PC First Person Shooters: Know of any good ones?

Gypopotamus

So I'm a FPS fan, and I admittedly started as a console player (Halo first, then CoD). 

Now I like my FPS games fast. Really fast. I like Tribes, but that's not the fast I'm talking about, I mean fast paced. I've played a bit of Unreal Tournament, and that's along the right lines, but the focus on explosive weapons doesn't really do it for me.

I have played Counter Strike (Source and GO), but I'm not a huge fan. This is because of a few game mechanics that ruin it for me. The main one is the fact that you slow down when you get shot. This is, in my eyes, one of the worst crimes an FPS game can commit: not letting you come back from losing a gun fight. Another example of annoying movement mechanics ruining the feel of a game would be in CoD (yes I just mentioned CS and CoD in the same paragraph), where your movement is slowed after you jump, there is limited sprint, and the climbing is far too slow.

As I mentioned, a focus on explosive weapons is not ideal, but I realise most games where explosive weapons aren't that prevalent have hit-scan, as fast moving projectiles are difficult to simulate (I suppose my dream game hasn't been made yet), but I'm OK with hit-scan.

Another thing I don't like (yes i realise this is turning into a bit of a rant), is the cone-of-fire style of recoil simulation. I want my bullets to go where I am pointing, despite how unrealistic this is, because in multiplayer ever gun fight should be decided by player skill alone, not by the algorithms that decide which bullets go where in a cone-of-fire.

What I want is a multiplayer FPS with primarily either hit-scan or non-explosive projectile weapons, that have consistent handling characteristics. I want fast movement, that doesn't feel like you are ice-skating (like Nexuiz), and doesn't punish you for unorthodox movement like jumping, strafing, climbing and diving. Then on top of all of that, I want it to be balanced, fun, and have good map design.

As I write this I realise that it doesn't exist, but is there anything close that I might enjoy?

Thanks
-Joe

Half life 2

Battlefield

TF2 is free and fun if you just wanna mess around

If you want something first person non shooter check out chivalry, (You can chop peoples limbs off)

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Battlefield is according to me the best FPS franchise

Most realistic by far. imo

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Battlefield 2 is a fantastic game! 9.99 on steam right now with alllll the expansions! Also there are some pretty awesome mods for it like AIX 2.0

arma is more realistic, bf isn't realistic at all, it's fun doh :)

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

You don't like Cone of fire style recoil? You can still have that in a game and have it purely decided on player skill. Sounds like a nooby game you're looking for, no offence. Personally I really enjoy the smaller maps on Battlefield 3. 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

At least much more realistc Than COD

It's as close as it gets though. Needing to compensate for bullet drop over distance is awesome. Even simple things like the HUD shake when running is awesome.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

At least much more realistc Than COD

bomberman is even more realistic than cod...

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

1. Battlefield is not fast paced and has cone-of-fire recoil patterns.
2. Half Life 2 is not a multiplayer game. Great, though it is, It's not what I'm looking for.
3. TF2 does fit my description, but I would say it's not really balanced or skill based enough for me.

4. Battlefield is not in any way realistic.

5. Arma is not really a competitive multiplayer FPS, I would categorize it more as a Simulator.
6. Cone-of-fire recoil does not in any way determine the outcome of a gunfight in a way that correlates with player skill. By it's very nature, COF recoil is random, so the worse player could win. If you remove it, and only have recoil that the player can directly influence (through rate-of-fire or by simply countering it) then the game is more skill based. The game I am looking for is not in any way "nooby", I am looking for something which is actually competitive.

One of the best FPS games in my opinion is Counter Strike 1.6 which in my opinion in the best team based tactical shooter to have ever been made!

From what you stated CS 1.6 would be an ideal choice as  it is really down to an individuals skill with multiple things like movement and game awareness.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 was a pretty fun game also but for a more skill based environment it's either Quake Live or CS 1.6.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

1. Battlefield is not fast paced and has cone-of-fire recoil patterns.

2. Half Life 2 is not a multiplayer game. Great, though it is, It's not what I'm looking for.

3. TF2 does fit my description, but I would say it's not really balanced or skill based enough for me.

4. Battlefield is not in any way realistic.

5. Arma is not really a competitive multiplayer FPS, I would categorize it more as a Simulator.

6. Cone-of-fire recoil does not in any way determine the outcome of a gunfight in a way that correlates with player skill. By it's very nature, COF recoil is random, so the worse player could win. If you remove it, and only have recoil that the player can directly influence (through rate-of-fire or by simply countering it) then the game is more skill based. The game I am looking for is not in any way "nooby", I am looking for something which is actually competitive.

bf is fast paced on pc with 32vs32 xD

One of the best FPS games in my opinion is Counter Strike 1.6 which in my opinion in the best team based tactical shooter to have ever been made!

From what you stated CS 1.6 would be an ideal choice as  it is really down to an individuals skill with multiple things like movement and game awareness.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 was a pretty fun game also but for a more skill based environment it's either Quake Live or CS 1.6.

I, for whatever reason, have never played Quake, and I have barely played 1.6. I'll probably give 1.6 a shot later, but I don't have quake live. Is it in the Steam sale?

bf is fast paced on pc with 32vs32 xD

No, BF3 is HECTIC on PC with 32v32, there is a huge difference. The gameplay it's self is slow. (The time-to-kill, the way the maps are set out, the objectives and the gun handling).

Quake 3 arena is pretty fast paced, has about the same gfx as a console.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

That is the biggest piece of shit i have ever heard.

Compare, side-by-side, a game of BF3 and a game of Counter Strike, Unreal Tournament, Quake, or even TF2. You may notice a slight difference in speed...

No. Arma :D

Planetside 2 is a rather fast paced game, you have a respawn timer of about 20 sec when you die. It depends what you compare it too obviously, but might be worth checking out if you liked games like halo (sci-fi fps)

This is such a hard question... I don't think there is a game that fits your choice. In the console days I loved Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter for it's tactical aspect (aka sitting in a bush or grass and waiting for the enemy to make a move) and it was the best damn thing there existed. Probably why I never got into CS 1.6 and games like that.

Quake 3 arena is pretty fast paced, has about the same gfx as a console.

I'm by no means looking for a console-like experience. I mentioned I started on console to give you context. I have played Halo and CoD to death, but my taste in games has matured, especially since I moved to PC, so I am looking for a game which is different. But yeah I think quake is a good suggestion. :)

Compare, side-by-side, a game of BF3 and a game of Counter Strike, Unreal Tournament, Quake, or even TF2. You may notice a slight difference in speed...

how much have you played Battlefield?

Unreal tournament my man.

Go obtain the original and experience some awesome old school fun. If you need speed set game speed to 200%