Not Shutting Down / Powering off?

Hey Forum!

So basically what's happened is about a year ago, I tried overclocking for the first time. Through AI Suite II's "Auto Tuning", my CPU boosted to 4.2GHz. I wasn't really happy as the factory settings on my CPU is 3.6GHz, so I gave it a crack through my BIOS to see if I could hit 4.6GHz. It was somewhat stable within about 6 hours on Prime95, though not 100% as one would desire, and at the time I was not real bothered fiddling with it too much so I left it (TBH, it was mainly due to fear of breaking something and inexperience).

So a couple of months down the track, it got to the point where I was a little more educated on the matter and thought I would try stablising the 4.6GHz I achieved. The only two things I did at the time where:

- Reset to default settings, first through Ai Suite and then the BIOS (since Ai Suite still read 4.6GHz)

- CMOS cleared 2, maybe 3 times (can't remember exact!)

This is where the ONE problem occurred that I still to this day cannot figure out. Whenever I need to shut down my PC (which isn't often since it's left on 24/7) the screen indicates there is nothing to display, however there is still power running through the system:

- Fans + Lights

- CPU

- Graphics cards

- Cooler

- Motherboard... just about everything really!

Don't really know if its because I overclocked through Ai Suite THEN the BIOS, but it would not surprise me! So basically I've decided to ask for a hand on the matter to see if anyone has had the same experience.

If anyone can lend a hand it would be greatly appreciated! Still somewhat new to the forum and haven't really looked through it to find my answer, so if anyone does know of a thread that will help, please don't hesitate to point me in the right direction!

Also, I eventually found a 100% stable 4.6GHz as of a month ago, though never tried fixing the switching off issue.

Thanks Forum! :)

Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | AMD FX-8150 @ 4.6GHz | Corsair H100 w/ Noctua NF-F12s | Corsair Vengance CL9 1600Mhz 8GB | Nvidia GTX 660Ti Gigabte OC Edition in SLI (Base/Boost: 1032/1111, Memory Clock: 6008MHz, Memory: 3GB) | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green | Samsung SA950 @ 120Hz | Silverstone 750W 80+ Gold PSU (Fully Modular) | NZXT H440 (White) | Razer Naga 2012 + Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 | Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones | Blue Yeti USB Microphone Logitech Z523 Speakers 2.1 Stereo

It seems like the motherboard isn't sending out the signal to put the PSU in standby mode.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Hey Forum!

So basically what's happened is about a year ago, I tried overclocking for the first time. Through AI Suite II's "Auto Tuning", my CPU boosted to 4.2GHz. I wasn't really happy as the factory settings on my CPU is 3.6GHz, so I gave it a crack through my BIOS to see if I could hit 4.6GHz. It was somewhat stable within about 6 hours on Prime95, though not 100% as one would desire, and at the time I was not real bothered fiddling with it too much so I left it (TBH, it was mainly due to fear of breaking something and inexperience).

So a couple of months down the track, it got to the point where I was a little more educated on the matter and thought I would try stablising the 4.6GHz I achieved. The only two things I did at the time where:

- Reset to default settings, first through Ai Suite and then the BIOS (since Ai Suite still read 4.6GHz)

- CMOS cleared 2, maybe 3 times (can't remember exact!)

This is where the ONE problem occurred that I still to this day cannot figure out. Whenever I need to shut down my PC (which isn't often since it's left on 24/7) the screen indicates there is nothing to display, however there is still power running through the system:

- Fans + Lights

- CPU

- Graphics cards

- Cooler

- Motherboard... just about everything really!

Don't really know if its because I overclocked through Ai Suite THEN the BIOS, but it would not surprise me! So basically I've decided to ask for a hand on the matter to see if anyone has had the same experience.

If anyone can lend a hand it would be greatly appreciated! Still somewhat new to the forum and haven't really looked through it to find my answer, so if anyone does know of a thread that will help, please don't hesitate to point me in the right direction!

Also, I eventually found a 100% stable 4.6GHz as of a month ago, though never tried fixing the switching off issue.

Thanks Forum! :)

I kinda have the same problem as you. This is what I do. This only happens sometimes to me...

I click shutdown and it goes to the shutdown screen. Then I wait till my HDD turns off (Hearing a click sound) And checking if my mouse and keyboards turned off. Then I just hold the power button till it turns off. IDK if this is safe but yeah.. It just works. (:

You must "Quote" to get my attention​.

~IBIubbleTea - 20/07/2014 

If Windows is no longer running, it's safe. When you shut down normally, components get their power cut off the same way as when you hold the power button down. The issue is software based - if you do that while Windows is running, programs can lose data and Windows/other programs can become corrupt.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

If Windows is no longer running, it's safe. When you shut down normally, components get their power cut off the same way as when you hold the power button down. The issue is software based - if you do that while Windows is running, programs can lose data and Windows/other programs can become corrupt.

Yeah but sometimes like the computer will never turn off and my HDD light is off so yeah.. When I come to use it again. It doesnt tell me that I have a problem.

You must "Quote" to get my attention​.

~IBIubbleTea - 20/07/2014 

Like I said, it could be the motherboard is failing to tell the power supply to turn off. Or it could be the power supply is failing to receive the signal. Could also be a software issue is causing the system to hang.

Like I said, it could be the motherboard is failing to tell the power supply to turn off. Or it could be the power supply is failing to receive the signal. Could also be a software issue is causing the system to hang.

That"s probably what the problem is.

Shut down as best as you can, then remove any static electricity from your body, either by wearing a anti-static strap or by touching the PSU while plugged in, then take out the PSU plug from the PSU, then remove the UEFI/BIOS battery and leave it out for about a half day if you can or at least two hours, then put the UEFI/BIOS battery back in and plug in your PSU and fire it up. Let it boot completely and then try and shut down like you would through windows. Let me know if it works.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

• 2 weeks later...

Shut down as best as you can, then remove any static electricity from your body, either by wearing a anti-static strap or by touching the PSU while plugged in, then take out the PSU plug from the PSU, then remove the UEFI/BIOS battery and leave it out for about a half day if you can or at least two hours, then put the UEFI/BIOS battery back in and plug in your PSU and fire it up. Let it boot completely and then try and shut down like you would through windows. Let me know if it works.

Just tried that and unfortunately did not work :( thanks anyway!

(sorry for the delayed response, haven't had time)

Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | AMD FX-8150 @ 4.6GHz | Corsair H100 w/ Noctua NF-F12s | Corsair Vengance CL9 1600Mhz 8GB | Nvidia GTX 660Ti Gigabte OC Edition in SLI (Base/Boost: 1032/1111, Memory Clock: 6008MHz, Memory: 3GB) | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green | Samsung SA950 @ 120Hz | Silverstone 750W 80+ Gold PSU (Fully Modular) | NZXT H440 (White) | Razer Naga 2012 + Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 | Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones | Blue Yeti USB Microphone Logitech Z523 Speakers 2.1 Stereo

This happens to me, but when i leave my screen on, my computer does not shutdown. But when i click shutdown and turn my screen off, it shuts down fine. Its weird lol..

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

This happens to me, but when i leave my screen on, my computer does not shutdown. But when i click shutdown and turn my screen off, it shuts down fine. Its weird lol..

Just tried that then, and it seems the computer powered off, though everything I have connected via USB still seems to be showing signs it is still powered on. I(ncludes external, keyboard, mouse and headset).

Just tried that then, and it seems the computer powered off, though everything I have connected via USB still seems to be showing signs it is still powered on. I(ncludes external, keyboard, mouse and headset).

Ofcourse you will see signs of headset, keyboard etc.. being powered its fine! Power still flows through the system when the system is off. My headset light is on when my computer is off. Its fine, its normal!

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

Ofcourse you will see signs of headset, keyboard etc.. being powered its fine! Power still flows through the system my headset light is on, even when i was on win 7 dont need to worry this is normal.

Well yes of course it would! Though I didn't have this before the existing problem :)

Well yes of course it would! Though I didn't have this before the existing problem :)

It could be caused by 'bad registery', and third party softwares. Bad PSU, Bad Motherboard. It can be caused by a lot.(just did some research ;p) As long is you can turn your computer off, its algood.

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

It could be caused by 'bad registery', and third party softwares. Bad PSU, Bad Motherboard. It can be caused by a lot.(just did some research ;p) As long is you can turn your computer off, its algood.

Hmm, that is something to consider!

It's not a massive issue since I prefer to have it on 24/7, but spending $ in the 4 digits I'd like it to run 100%... though I think most of that comes from my OCD tendancies :/

Hmm, that is something to consider!

It's not a massive issue since I prefer to have it on 24/7, but spending $ in the 4 digits I'd like it to run 100%... though I think most of that comes from my OCD tendancies :/

For this not turning off problem, people got it fixed from using a different version of nvidia drivers. I guess mines not turning off properly because im using beta drivers for my AMD card. And some fixed it by clearing CMOS, which i might try.

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

Just tried that and unfortunately did not work :( thanks anyway!

(sorry for the delayed response, haven't had time)

:( Bummer!

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.