Apple delays Pebble App?

Legion495

Hi LTT Guys!

Apple seems to delay Pebble's App on purpose!

Source:

http://mobile.pcmag.com/news/56808-pebble-apple-dragging-feet-on-pebble-time-ios-app-approval?origref=

Learning from its past mistakes, Pebble wasted no time shipping its next-gen color e-ink smartwatches to early-bird buyers. Apple, however, appears to be lollygagging on app approval.

The Pebble Time Watch app is still "in review" by Cupertino. "This unexpected circumstance pains us as much as it does backers with watches ready to set up," Pebble wrote in a project update. "We're doing all we can to mitigate the delay."
Pebble submitted its app to Apple in January, a month before launching its massively successful Kickstarter campaign, and Apple approved it on May 18. Pebble later submitted an updated version with minor bug fixes, requesting an expedited review, but is still waiting.

"We unfortunately cannot simply publish the original submission approved on May 18 due to quirks in the App Store submission process and rules," Pebble said.
The company considered just adding the Pebble Time to its existing Pebble app, but that app is also awaiting approval and has been in limbo "43 days and counting," Pebble said.
Apple did not immediately respond to PCMag's request for comment.

In true crowdfunding fashion, Pebble is rallying its fans to "kindly express our desire" for Cupertino to publish the latest Time iPhone app.
Fans with or without a smartwatch can reach out to Apple directly, or via and Facebook using the hashtag #FreeOurPebbleTime.
"Since the beginning, you've proven time and again that the Pebble community knows how to come together and accomplish amazing things," the company said.

In the meantime, Pebble suggests iOS users borrow an Android device to perform the initial smartwatch setup, add watchfaces, and install apps that don't require a paired handset. And, keep an eye out for more news about non-Kickstarter pre-orders (expected June 22) and the premium Pebble Time Steel.
Apple, of course, has its own smartwatch now, sales of which will expand to new countries on June 26.

I think this is not acceptable and Apple should hurry up. This seems like Apple doesn't want to have Pebble's around. I would go for Pebble instead of an "iWatch"  :lol:

If this comes up at WAN pls say "Legion 4 9 5" THX.

MfG
Legion495

9 of 10 voices in my mind say I'm crazy. The tenth hums the melody of Tetris.

Cynical answer - Its apple delaying the app to promote its own watch ( ultimately pointless since it will come out eventually)

Optimist answer - Apple have strict control and want the best user experience for its customers, delaying the app so its perfect and thoroughly tested

Realist answer, apple support is taking a bit longer then usual because an intern made a mistake or something completely random

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

the pebble app also got removed because it used the word pebble in the description and code.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Heyyo,

That is the flaw with iOS... the appstore. That's why I love Android more these days... it's not an egotistical company at the helm. Apple lock down the experience on their devices... Look at Mozilla, they openly said they won't port FireFox to iOS due to restrictions...

I bet you can't even change your default browser from Safari still without jailbreaking... something that annoyed me and was the primary reason I used to jailbreak my iPhone 4s... until iOS 7 fucking broke it.

Nah, fudge that, I've moved onto Android and love being able to tinker with my devices just like I love to tinker with my PC.

the pebble app also got removed because it used the word pebble in the description and code.

... please tell me you're joking. :\

Fucking Apple... they get worse and worse by the day... fuck Tim Cook especially.

I'm fucking glad they can't push around smaller companies like Solid Group Inc. in the Philippines. I'm proud to be a Filipino. :)

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/497302/economy/companies/apple-loses-vs-myphone-in-trademark-case-before-ipophl

Technology giant Apple Inc. lost to locally listed Solid Group Inc., the company behind the MyPhone mobile brand, in a trademark legal battle waged before the Intellectual Property Office of the Philippines (IPOPHL)

In a disclosure to the Philippine Stock Exchange Monday, Solid Group's Corporate Information Officer Josephine Santiago said the IPOPHL dismissed the trademark case Apple Inc. filed against them.

A copy of the decision dated May 19 said that while "iPhone" and "my/phone" are somewhat similar, "it is not sufficient to conclude that confusion among the consumers is likely to occur."

"Clearly, the word 'phone' conveys the nature of the parties' products and one cannot gain exclusive right to appropriate such term given that their products are mobile phones," the decision signed by Nathaniel Arevalo, Director IV of the Bureau of Legal Affairs, said.

Using Apple Inc.'s argument that their "iPhone" mark is "well-known and famous," the IPO said "it is improbable for one who is buying or using 'my/phone' products to be reminded of the mark 'iPhone'."

The IPO also noted the difference in "commercial impressions generated by the marks upon the products when seen in the actual market place."

The decision becomes final and executory at the IPOPHL level if Apple Inc. fails to appeal to the IPOPHL Director General within 30 days after receiving a copy of the decision.

More from: http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/497302/economy/companies/apple-loses-vs-myphone-in-trademark-case-before-ipophl

Ever since they got a hard-on over the whole Apple Vs Samsung lawsuit? Now they're targeting others... such bullshit man.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

And this is why pebble should have partnered with microsoft. Support and a platform to call their own. But noooo, their owner doesn't like microsoft (for no discernible reason), so won't let them have an official app (which microsoft solely developed) and doesn't want cortana built into the pebble watches (which microsoft were developing and had offered). It's all going to come back to bite pebble on the arse at this rate, as apple won't want competition for the apple watch on their own store and will stall as long as possible. Plus Google "could" (unlikely) implement something soon that locks out non android wear smartwatches/devices

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Cynical answer - Its apple delaying the app to promote its own watch (realist - ultimately pointless since it will come out eventually)

Optimist answer - Apple have strict control and want the best user experience for its customers, delaying the app so its perfect

Realist answer, apple support is taking a bit longer then usual because an intern made a mistake or something completely random

Ah I forgot to add that :D good shout - added it to my post above :D

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Cynical answer - Its apple delaying the app to promote its own watch (realist - ultimately pointless since it will come out eventually)

Optimist answer - Apple have strict control and want the best user experience for its customers, delaying the app so its perfect

Delaying the app doesn't improve it in any way  :huh: they aren't WRITING or even debugging it, they just have to allow pebble to publish it once they made sure it doesn't break the phone...

That said I also don't really believe it would be a boycott of a competitor. Although, the likelihood of that being the case will increase exponentially as time goes by. A month is not a huge deal, 6 are and could really undercut pebble sales.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Delaying the app doesn't improve it in any way  :huh: they aren't WRITING or even debugging it, they just have to allow pebble to publish it once they made sure it doesn't break the phone...

That said I also don't really believe it would be a boycott of a competitor. Although, the likelihood of that being the case will increase exponentially as time goes by. A month is not a huge deal, 6 are and could really undercut pebble sales.

No but they wont approve an app that is not 100% tested and could result in issues 

And this is why pebble should have partnered with microsoft. Support and a platform to call their own. But noooo, their owner doesn't like microsoft (for no discernible reason), so won't let them have an official app (which microsoft solely developed) and doesn't want cortana built into the pebble watches (which microsoft were developing and had offered). It's all going to come back to bite pebble on the arse at this rate, as apple won't want competition for the apple watch on their own store and will stall as long as possible. Plus Google "could" (unlikely) implement something soon that locks out non android wear smartwatches/devices

let's be real, who has EVER benefitted from partnering with microsoft in the long run? companies that do so either die off or get assimilated by ms. Look at IBM's pc division, look at Nokia. 

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

No but they wont approve an app that is not 100% tested and could result in issues 

that's hard to believe since you can crash the whole device with a single string of characters, and ios 8.0.1 (I think) substantially made a brick out of the phone. I'm not saying they don't check, but there's frankly nothing that justifies a 43 day delay. Almost no code is 100% perfect, and since they don't really seem to require such high standards for themselves you'd think an update to an app that had already been approved would be easy enough to certify.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

let's be real, who has EVER benefitted from partnering with microsoft in the long run? companies that do so either die off or get assimilated by ms. Look at IBM's pc division, look at Nokia. 

Microsoft is like the borg. They eat up everything thats to weak. So thats why they get stronger. 

Long term stability comes in different forms. It might not be a bad thing for pebble to eventually be integrated into microsoft, especially not if other ecosystems were to no longer support pebble (which is unlikely) Plus who in their right mind would turn down the chance to have cortana integrated into your smartwatch, well ahead of the competition, unless they are blind to sense? (Oh, and I think Apple actually benefited off a long term partnership with MS, thinking about it)

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

that's hard to believe since you can crash the whole device with a single string of characters, and ios 8.0.1 (I think) substantially made a brick out of the phone. I'm not saying they don't check, but there's frankly nothing that justifies a 43 day delay. Almost no code is 100% perfect, and since they don't really seem to require such high standards for themselves you'd think an update to an app that had already been approved would be easy enough to certify.

Not anything is 100%, and unforeseen things can happen, but since apple are pushing the whole "smartwatch" idea with their own watch, maybe they want to guarantee that other available smart watches offer a similarly smooth experiance

The only other main competitor to the Apple Watch is pebble, so it stands to reason they want the app to be 100%

Thankfully, this isn't an issue on Android. Can't wait for my Time Steel

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

What you're suggesting would amount to exactly what happened to Nokia. Microsoft does not have enough of the mobile market to warrant Pebble partnering with them when they can become far more widespread with something far more open like android.

If everything were 100% tested for issues, we would not have last-minute updates. What's more, all the programs would run on 1GB of RAM and an ARM chip if they were optimized properly.

Oh wait...

What you're suggesting would amount to exactly what happened to Nokia. Microsoft does not have enough of the mobile market to warrant Pebble partnering with them when they can become far more widespread with something far more open like android.

Admittedly yes, however having the chance to put a personal assistant in your smartwatch ahead of anyone else, leave the whole app development to another company and still be able to support other platforms like android (which nokia didn't have until too late) seems like a much missed opportunity. Pebble I doubt would have been bought out by MS, not when they are supported on android, iOS (sort of) and aren't using windows software, it would have been a pointless step for MS to buy them, but working closely with them to help improve them and get more people to windows phone through publicity would have likely been a sensible move.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

If everything were 100% tested for issues, we would not have last-minute updates. What's more, all the programs would run on 1GB of RAM and an ARM chip if they were optimized properly.

Oh wait...

I also said not everything can be tested 100%, but they can at least try, the Pebble time is not 100% out yet, its only out for early backers so maybe Apple didnt know, or care about the early backer date

or maybe none of know anything are are basing our speculations on our own bias

Who knows :D

Admittedly yes, however having the chance to put a personal assistant in your smartwatch ahead of anyone else, leave the whole app development to another company and still be able to support other platforms like android (which nokia didn't have until too late) seems like a much missed opportunity. Pebble I doubt would have been bought out by MS, not when they are supported on android, iOS (sort of) and aren't using windows software, it would have been a pointless step for MS to buy them, but working closely with them to help improve them and get more people to windows phone through publicity would have likely been a sensible move.

this is why no one wants to work with Microsoft anymore.

post-77647-0-41222000-1433435858.jpg

Here's the source... http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/11/01/android-still-dominates-with-81-percent-market-share/

If someone can find a more recent chart, I'll give you a cookie *waves cookie in air*

I also said not everything can be tested 100%, but they can at least try, the Pebble time is not 100% out yet, its only out for early backers so maybe Apple didnt know, or care about the early backer date

or maybe none of know anything are are basing our speculations on our own bias

Who knows :D

This seems to take really long considering it is Pebble who sent them the App. I believe it should have been out earlier otherwise Pebble would not step up and say that the App is still not on the Appstore. 

If someone can find a more recent chart, I'll give you a cookie *waves cookie in air*

This is a PIE chart.

MS is really weak in the phone section and they should integrate into Android imo, but this is a other topic.

Long term stability comes in different forms. It might not be a bad thing for pebble to eventually be integrated into microsoft, especially not if other ecosystems were to no longer support pebble (which is unlikely) Plus who in their right mind would turn down the chance to have cortana integrated into your smartwatch, well ahead of the competition, unless they are blind to sense? (Oh, and I think Apple actually benefited off a long term partnership with MS, thinking about it)

It depends on what the purpose is. Pebble is a crowdfunded company, selling everything to MS would sort of defeat the purpose.

Not anything is 100%, and unforeseen things can happen, but since apple are pushing the whole "smartwatch" idea with their own watch, maybe they want to guarantee that other available smart watches offer a similarly smooth experiance

The only other main competitor to the Apple Watch is pebble, so it stands to reason they want the app to be 100%

It's not exactly like apple to be trying to favour their big competitors... not to mention this is definitely hurting pebble much more than it's helping them. And again, they don't go through this much debugging even with their own software, why would they do it for pebble?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Dickish? Absolutely. 

Warranted dickisness? Aboslutley. iOS App Store is Apples playground, their rules, their final say. They can dick around as much as they want and its not like Pebble can afford to ignore the iOS market with its tens of millions of phones sold per quarter. 

I'm not sure being a dick is ever warranted, @Victorious Secret.

Unless we're killing fire with fire, eye for an eye, world blind etc ^.^

ontopic:

it'll be released and this will be a thing of the past. not a big deal unless it escalates.

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"