Asus Pen Stick - a new competitor to the Intel Compute Stick

It looks like Asus is really getting into the PC stick business. After partnering with Google to release Chromebit a few months ago, Asus revealed their new PC stick in Computex, called "Pen Stick".

Pen Stick's spec is similar to that of the Intel Compute Stick. Both have 2GB of ram, 32GB of storage, support 802.11b/g/n WiFi & Bluetooth 4.0, included a HDMI port, a micro-USB port for power, and a Micro-sd card reader. The major differences between the 2 sticks are on CPU, number of ports, OS, and cooling solution.

PenStick_1024x768c.jpg

PenStick_1024x768b.jpg

The Intel Compute Stick has an Atom Z3735F, while the Pen Stick has a Intel Cherry Trail CPU (No specific CPU model was provided), but both cpu come with Intel HD Graphics. Also the Pen Stick has one more USB port (2 USB ports in total, and those ports looks like USB 3.0 ports), and a audio jack (mic in/headphone out).

PenStick_1024x768d.jpg

The HDMI port

PenStick_1024x768e.jpg

The 2 USB ports

asus-pen-stick_04.jpg

The audio jack, micro USB port, and Micro-SD card reader

asus-pen-stick_03.jpg

The power button

In addition, the Intel one comes with Windows 8.1 with Ping, while the Asus one will come with Windows 10 (again, no specific OS version was provided). Lastly, while the Intel one has a tiny cooling fan, according to liliputing.com, the prototypes Asus showed feature a fanless design. Noted that this is not the final design of the device, and since the Asus stick won't be available till Q4 this year, the design may change during these few months. Unfortunately no working demo was shown udring Computex.

The Asus Pen Stick will comes in Black and White, and Asus plans to price the stick for around $150 or less, which is similar to that of the Intel Compute Stick.

http://www.gdm.or.jp/crew/2015/0603/117958(in Japanese)

https://liliputing.com/2015/06/asus-pen-stick-is-a-windows-10-cherry-trail-pc-on-a-stick.html

*update: MobileGeek has just uploaded a video about this PC stick....

it doesn't matter how small they get the pc, the peripherals still add bulk. a small laptop with a video out is just as good in 99% of circumstances.

I still don't quite see the market for these devices. As everything is moving to a portable formfactor.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I still don't quite see the market for these devices. As everything is moving to a portable formfactor.

Somebody who moves between offices and wants to take their PC with them without carrying any weight

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Somebody who moves between offices and wants to take their PC with them without carrying any weight

But as everything data related is moving to the cloud or a companies VPN that seems like a rather rare use case. And a USB stick would also enable you to carry most data with you.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

But as everything data related is moving to the cloud or a companies VPN that seems like a rather rare use case. And a USB stick would also enable you to carry most data with you.

CloudVPNs are expensive and rely on internet connection at all times, using a computing stick means you have all your programs and files with you everywhere

visiting a client? moving between multiple offices and home? need a second machine everywhere you go

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Pen Stick, choose one please. Are they talking about an new peripheral that uses a special delivery method to permanently write data to biodegradable media?

Seriously terrible naming scheme.

I find them extremely cool, I'd love to buy one to hookup to a tv, it can work as a streaming device, casual web browsing, even using it for a skype call or for a "parents" minipc.

Somehow I find it funny that they are competing with intel's compute stick, and are themselves using intel hardware...

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

it doesn't matter how small they get the pc, the peripherals still add bulk. a small laptop with a video out is just as good in 99% of circumstances.

It would be cool to use as an HTPC. It has bluetooth so your remote/keyboard could use that.

That would be infinitely better than what smart TVs.

Somehow I find it funny that they are competing with intel's compute stick, and are themselves using intel hardware...

Intel probably did it just as a proof of concept so others would continue its implementation using their hardware. Something like an expensive commercial for their CPU.

visiting a client? moving between multiple offices and home? need a second machine everywhere you go

Then get a laptop. What tells you you will have access to a monitor, kb and mouse at the place you go.