I7 4770k 3,5ghz voltage change?

mbplayah

I have an i7 4770k and I'm wondering what my "voltage" should be at its max for it's current ghz which is the standard 3,5.

When I played bf3, I saw that on HWmonitor the "VID" went up to 1,222, and the "IA" 1,254. (I do not know what's the difference between these to, because I don't know anything about this.

I'm wondering if this is considered high, due to the ghz which is standard 3,5.

I've never changed any settings that has to do with voltages, and if anyone could explain how to do it properly or link me some guides that would be nice. 

I want maximum performance, but also a "cold" cpu while playing games, and I currently do not want to overclock, but just change the voltages if it turns out they're "high".

Thanks

Yeah that is a bit high I'm clocking 4.4 @ 1.28, but each CPU is different.

Also Asus boards are notorious for over-volting at default settings, what motherboard do you own?

What temperatures are you hitting?

What cooling are you running?

VID is the voltage the CPU is requesting.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I have an Asus z87 motherboard and a h60 corsair cooler. Around 30 degrees celcius idle. And around 60 when playing bf3 for like 2-3 minutes (haven't played longer due to punkbuster kicked).

Thanks

You might want to take a look at this video to get a baseline of what voltage are you suppose

to be getting relative to an overclocked system.

I still have some questions about this. How does adaptive mode work, should i change the cache/ring ratio, (and what is it lol?) For an example if I set the Core voltage to 1,050, will that be the max voltage with lets say 3,5 ghz? and will it change/go lower when I'm in idle? Also what is a good way to find out how low I can go with voltages, to get the max performance but also a really cool cpu when playing games. Thanks

I still have some questions about this. How does adaptive mode work, should i change the cache/ring ratio, (and what is it lol?) For an example if I set the Core voltage to 1,050, will that be the max voltage with lets say 3,5 ghz? and will it change/go lower when I'm in idle? Also what is a good way to find out how low I can go with voltages, to get the max performance but also a really cool cpu when playing games. Thanks

Adaptive gives you all the power saving features that Haswell has, but also when the CPU requires it, itll get it, so if youre overclocking, you ll get power savings at idle, but max performance when its needed.

Ring/cache ratio should be set at exactly what your CPU ratio is, ( if your cpu ratio isnt too high) example: my cpu ratio is 42 and ive set the ring ratio at 42. If i was to set the CPU ratio to 47, id probably leave the ring ratio to 42-43 to increase stability.

Well you can OC the quick and dirty way, put a frequency you want and test with what Voltages you can run it at and be stable, im at 4.2GHz at 1.109 V ( ive a 4770k ) and im happy with it, good performance, good temps

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Adaptive gives you all the power saving features that Haswell has, but also when the CPU requires it, itll get it, so if youre overclocking, you ll get power savings at idle, but max performance when its needed.

Ring/cache ratio should be set at exactly what your CPU ratio is, ( if your cpu ratio isnt too high) example: my cpu ratio is 42 and ive set the ring ratio at 42. If i was to set the CPU ratio to 47, id probably leave the ring ratio to 42-43 to increase stability.

Well you can OC the quick and dirty way, put a frequency you want and test with what Voltages you can run it at and be stable, im at 4.2GHz at 1.109 V ( ive a 4770k ) and im happy with it, good performance, good temps

Thanks, this helped me a lot! What can I use to test if my system is "stable"? I've read that I should not use prime95 as it can ignore my already set voltages, and just increase them. Is something like aida good to use for a stability test, and to see if it's working properly? Thanks!

ALSO

For an example if I set the Core voltage to 1,050, will that be the max voltage?

Thanks, this helped me a lot! What can I use to test if my system is "stable"? I've read that I should not use prime95 as it can ignore my already set voltages, and just increase them. Is something like aida good to use for a stability test, and to see if it's working properly? Thanks!

Yes use aida64! But also when you are stress testing use manual voltage, and when you're stable put adaptive with the voltage yoy found to be stable before, but be careful cause that'd a bit weird to set in correctly

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Yes use aida64! But also when you are stress testing use manual voltage, and when you're stable put adaptive with the voltage yoy found to be stable before, but be careful cause that'd a bit weird to set in correctly

Also when stability testing, should I only test the cpu?

Also when stability testing, should I only test the cpu?

Should i pick manual or xmp?

I've changed all the settings that I wanted, but my frequency does not stay at 4ghz which I have set it at which i want when stress testing. Instead when i start the computer it's around 800 mhz. What do i need to change in bios in order for it to stay at the same speed

I've changed all the settings that I wanted, but my frequency does not stay at 4ghz which I have set it at which i want when stress testing. Instead when i start the computer it's around 800 mhz. What do i need to change in bios in order for it to stay at the same speed

Thats Intel Speedstep, you dont need to change anything about it, its only to save power when youre idling, just leave that the way it is!