1440p 120hz monitor

Ultimate_PIMP

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?index=0&sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=261247456277

Is this new or am I just late to the party?

Every forum I've been too says that 120hz on 1440p is impossible.

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

You double posted this?

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

You double posted this?

Probably an accident, anyway. I wonder if this is BS or did he actually manage to overclock the monitor... smells fishy

It is not new. This is fake 120Hz.
1- When you get the monitor its at 60Hz, you need to overclock it, and you have to be very lucky, to get it up to 120Hz

2- IPS panel are not fast enough for 120Hz. The LCD liquid in the IPS panel, can't turn fast enough, to reach such needed speeds. You get a blurry effect on motion, like motion blur, which makes some people believe that they see 120Hz because the image is smoother, but in reality it's just blur, and potentially drops even frames as the panel can't catch up. If you have a proper 120Hz TN monitor, you can see that the IPS panel at 120Hz is just crap.

3- Also, these monitor, the reason why they are so cheap, is that they are reject panel from LG or Samsung, put in the most cheapest enclosure you can possible imagine, to cut the price, with button that does nothing, be side 5 to 8 brightness level up and down (depending on the model), with a lot of time no on screen menu. Oh an 720$ is a rip off price, they are usually around 300$. While for some reason people think that a faulty monitor stops at dead pixels, they are many other faults the monitor can have, such as miss built grid which allows to see star effect on black, at 1 or more pixels, where you basically see the backlight because the grid is not perfect. It could be a back light issue, where it's it's visually uneven, or leaked, a or some pixels can be blurry, durability issue (physically or normal wear of the monitor won't last the usual original set warranty period for the panel), and so on.

4- These monitor have 0 warranty. Their 1 year warranty is a joke.. 1 year.. come on!, Also it's filled with conditions and exception to not cover you, let a lone the dead pixel policy, and if you manage to have it covered, depending on where you live, people had to pay 200-300$ shipping, PLUS duty fees AGAIN, and it's being replaced with another monitor, which as you guess it, can also have it's shared of problems as it's a manufacture reject from LG or Samsung that they bought for peanuts.

In this case you are going to spend 750$ for a faulty screen. Now, I am expecting someone come in and say how their monitor is perfect, yet they come from a 100$ 8 year old shitty TN panel, so anything will look like it came from the heavens. And how proper manufacture also have faults, which is correct, you might get a faulty monitor from Dell, ASUS, Lenovo, HP, Acer, etc. but there is a difference between bad luck, and nearly always faulty unless you are lucky where you got the one monitor that was rejected from the small batch and is fine, or at least that the faults are not visible, ignoring how many years the monitor will actually last.

If you know the risk, and you are fine with that, especially if you really want a 2560x1440 monitor and you are on a tight budget, and you know what you'll be getting. These cheap ebay monitor, are actually a great deal. You won't find something remotely close in such a great deal. I mean 300$ for a 1k$ monitor? WOW! Honestly! Hence why some people buy and like theirs. Might have faults, but doesn't bother them.

If you know the risk, and you are fine with that, especially if you really want a 2560x1440 monitor and you are on a tight budget, and you know what you'll be getting. These cheap ebay monitor, are actually a great deal. You won't find something remotely close in such a great deal. I mean 300$ for a 1k monitor? WOW! Honestly!

I think by now, most of us have given up on 1440p/1600p since 4K is becoming mainstream relatively faster and we should be seeing more 4K monitors and cheaper ones as well before we see cheap 1400p/1600p monitors.

At least in my opinion and view of the subject.

Also great write up!

Thanks. Yes you are correct. But I see 4K being more for those who can afford 3 high-end GPUs in their system or for work mostly over gaming.

4K is too taxing on the GPU. I expect Maxwell refersh (so the GeForce GTX 900 series) to be capable, maybe Maxwell (GTX 800 series) high end model (880?) to be fine, if you don't mind not getting the absolute max settings your games (assuming you want 60fps).

Thanks. Yes you are correct. But I see 4K being more for those who can afford 3 high-end GPUs in their system or for work mostly over gaming.

4K is too taxing on the GPU. I expect Maxwell refersh (so the GeForce GTX 900 series) to be capable, maybe Maxwell (GTX 800 series) high end model (880?) to be fine, if you don't mind not getting the absolute max settings your games (assuming you want 60fps).

Of course the enthusiast side will pay top dollar for maxing out and get at least 60FPS, but in ~5 years if 4K does become more mainstream, that will be 5 more possible generations for both Nvidia and AMD for their GPU's. Maxwell and Volcanic Island is the next line up, but that is within one year, they could have a refresh, new series again, a refresh and then a new series AGAIN in 5 years!

By then we should have enough horse power for 4K!

Another biased opinion with no proof from a guy who thought a Vp 2770 was a ips panel.. :)

did we not go over this last time?

PLS is Samsung version of IPS. They work the same way.

Samsung could have called it SyperDuper-IPS, much like the rest of the IPS manufacture (P-IPS, eIPS, E-IPS, H-IPS, AH-IPS, S-IPS, etc).

Every manufacture has its own set or unique IPS panel version. All are in the same group: IPS

PLS is Samsung version of IPS. They work the same way.

Samsung could have called it SyperDuper-IPS, much like the rest of the IPS manufacture (P-IPS, eIPS, E-IPS, H-IPS, AH-IPS, S-IPS, etc).

Every manufacture has its own set or unique IPS panel version.

Sounds good bud.. Nice cover up.. :)

Actually water you said in that last thread was that the Vp 2770 uses a LG IPS PANEL.. :)

Sounds good bud.. Nice cover up.. :)

There is no cover up, I have been saying this since day 1 when I registered on the forum, which is in the first days of the forum coming online.

There is no cover up, I have been saying this since day 1 when I registered on the forum, which is in the first days of the forum coming online.

Are you trying to flex your I've been here longer then you muscle? Haha

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

Those crossovers don't OC. Look at a Qnix or a Xstar.. They are the only monitors that can hit 120hz for $300..

Are you trying to flex your I've been here longer then you muscle? Haha

GoodBytes was right about the VP2770 being an IPS panel.  It's PLS which is a type of IPS by Samsung.  He wasn't covering up anything.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

GoodBytes was right about the VP2770 being an IPS panel. It's PLS which is a type of IPS by Samsung. He wasn't covering up anything.

But what he said was the Vp 2770 is A LG ips Panel. And i just corrected him.. I can post the link if you would like..

And LG and Samsung are two different companies last I checked..

Those crossovers don't OC. Look at a Qnix or a Xstar.. They are the only monitors that can hit 120hz for $300..

I'm fine with 60Hz though. So that's why I'm okay with a crossover :P. I'll take a look into those however, Thanks!

The Qnix does look like a steal though, being it's CHEAPER than the crossover atm 

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

But what he said was the Vp 2770 is A LG ips Panel. And i just corrected him.. I can post the link if you would like..

And LG and Samsung are two different companies last I checked..

This is what you said:

Another biased opinion with no proof from a guy who thought a Vp 2770 was a ips panel..  :)

The VP2770 has a form of IPS panel, so GoodBytes was right.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

I was referring to this thread where he stated Viewsonic uses a LG panel..

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/33195-do-you-notice-dead-pixels/page-2#entry469053

OneGun is correct, I did wrongly said that the ViewSonic used an LG panel and not an Samsung, as it was suffering the same production issues as LG. Oh noes! They are countless number of monitors out there, and I got 1 detail wrong. The horror! I must know nothing.

Go home OneGun.

Your signature is full of errors. You don't see me trying to put you down, on every post you make, just because of it.

OneGun is correct, I did wrongly said that the ViewSonic used an LG panel and not an Samsung, as it was suffering the same production issues as LG. Oh noes! They are countless number of monitors out there, and I got 1 detail wrong. The horror! I must know nothing.

Go home OneGun.

Your signature is full of errors. You don't see me trying to put you down, on every post you make, just because of it.

:)

Thought i would share this with you..Its a great new monitor testing tool..You can check frame skipping,motion blur and pretty much anything..

http://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping

It doesn't check the monitor panel itself skipping frames. You can't really have a problem telling you this.

All a program can do is if your graphic card having trouble rendering at needed Hz.

However a picture should be able to see this, but it might be blur... so we need to compare the brightness of the blur to see if the offset in color is indeed a frame skip, or not. And we need to define what we consider a frame skip. Do we consider lightly seeing the blur as a frame skip, in the sense that the panel tried to draw the received frame, but jumps on the next frame, or literary skips it, which is unlikely to do, unless the circuitry of the monitor, itself skips it.

It would have worked if we used CRTs as a picture would allows you to see a frame skip where 1 of the square might be black, after numerous attempts.

Also, isn't 1/10 sec exposure to slow for 120Hz... at 120Hz, I could be wrong here, but isn't that the panel needs to go as fast as at least 8ms (I mean actual response time, so black to white, or white to black, not gray to gray), which is what the good TN panel does somewhat ~8ms, depending on the monitor model)

It doesn't check the monitor panel itself skipping frames. You can't really have a problem telling you this.
All a program can do is if your graphic card having trouble rendering at needed Hz.

It would have worked if we used CRTs as a picture would allows you to see a frame skip where 1 of the square might be black, after numerous attempts.

Also, isn't 1/10 sec exposure to slow for 120Hz... at 120Hz, I could be wrong here, but isn't that the panel needs to go as fast as at least 8ms (I mean actual response time, so black to white, or white to black, not gray to gray), which is what the good TN panel does somewhat ~8ms, depending on the monitor model)

I just found this from another forum and was sharing it with you..I don't know if it works 100%..I just tried and found it today..I figured the guy knows what he is talking about who i got this site from..He made the site..And he is responsible for this..

http://www.overclock.net/t/1339384/zero-motion-blur-lcd-nvidia-lightboost-hack-looks-like-crt-looks-like-480hz

This is also the guy that stats there is only 10% more motion blur on a OCed ips/pls panel then on a 120hz none lightboost tn panel..Is he right i have no idea but he seems like he knows quite a bit about 120hz to me..