Zotac Gtx 960 or Sapphire r9 270x toxic?

Facug0

Yeah, like the title says, which is better?

The 960, but you can get the 280x for the same price which gives better performance

If you want my attention, quote my post or I will not see it. I ignore builds that do not use PCPartPicker.

If I have solved/answered your question, please press "mark solved" to make it easier for the rest of the community find the answer

the 960 is faster but you can get a 280x for the price of a 960*

*in the US.

I know this website is mainly US, but don't generalise. 280X isn't always better than a 960 either, plus they both have pro's and con's. So there is another generalisation right there.

I would go with the 960 still over 280x, half the tdp and more frequent updates. R9 280x is nearly 2 years old now.

Thanks guys, will definitely buy a 280 then! 

Edit: Guess not, I'll justo stick to the 960 :)

I would go with the 960 still over 280x, half the tdp and more frequent updates. R9 280x is nearly 2 years old now.

Who gives a flying fuck about tdp? And the 280X is better on almost every game.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

If you don't have a +500 watt power supply, don't bother with the R9.

GTX 960s overclocks like a muthafucker.  I wouldn't waste my time or money on AMD cards.

My ears.

In that case don't even bother with a proper cpu. Just get an intel atom and do passive cooling.

A nvidia card can get as noisy and as hot as an amd card.

My 280 doesn't even get above 70º after an hour of furmark running at 1100Mhz.

GTX 960s overclocks like a muthafucker.  I wouldn't waste my time or money on AMD cards.

Nice fermi grill brah.
kek

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

Who gives a flying fuck about tdp? 

that what I said When I did my Last Build and that thing raised the Temperature of the room like 15-20 degrees when I was doing anything with work load involved. 

It was All AMD and a Complete Volcano 

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

I would Like to Call Bull On that

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

yes, gotta love a good AMD vs Nvidia war. Keep it going, its funny

I'm trying ;)

In that case don't even bother with a proper cpu. Just get an intel atom and do passive cooling.

A nvidia card can get as noisy and as hot as an amd card.

This post, strawman2

A. you don't need an atom to passively cool it. I ran my 4670K passive in a Streacom FC8 Evo during prime95 no problems.

B. You can buy a silent CPU cooler.

C. I was talking GPU's, not sure why you're bringing up CPU's. 

Just looking at the temperature is ofcourse super skewed. It's noiseproduction at load you want to compare. 

http://nl.hardware.info/vergelijkingstabel/producten/274607-199968

MSI 960 sits at 27.5dB at load, the MSI 280X is sitting at 46.8dB. Heard of the 3dB rule of thumb? Yeah... Plus I can set my 2x92mm fans at 5V with my setup, because no component is power hungry and no heat is being produced almost. So even your casefans can be set lower, resulting in an even lower noiseproduction.

You can argue in terms of performance, but thermals and noiseproduction AMD loses hard.

yes, gotta love a good AMD vs Nvidia war. Keep it going, its funny

The problem is people forcing a unified opinion. Both cards have their merits. But most people are like "280X or GTFO", ofcourse they're going to get called out. They're the problem...

This post, strawman2

A. you don't need an atom to passively cool it. I ran my 4670K passive in a Streacom FC8 Evo during prime95 no problems.

B. You can buy a silent CPU cooler.

C. I was talking GPU's, not sure why you're bringing up CPU's. 

Just looking at the temperature is ofcourse super skewed. It's noiseproduction at load you want to compare. 

http://nl.hardware.info/vergelijkingstabel/producten/274607-199968

MSI 960 sits at 27.5dB at load, the MSI 280X is sitting at 46.8dB. Heard of the 3dB rule of thumb? Yeah...

A. It's called hyperbole.

B. Refer to point A.

C. And I gave you the most idiotic example I could find, since it's rather moronic to be comparing or even considering buying a card just because it's more silent and produces less heat.

You could also brag about how your rig will look cleaner with a card that just requires one pci-e cable.

Seems to do fine with 60fps on by 1080p screen.  My drivers are great and always up to date and I won't have to worry about burning my house down if I forget to turn off my computer.  Enjoy your 3 year old card  ;)

Yeah, a three year old card that still trades blows with a brand new super efficient gpu which just happens to be overpriced.
Your drivers are great until they gimp your beloved card, like what's happening to the 7xx series owners. That's Nvidia for you. Either upgrade or get fucked in the ass with a flaming card straight out of Nvidia™ Fermi™ HouseFire™. Or even better, with a wood screw.

GTX 960 performance is more than enough for 1080p, even the 2gb one. I have a FX6300 MSI GTX 960 2G and I get on average 60-70 FPS BF4 ultra and 90-100 on High. Despite what people say about getting the 970 instead it is still an insane card for the money and more than enough for most average games.

A. It's called hyperbole.

B. Refer to point A.

C. And I gave you the most idiotic example I could find, since it's rather moronic to be comparing or even considering buying a card just because it's more silent and produces less heat.

You could also brag about how your rig will look cleaner with a card that just requires one pci-e cable.

C. That one is called projecting. You're now deciding for everyone on this forum that thermals and noiseproduction are a non-factor, based on your own preferences. Well, i'm sure a lot of people don't fucking agree right there, lol.

You still haven't adressed any of my actual facts about both cards. Or are you arguing that 27.5dB vs. 46.8dB isn't a big deal? Or 80W vs. 190W during gaming, and it's effect on the casefan speed? :')

Not everyone games with headphones on y'know...Also not sure why you're being this incredibly toxic to everyone. Because notice i'm not saying the 280X has no place or is inferior. I'm saying that both cards have their pro's and con's. You're marginalizing all pro's of the 960 so you can force a unified opinion.

Yeah, a three year old card that still trades blows with a brand new super efficient gpu which just happens to be overpriced.

Your drivers are great until they gimp your beloved card, like what's happening to the 7xx series owners. That's Nvidia for you. Either upgrade or get fucked in the ass with a flaming card straight out of Nvidia™ Fermi™ HouseFire™. Or even better, with a wood screw.

An efficient card that is only 227mm2, compared to a 352mm2. Now imagine how many chips you get out of a wafer, and you'll see who is laughing to the bank. 700 series aren't being gimped, they're just worse at tessallation, which new gameworks features and games are using. And i'm not even going to comment on the bile that comes after it.

C. That one is called projecting. You're now deciding for everyone on this forum that thermals and noiseproduction are a non-factor, based on your own preferences. Well, i'm sure a lot of people don't fucking agree right there, lol.

You still haven't adressed any of my actual facts about both cards. Or are you arguing that 27.5dB vs. 46.8dB isn't a big deal? Or 80W vs. 190W during gaming, and it's effect on the casefan speed? :')

Not everyone games with headphones on y'know...Also not sure why you're being this incredibly toxic to everyone.

I'm not being toxic to you. I just find it simply illogical to consider decisive the amount of noise/heat a card produces or even the wattage it draws. When I buy a component I'm looking for performance for buck, everything else is secondary. 

As I've said, any AMD card with a non-reference cooling solution is as nearly as silent and cool as any other nvidia card.

My specific card, with stock clocks and stock fan curve is nearly silent and doesn't get much hotter than mid 50ºCs in-game. Almost the same with a 1100Mhz overclock. Furmark does get it up to 70ºC, though.

It idles at 28~30º.

And I don't really give a fuck about AMD.

I just happen to buy whatever gives me more performance for my money. And since I don't really like being fucked in the ass by a company that systematically fucks people in the ass, I don't really buy from nvidia. 

700 series aren't being gimped, they're just worse at tessallation, which new gameworks features and games are using. And i'm not even going to comment on the bile that comes after it.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/833422/geforce-700-600-series/can-we-get-an-official-response-from-nvidia-regarding-the-witcher-3-and-the-700-series-cards-/1/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/831639/geforce-700-600-series/nvidia-is-deliberately-downgrading-kepler-gpus-performance-in-favor-of-maxwell-

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/833327/geforce-700-600-series/kepler-gpu-performance-in-witcher-3-is-unacceptable

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/833016/geforce-700-600-series/gtx-780-possible-fail-as-performance-in-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-/

Yeah, sure. "Gameworks features..." Nice shilling there.

(1) I'm not being toxic to you. I just find it simply illogical to consider decisive the amount of noise/heat a card produces or even the wattage it draws. When I buy a component I'm looking for performance for buck, everything else is secondary. 

(2) As I've said, any AMD card with a non-reference cooling solution is as nearly as silent and cool as any other nvidia card.

My specific card, with stock clocks and stock fan curve is nearly silent and doesn't get much hotter than mid 50ºCs in-game. Almost the same with a 1100Mhz overclock. Furmark does get it up to 70ºC, though.

It idles at 28~30º.

(3) And I don't really give a fuck about AMD.

I just happen to buy whatever gives me more performance for my money. And since I don't really like being fucked in the ass by a company that systematically fucks people in the ass, I don't really buy from nvidia. 

(1) That's your preference, why speak for everyone else? Ask someone what they're looking for in the card before telling them what to buy. Maybe they have sensitive hearing or they've got a very quiet room. You can't know, so ask. Don't project.

(2) And I just gave you an MSI 280X and an MSI 960 and they're seperated by 46.8-27.5 = 21.1dB. That's a lot. What you find near-silent in your card, is loud for a 960. How can you expect two cards, both with aftermarket coolers, one with 80W and the other 180-190W+ (actual wattage), to be equally silent. That's physically impossible.

(3) this is more projecting, that's your preference, not everyone else's. Speaking about fucking people in the ass, selling customers the same card 3 times or even 4 times, mishmashing cards with GCN 1.0 up to 1.2, selling cards which can fry multi-rail PSU cables isn't "fucking in the ass" degree to you? I'd say that's some double standards.

This statement is False. only 1 thing you can OC a 960 on and nothing else. You can slide the Power bar and all that all you want . It is locked. SO sorry.

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540 

*in the US.

I know this website is mainly US, but don't generalise. 280X isn't always better than a 960 either, plus they both have pro's and con's. So there is another generalisation right there.

ceb3d9ceecfc9ca1650fa7bf27150269.png

For the performance difference, there isn't much of a price difference in the UK.

Not disagreeing just helping out

(snip) NO RAGE!!! <_<  

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540