Can I cut off this part of my motherboard pcb?

TomvanWijnen
Go to solution Solved by TomvanWijnen,

How much do you care if you destroy it? Sounds like not a tremendous amount. Why not?

It would cost me around 40 euros to get a new motherboard, so I do care. 

You will be much better off just cutting the case a little, since it seems there isnt much to cut anyway, just that one square "post". While i dont think there are any traces in that part of the motherboard (atleast it wouldnt make sense, even in the deeper layers, to go around) i dont expect dell to be sensitive, so its risky. 

You can check it if you have access to one of those red glowing IR lights for heating. That should pierce the glass PCB but not the metal traces.

I ended up not modifying anything, as I thought the power supply would fit, but it wont :( Was still fun taking apart the two computers, and putting them back together.

Everyone, thanks for your help! :)

Hello everyone,

Long story short: I have two old smallish Dells, one is pretty good, one is blweh. The pretty good has a motherboard that's a little bit bigger than the other motherboard. I want to put the bigger (and more powerful) motherboard in the smaller case. This almost fits, but one piece of iron or motherboard pcb is in the way.

Could I maybe cut off or so this piece, without destroying the motherboard, and with it still working?

7y8AjIQ.jpgwqELH0i.jpg

I would like to remove the part with the squares on it. Can I do this without ruining the motherboard, and if I can, how should I do it?

Thanks for your time! :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

I'm not sure what the squares actually do so I can't tell you. A bare part of the PCB can be removed, but if there's any hardware integrated into it like traces, the answer is no.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

No. Motherboard's have many, many layers. So even though you can't see any traces, there's likely to be some in the middle layers.

EDIT: The squares add thermal capacity to the board so it is equally heated when in the soldering oven.

Computer Science student proficient in OSX, Linux and Windows

(Dell Inspiron 7570): i5-8550u | Geforce 940MX | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | 15.6" 1920x1080 ScreenWindows 10 |

Hello everyone,

Long story short: I have two old smallish Dells, one is pretty good, one is blweh. The pretty good has a motherboard that's a little bit bigger than the other motherboard. I want to put the bigger (and more powerful) motherboard in the smaller case. This almost fits, but one piece of iron or motherboard pcb is in the way.

Could I maybe cut off or so this piece, without destroying the motherboard, and with it still working?

7y8AjIQ.jpgwqELH0i.jpg

I would like to remove the part with the squares on it. Can I do this without ruining the motherboard, and if I can, how should I do it?

why? and i think so i cant see any traces, can you show a photo with a torch behind it? 

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

I would just not cut up your motherboard.  most of us aren't electrical engineers who know the MOBO you are using, so we can't tell you for sure.

Hello everyone,

No. Doing this will void your warranty and getting a new case is better than getting a new motherboard.

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

You will be cutting off some parts grounding I am sure, after that the mobo will not work. You would need to use an Xray or something similar to see if there are any traces in there.

It would be safer and smarter to mod the case you are using, additionally, how it it that only the corner is restricting you? Can you show us pictures of the case too?

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

You will be cutting off some parts grounding I am sure, after that the mobo will not work. You would need to use an Xray or something similar to see if there are any traces in there.

At least some traces are usually visible with the naked eye. Any "lines" passing through the board are traces.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I'm not sure what the squares actually do so I can't tell you. A bare part of the PCB can be removed, but if there's any hardware integrated into it like traces, the answer is no.

It looks like there aren't any.

No. Motherboard's have many, many layers. So even though you can't see any traces, there's likely to be some in the middle layers.

EDIT: The squares add thermal capacity to the board so it is equally heated when in the soldering oven.

That's a good point, but I wouldn't know which components the traces would connect.

why? and i think so i cant see any traces, can you show a photo with a torch behind it? 

I tried putting the flashlight of my old phone under/above it (very very sharp), but it couldn't see through it.

No. Doing this will void your warranty and getting a new case is better than getting a new motherboard.

The motherboard is from 2008 and the case is from December 2006.

It would be safer and smarter to mod the case you are using, additionally, how it it that only the corner is restricting you? Can you show us pictures of the case too?

Sure, I'll post some pictures. Give me a minute or so.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

It looks like there aren't any.

I still have no idea what the squares do.

no dont cut anything off

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

Cut the case, not the mobo.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Pictures of case:

http://imgur.com/a/NoDnT

EDIT: Do NOT worry about powersupply etc, I've sorted that out.

Pictures of case:

http://imgur.com/a/NoDnT

If you decide to modify the PCB, you accept any of the consequences(good or bad). I wouldn't do it - you may screw up the board and make it non-functional.

regardless of outcome i have to admit i clicked on the thread just because of the initial question 

i was like:

O.o

so my input, having ZERO experience cutting a mobo OR pcb. is DO YOU NEED THE MOBO IF IT FAILS? if the answer is NO then cut away sir. with nothing to lose why worry. experimentation is fun and educational. however, if you need this board FOR ANY REASON or would have to spend money to replace it for any reason, then no way dont cut it unless you know from the manufacturer (dell will never tell you crap) 

just my 2 cents tho, there is likely something in teh middle layers we cant see. dell is super cheap and would likely not have any section of unused pcb or they would just cut it themselves
good luck either way

"Try not to think of the price of the part you are cutting in half" 

;)

"If measuring twice doesn't fix it, GLUE will!"

SNIP

That signature... It's kind of funny to see you give advice in something like this... And for the advice to be somewhat mostly reasonable...

OP should make a poll, to cut the mobo or not to cut, just to make it clear for him. (I hope he decides not to cut the mobo)

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

That signature... It's kind of funny to see you give advice in something like this... And for the advice to be somewhat mostly reasonable...

OP should make a poll, to cut the mobo or not to cut, just to make it clear for him. (I hope he decides not to cut the mobo)

extremely observant. hence why i could not resist the thread lol

;)

If you decide to modify the PCB, you accept any of the consequences(good or bad). I wouldn't do it - you may screw up the board and make it non-functional.

*snip*

I also have the option to cut away some of the iron. Might do that.

Bedtime now, so I'll let it sink in for a bit, and then think again about it tomorrow.

@   ABUSIV3: I don't "need" the motherboard, but if I break it, I'd have a spare 8GB of DDR2 and a spare q6600... Not a good idea, I would really like to use them now (had them since last year December, never really used them...

I also have the option to cut away some of the iron. Might do that.

Bedtime now, so I'll let it sink in for a bit, and then think again about it tomorrow.

@   ABUSIV3: I don't "need" the motherboard, but if I break it, I'd have a spare 8GB of DDR2 and a spare q6600... Not a good idea, I would really like to use them now (had them since last year December, never really used them...

Well i think you just answered your own question then. night mate, sleep on it im sure youll agree in the morning.

;)

Are you going to mount it with the I/O facing the wrong way like that?

Either way, cut the case not the mobo.

Are you going to mount it with the I/O facing the wrong way like that?

Either way, cut the case not the mobo.

Yes, I'll probably plug in an USB hub for memory stick, and other IO I don't need to change. It doesn't fit the other way, because it's too long for that.

Yes, I'll probably plug in an USB hub for memory stick, and other IO I don't need to change. It doesn't fit the other way, because it's too long for that.

You will be much better off just cutting the case a little, since it seems there isnt much to cut anyway, just that one square "post". While i dont think there are any traces in that part of the motherboard (atleast it wouldnt make sense, even in the deeper layers, to go around) i dont expect dell to be sensitive, so its risky. 

You can check it if you have access to one of those red glowing IR lights for heating. That should pierce the glass PCB but not the metal traces.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

How much do you care if you destroy it? Sounds like not a tremendous amount. Why not?

It would cost me around 40 euros to get a new motherboard, so I do care. 

I ended up not modifying anything, as I thought the power supply would fit, but it wont :( Was still fun taking apart the two computers, and putting them back together.

Everyone, thanks for your help! :)