My mom scolded me for electric bill spike due to R9 290

Eyesthetics

Why does the label say 750W? :o

Just in case you are running a 30$ psu from some unknown Chinese vendor

Z77A-G43 LGA 1155, Intel I5 3450s, Radeon R9 290 (non-X), Cooler Master V750 Gold (750W) PSU, 2x4GB Ripjaws X 1866 MHz, 1x4 Crucial 1866 MHz, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, Thor V2 Full-tower Case, Acer 1920x1080 Monitor

I use a 295x2 and it didn't raise my power bill that high. lol

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

Why does the label say 750W? :o

In case you also happen to have an overclocked i7-5960X or fx-9590, with a ton of drives, and fans etc. It's a worse case scenario.

Op is a troll. He spouted off every fanboy checklist item and doesn't respond when called out on the math.

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

No GPU could do that, I mean you must be bit coin mining but that's you or your families fault not the GPU lol

MINIMAL increase at best but $40...

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

Just a month ago, i sold off my aging GTX 660 Ti and got myself a second hand reference PowerColor R9 290 for $215, it had killed 4 power supplies (yep you read that right) before it worked without a problem

-corsair cx600m

-new cx600m from rma

-seasonic x650

-new seasonic x650 from rma

-another new seasonic x650

And then just yesterday my mom asked me why is my room so hot and loud (R9 290 fan) she also wondered why this month's electric bill went up 40 bucks. She immediately blamed the R9 290 and scolded me for buying it... Lol

Sold my R9 290 and getting a gtx 970 next week, done with amd. Now i know why people don't buy amd for high end build

I didn't know a graphics card can cause this much issue

This was a great read op but not even my SLI setup costs that much a month and I game way more hours than you. I game anywhere from 4 hours a day during work nights so that is 16 hours and then game anywhere from 4-16 hours on non work nights and I have 3 days off.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

TL;DR thread, apologize if already addressed. Could the power consumption difference be seasonally caused? Or the OP was running folding or something 24/7? Eitherway, most of the power increase does seem coincidental.

Inregards to going from a 290 to 970

Techspot so grain of salt... Came across this and they were experiencing a difference of around 35 watts total system power between a 290 and 970 when running a couple of different games, so not full bore I honestly didn't go into the article that much. The difference, while measurable doesn't seem to be that significant, or atleast not enough so to justify a sidegrade.

http://www.techspot.com/review/885-nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-gtx-980/page7.html

Having a 290 won't increase the poewr bill by 40 bucks.

Not everyone lives in america. Power is pretty expensive in some regions.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

ITT,

Mom want her son to stop playing computer games, exaggerated power bill increased. 

/s

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Op is a troll. He spouted off every fanboy checklist item and doesn't respond when called out on the math.

I don't like randomly accusing people of being trolls, but that might be the case. No response after a conclusive proof that it's impossible, so yeah. Make of that what you will.

ITT,

Mom want her son to stop playing computer games, exaggerated power bill increased. 

/s

Also a possibility, but it can be easily refuted by math. So there's no real point in it. Also, when have parents started to try and trick their kids into doing what they want? I'm pretty sure that kids (and even teenagers) can be talked to. You can still hold a conversation with them, it's not like they're too dumb or that they won't listen to reason in 90% of the cases. But that's just my 2c on that kind of parenting.

Not everyone lives in america. Power is pretty expensive in some regions.

As I've said before, state the kWh price of your region (or the region you're talking about) and do the math. It'll be done in less than a minute and it's the easiest and quickest way to get your point across. It's certainly better than some vague "in some regions"-talk without any numbers. I still doubt that the <80W difference in power consumption on a (high-end) luxury item makes a genuine difference for the people who would actually be able to afford this kind of thing in those regions. You also have to take into account what kind of person would be able to afford these kinds of things and how much money that is relative to their income, otherwise it doesn't make any sense (arguing that a sweat-shop worker in an asian country couldn't afford the power to run an R9 290 might be true, but they also could never afford any kind of high-end PC gear anyway and have other priorities tbh., etc).

If this kid lives in a place where electricity is super expensive, then computer gaming in general is going to run up the bill, almost regardless of the GPU you use. Computers are pretty power hungry in general. I just don't believe the 290 had much, if anything to do with some big increase. If he went from one 750ti to 2 290s in crossfire then maybe it would be noticeable, but I doubt the difference between one 290 and one 660ti would be really noticeable in one month. A 20 dollar difference is something you might see over an entire year, but not in one month.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB