a broad one.

And apparently there is a lake in the sky.

Apparently there also was a bridge made of sand and one of ivy.

had a well??

correction: One guy has a well, you know... lol :lol:

Literally just Intel's way of referring to different generations of their chips. Same for AMD.

I think they could make it a little more simple... don't you? ;)

They are just names. 

When Linus talked to the one of the Intel guys (it was a specific livestream just for 1on1)  he asked about the naming scheme and as far as i remember there wasnt a specific route they followed when naming a chip. It was just some ideas on the board and they picked the one they liked the most.  The "Devil's Cannyon (Haswell refresh) was named that way because one of the people were on holidays or their office is near the Grand Cnnyon or something like that.

It was over an year ago, around offical Haswell refresh release so take my comment with a grain of salt :)

I haven't watched that livestream... but anyway, thx explaining that Grand Canyon thing... ^_^

Best explanation ever, 10/10 IGN :P

Thx for explaining that.

had a well??

correction: One guy has a well, you know... lol :lol:

I think they could make it a little more simple... don't you? ;)

I haven't watched that livestream... but anyway, thx explaining that Grand Canyon thing... ^_^

Not really.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

They are architectures that work with the Tick-Tock system (Tick -> smaller transistors, Tock -> new architecture)

Tock -> Haswell (new architecture)

Tick -> Broadwell june-july (14nm manufacturing, same architecture as haswell but with smaller transistors of 14nanometers)

Tock -> Skylake september 2015 (new architecture, promising as intel doesn't speak a shit about it and AMD will come with Zen next year, which is a new arch that can literally double the performance they have now)

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

They are architectures that work with the Tick-Tock system (Tick -> smaller transistors, Tock -> new architecture)

Tock -> Haswell (new architecture)
Tick -> Broadwell june-july (14nm manufacturing, same architecture as haswell but with smaller transistors of 14nanometers)
Tock -> Skylake september 2015 (new architecture, promising as intel doesn't speak a shit about it and AMD will come with Zen next year, which is a new arch that can literally double the performance they have now)

ohhhhhhhhhh........right...... finally a simple answear. Thx man.

In the latest Intel nomenclature notice the suffix. How long it holds is unknown but so far, Intel is making it easy to keep it straight. Anything ending in well is basically the same architecture. Anything ending in Lake is the same architecture. Since the "Lake's" are coming after the "Well's" they are a newer chip. How good that is is open to conjecture. The Lake series hasn't debuted yet.  

Now, to add to the confusion, the -E series is also available. Well-E are a different slot size, chip size and a different chipset. So a Haswell and a Haswell-E are completely different chips, platforms and pricing. Yet are assumed to be in the same "family". Oh joy.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

In the latest Intel nomenclature notice the suffix. How long it holds is unknown but so far, Intel is making it easy to keep it straight. Anything ending in well is basically the same architecture. Anything ending in Lake is the same architecture. Since the "Lake's" are coming after the "Well's" they are a newer chip. How good that is is open to conjecture. The Lake series hasn't debuted yet.

Now, to add to the confusion, the -E series is also available. Well-E are a different slot size, chip size and a different chipset. So a Haswell and a Haswell-E are completely different chips, platforms and pricing. Yet are assumed to be in the same "family". Oh joy.

Thx for replying and confusing me even more (:

No. You want small transistors. Computer chips use transistors to process data by switching them on and off - that's literally it. Because of this, big transistors are undesirable while small transistors are ideal. Smaller transistors allow for three things - lower power draw, more transistors crammed into the same space, and faster switching.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Because people are stupid and need dumbed down names.

There's some truth to that, but the names they typically give the public are "Intel Xth Generation Core processors." 

My understanding was that Haswell/Broadwell/Skylake/etc. are Intel's internal codenames. They make their way to us via mentions in press materials and conventions.

Just random dumb names made by Intel to help the customers but it backfires... :P

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

On the topic of size, it's getting very interesting on die size. It used to be that the die shrink gave power efficiency which was nice for you, but it also meant that there were more chips per die so it got cheaper to manufacture. We're now at the ragged edge in tech for shrinkage. Broadwell was the first mass market 14nm cpu. Copperwall will be the first mass market 10nm chip. The difference between Haswell and Broadwell is not huge. Better TDP but that looks like at a cost of overclocking. There's just no way that those tiny traces will support monster voltages that it takes to get high chip speeds. And just as interesting is where all this extra real estate is going. It looks like the GPU side of things. Iris 6200 looks pretty good and you basically get it for free with every cpu. Zen better be spectacular.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!