GTX 980Ti has no backplate? Again?

randy hutajulu

Get a 980 TI with an aftermarket cooler? Looking at a picture of the SC+ from EVGA right now and it looks like it has a backplate.

Nope.. This time i'll get reference one. I had so many bad experience with aftermarket "cherry pick" GPU including my gigabyte GTX 780.

Even my reference GTX 680 (on my other rig) can overclock way better than my 780.

I've talked with many of my friends about their own GPU performances and yea.. Everyone who use reference card always have a better overclocking card. Way way better.

I don't know if my theory is right or wrong, but that's from my own experience.

And to be honest, i really love nvidia reference design. It looks so cool.

Just buy one.

/thread

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Just why..??

Since the backplate is normaly not thermal connected to the chips on the PCB it actually blocks airflow and decreases the cooling performance. The Titan X has VRAM chips on the back that heat up to 90°C. Bad idea to add a backplate without thermal pads. Well for 1000$ them may should have made a proper backplate with thermal pads to cool the VRAM.

The 980Ti has no VRM on the back. So they could have made one. But they may looked at the Titan an said: People buy it anyway so we don't care....

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

in my eyes a back plate is useless. it has almost 0 cooling advantages and just is a "looks" thing.. if i wanted to change the look of my card I'd stick a picture of scarlette johansson on it.. slightly better looking than a flat bit of black metal..

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

in my eyes a back plate is useless. it has almost 0 cooling advantages and just is a "looks" thing.. if i wanted to change the look of my card I'd stick a picture of scarlette johansson on it.. slightly better looking than a flat bit of black metal..

slightly better looking lol? u must be joking

slightly better looking lol? u must be joking

lol ok one causes trouse4 bulges the other makes a dent on my pocket haha

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Im pretty sure the backplate is mostly on there to stop the card from bending or am i completely wrong? Dont think its got much to do with cooling.

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

They claim not including a backplate prevents the cards blower fan from choking in tight sli configurations where the cards are placed right next to each other in cases with reduced airflow. Open air coolers are affected less by this.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

Im pretty sure the backplate is mostly on there to stop the card from bending or am i completely wrong? Dont think its got much to do with cooling.

Its an aesthetic/cooling solution.

for cooling it's supposed to spread heat from the back of the card as well as to stop turbulence off the pcb.

some add them as pcbs are apparently try ugly.

a stock cooler will stop a card bending as it has several mounting points.

if a card cannot support its own weight it's poorly designed.

if anything a backplate adds more weight so will cause more sag in the pci lane.

Its an aesthetic/cooling solution.

for cooling it's supposed to spread heat from the back of the card as well as to stop turbulence off the pcb.

some add them as pcbs are apparently try ugly.

a stock cooler will stop a card bending as it has several mounting points.

if a card cannot support its own weight it's poorly designed.

if anything a backplate adds more weight so will cause more sag in the pci lane.

I agree that the extra weight causes more sag. That's the case with my Asus gtx 770 with the dcu2 cooler and backplate.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

The Titan X, a thousand dollar card, didn't have a backplate...

Now, the 980 Ti also didn't come with a backplate...

But their 980 has one? The hell?

Titan X didn't have one because it has RAM chips on the back, and a backplate would've been a problem in closely packed SLI setups.

The 980ti though? No idea.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

I don't get the back plate craze. It borders on totally irrelevant to me as long as the cards PCB isn't some puke green color. If its black It looks just as good as a backplate to me. The only way it would make a difference is if it helps in lowering temps, but in SLI it can then have the exact opposite effect so its a catch 22(and most back plates don't lower temps anyway).

So for me the only benefit to a back plate is preventing GPU sag, and then only if you know you are never going to SLI and restrict airflow and increase temps, which is far more important to me than the potential for some GPU sag. I guess maybe they would be a little easier to clean, but even then its not cut and dry because what dust does work its way under the backplate is going to be harder to remove and be more likely to trap heat.

I think the main reason Nvidia didn't include one was to lower costs and make the card cheaper to buy, and because they rushed the 980 ti in order to beat the Radeon Fiji XT's release, and didn't want to do anything to delay it, which designing and manufacturing a bunch of back plates might have done.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

There will be different variations of the 980ti that will include backplates. Just buy one that comes with one or get an aftermarket one to put on the reference if you really want it. There are a lot of people who buy the reference design cards to put waterblocks or other forms of coolers on them, that require proprietary backplates.

Don't buy the reference card if you want a backplate then.

Eh? Can u expalin this sir? This is interesting

I don't know why it has no backplate and its really bugging me :/

Its just crazy.

The Titan X, a thousand dollar card, didn't have a backplate...

Now, the 980 Ti also didn't come with a backplate...

But their 980 has one? The hell?

Didn't the 970 have the same one?

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

That's why i made this post buddy.

And the problem is, i plan to buy one and i fell in love with 980's backplate. Thought that this one will have it too

There are times that less is more. But if I were to pay for a GPU of that price, atleast give it a damn backplate.

Titan X didn't have one because it has RAM chips on the back, and a backplate would've been a problem in closely packed SLI setups.

The 980ti though? No idea.

The Titan X, by design, I can understand... even though I hated that it didn't have double precision. The 980 Ti... COME ON NVIDIA! YOU STINGY LITTLE SHIT!

I don't know why it has no backplate and its really bugging me :/

Its just crazy.

Didn't the 970 have the same one?

I'm pretty sure it has one... if not, then with other board partners. 

A wooping 20$.

No, it doesn't cost NVIDIA $20. It costs them very much less than that. I would guess $2-4 is their cost.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, ASUS Maximus VII Hero, i7-4790K @ 4.5GHz, Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX 980Ti SC, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2X8GB 1866Mhz CL9, 2X Crucial M500 960GB, EVGA SuperNOVA 1050 GS, ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q w/ nVidia 3D Vision 2