Properties of Mineral Oil

Can people tell me some of the applications and properties of mineral oil.

thanks

Sparky

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

What do you mean?

Good conductor of heat, not as good as water, better than air.

Not conductive, and will not become conducive when exposed to metal

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

What do you mean?

Good conductor of heat, not as good as water, better than air.

Not conductive, and will not become conducive when exposed to metal

Find a woman who will sleep with you and let you cover her with it.

Whole evening of entertainment.

There are 2 types of people on LTT ^^

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

It is a viscous, lubricating, and transparent fluid. It's heat conductivity properties are higher than air, however lower than water. It is not an electrically conductive fluid, so it will not short out electronics nor will it ever pick up metal ions when exposed to metals. It is often used in "submerged" PC builds, where a PC is submerged in mineral oil, usually in a fish tank or other medium to hold fluid. That's about as far my knowledge extends on mineral oil.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Oil makes everything better

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

thanks

Sparky

As many others have said it's a non-conductive fluid used for oil cooling PC's and lubrication.

A very common use case for mineral oil was for pole or pad mounted transformers for the power grid to help cool the system and keep it eclectically isolated from rain and suppress arching, nowadays we mainly use synthetic fluids which work even better and are non flammable.

Well that did escalated quickly, and tbh im not shocked impressed so bravo and thanks everyone :)

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

thanks

Sparky

If applied correctly with the right amounts in somebody's drink, (Do Not Use the industrial kind) can end up to be a fantastic, epic prank. :ph34r:

Disclaimer: I do not consent or advertise the use of Mineral Oil as a diuretic or constipation solution. Misuse or overdose can cause harm if used improperly. (Actually use Castor oil its better anyway and just as effective)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

If applied correctly with the right amounts in somebody's drink, (Do Not Use the industrial kind) can end up to be a fantastic, epic prank. :ph34r:

slim fast....

after make a mITX oil cooled PC, one thing I will say is plan ahead, and be prepared for a mess if you run into issues. DOUBLE CHECK you do NOT have rubber in the oil. also don't use quick disconnects (forget which brand) the o-rings hardened and broken them (rip $50). its VERY impractical but cool to look at. but the worst thing is puget no longer sells kits, which makes getting into it easy.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Go to the convenience store, find the laxative section and you can get like 500 mL of mineral oil for $10.

Poor a little out onto your hands and feel how terrible it feels, and then decide never to use it for a PC build.

If you get that stuff on a surface it's impossible to really wipe it off.  When I've worked with it in the lab the outside of the bottles we stored it in would always be slick with the stuff.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti