Heart attacks from OS problems

YeroJero

So let me just run down my specs first:

gtx 580

i5 2500k

gigabyte g1 sniper m3

2tb hdd with a 60gb ssd cache

So the 2tb HDD has housed my OS and files for nearly 4 years before I decided to put a cache on it, which is also why I chose a gigabyte motherboard for the "EZ smart response" essentially Intel's smart response without going through the formatting procedure.

One day decide I want to move to SSD as the main boot drive. Bought a Samsung 840 250gb, no biggy, and found a piece of software to migrate the OS without the program files and users folder (around 1TB together) because I'm lazy and I don't want to reinstall W7. Also because I can still have my program files on the HDD with the caching available without formatting. :/

It was the lazy mans method. But then I started wondering; would there be any problems migrating the OS with a cache still attached to it? Well long story short I let it pass.

When everything was done and dusted, rebooted, loaded up from the SSD and it was just 420 blazing fast and I was happy...for the first few minutes. Lets see what wasn't compatible anymore:

• 37170964.jpg
  • All the Windows default programs gone (paint, wordpad etc)
  • Steam games (133 of them) uninstalled
  • All drivers non existent
  • Some System32 files appear as corrupt
  • Nearly all the shortcuts could no longer locate its original install folder

I was on the verge of keeling over and dying but most of all I was so scared for my videos and pictures, it was the first thing I checked. Thank god, it was still there and not corrupted. (hopefully, still haven't checked every file)

I basically had to backup, reinstall the OS, manually install past programs and let the system restore my settings from the backup which is, in hindsight, what I should have done in the first place instead of looking for a cheaper "easier" method.

I guess thats my story for today. Feel free to share any heart attack moments you've had with installing an OS or any part of your PC.

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690k @4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti | Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PSU: Seasonic G750 80+ Gold | Storage: Samsung 840 250GB, Sandisk Ultra II 960gb, WD Green 4TB, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4670k @4 Ghz w/ Corsair H80i | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W PSU 80+ Bronze | Storage: Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD

i have lots of heart attack moments with my win7! -.- it crashes like all the time... i dont know why and i dont know when specifically, it just happens from time to time.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Moral of the story. Don't be a lazy man ;)

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

I believe what happened is that the registry items are now link to nothing as you moved Program Files.

Program Files SHOULD NEVER be moved. EVER.

Install your programs elsewhere (that is why every setup gives you that option), or don't touch.

Fixing you problem will be more than a week of work, and you might still have problems, as you'll be going through the registry, correcting every path, item by item. There is A LOT of entries inside.

Here what you should do:

1-> Backup all your personal files in a different drive or external drive.

2-> If your Windows 7 disk doesn't come with SP1, download the setup now (it will save you a lot of updates). Have the Setup moved to an external drive, as if it's on the C:\ Drive, it will be formatted.

3-> Backup C:\Users\<ACCOUNT NAME>\AppData\Roaming (AppData is a hidden folder). This location is where all your programs and games settings are located. This will accelerate the re-install process when re-installing your system.

4-> Backup Steam folder including your games

5-> Double check you have everything

6-> Insert Windows 7 64-bit disk, restart your computer and boot from it.

7-> Now re-install Windows 7, clean, format C:\

8-> Once done, install your drivers, and first set of Windows Updates

9-> Then activate Windows

10-> Install SP1

11-> Update Windows 7 until no more updates

12-> Restore Roaming folder in: C:\Users\<ACCOUNT NAME>\AppData\Roaming. When you transfer, exclude the Microsoft folder. If they are files that can't be transferred, skip them, they are related to your old account settings can't be used.

13- Install your programs, and restore your games, and have fun.

What I recommend:

-> C:\ (SDD) - Have Windows and Program Files, and programs.

-> D:\ (HDD) - Have your personal folders (My Documents, My Videos, My Pictures, etc..). You can change the profile folder location of these folders, simply in the properties of each folder, under "Location" tab. When you'll do, it will ask you if you want to move the current folder. Select YES. It will merge the 2. Even thaught it's empty, it will merge the folder configuration, which is what you need. Else you'll have 2x My Documents, 2x My Pictures, etc...

Also, put your games in there.