sennheiser hd 598 or beyerdynamic dt 990?

lukky211111

I'm not to much of a bass head I like a nicer mid range more than anything especially when I play guitar

You'd prefer 598s.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

gotcha i had been looking at another cable cuz of that sennheiser kinda did that a lil backwards in my opinion. the low clamping force is huge to me but do they fall off your head easily or do they stay on pretty well?

They are definitely rather loose, but as they are open headphones you won´t be running with them anyway.

For use while sitting or napping on the couch, no problem at all.

I have the HD 598s paired w/ an Astro Mixamp ATM. Using realtek audio manager, I boosted the lower frequencies just a tad, and there is quite a bit of base @ higher volumes. However, they still sound very good without the boost. You might want to invest in an AMP/DAC to get the most out of 'em though.

I have the DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm version and I can personally say they're the best headphones I've ever used.

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

I have the DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm version and I can personally say they're the best headphones I've ever used.

What's the clamping pressure like

askdjfasdf

Can't clamping pressure be fixed by putting the headphones on an object the size of a head overnight for a few nights?

Yep it should be safe for dt990 since the frame is metal

Can't clamping pressure be fixed by putting the headphones on an object the size of a head overnight for a few nights?

I stretched the band of my DT 880 by hand, it really isn't fragile. Still took it a couple of days to get it perfect but in the end it went from painful to super comfortable.

Painful at first but nothing a bit of stretching can't fix, they're incredibly comfy now that I've broke them in.

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

Painful at first but nothing a bit of stretching can't fix, they're incredibly comfy now that I've broke them in.

Alrighty this is a tough decision haha

askdjfasdf

Alrighty this is a tough decision haha

I wholeheartedly don't recommend DT900s for mid-range oriented content. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I wholeheartedly don't recommend DT900s for mid-range oriented content.

. Hmmm.....do you use an amp at all?

askdjfasdf

. Hmmm.....do you use an amp at all?

The Mayflower O2 amp.

The Mayflower O2 amp.

. Will it add low end to the HD 598 have you tried the fiio e 10?

askdjfasdf

. Will it add low end to the HD 598 have you tried the fiio e 10?

It actually added clarity in the low end. I haven't tried any other amp.

It actually added clarity in the low end. I haven't tried any other amp.

. Is the low end enough for heavy metal music? And doesn't sound thin? Or tinny?

askdjfasdf

. Is the low end enough for heavy metal music? And doesn't sound thin? Or tinny?

Low end is present but it's not prominent or overbearing. I don't think it sounds even remotely thin or tinny. As far as it producing enough low end for heavy music; I would say that depends on the bands you listen to. 

Low end is present but it's not prominent or overbearing. I don't think it sounds even remotely thin or tinny. As far as it producing enough low end for heavy music; I would say that depends on the bands you listen to.

. Hmmm...how about bands like avenged sevenfold or how about amps like the bogner uberschall or mesa triple or dual rectifiers?

askdjfasdf

. Hmmm...how about bands like avenged sevenfold or how about amps like the bogner uberschall or mesa triple or dual rectifiers?

Funny you mention the Dual Rectifier because I'm listening to a song that has it through-out as well as the entire album. The mid-range is definitely in your face.

I don't listen to A7X, however I do have Hail to the King and that song sounds fantastic through them. The slamming of the bass drum + mid-range focused guitars sound  great.

Funny you mention the Dual Rectifier because I'm listening to a song that has it through-out as well as the entire album. The mid-range is definitely in your face.

I don't listen to A7X, however I do have Hail to the King and that song sounds fantastic through them. The slamming of the bass drum + mid-range focused guitars sound great.

you sure its the dual rec and not the mark v or iv? I know John loves the mark series heads

askdjfasdf

you sure its the dual rec and not the mark v or iv? I know John loves the mark series heads

I think he used Dual Rectifiers on Six Degrees, Train of Thought and Octavarium. Systematic Chaos and on sounds like a Mark. Marks tend to have that sizzle in the trebble.

I think he used Dual Rectifiers on Six Degrees, Train of Thought and Octavarium. Systematic Chaos and on sounds like a Mark.

dont forget he also has the road king but that's still a dual rec just splitting hairs I'm sure he used the mark on solos though just cuz that's John's thing

askdjfasdf

dont forget he also has the road king but that's still a dual rec just splitting hairs I'm sure he used the mark on solos though just cuz that's John's thing

True

DT990 wouldn't reproduce those amps very well due to their middy tone.

True

DT990 wouldn't reproduce those amps very well due to their middy tone.

. Johns dimarzios are also a very organic sounding pickup too I love dimarzios more than any pickup brand out there such subtle mids and a tight low end

askdjfasdf