My Impressions - AMD to Intel

So after buying an i5-4690K for a good price, I got a Z97 board a couple of days later, and installed all of it today. I was using an FX-6300 with a mild overclock.

Holy ****, that made a difference.

I ran the PassMark Performance benchmarking software and got a much higher score of 3737 compared to the 2629 with my AMD.

Then I ran Dying Light. I obviously don't understand PCs enough as I thought your maximum fps would be dictated by your GPU usage. I was seeing 98% usage on my GPU when paired with my AMD and likewise with my Intel, but I was seeing a 10-15 fps increase consistently, and it barely dipped below 60.

I never fully understood why people stood so firmly with Intel over AMD. I now see why, as I'm officially converted.

I still love my AMD chip and it has already been repurposed, but I don't think I could ever go back.

As a side note, what's the performance of the G3258 like? I'd love to see that pitched against an FX-6300.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

Yep, Like everyone on this forum keeps saying. Intel > AMD for gaming... I dont like synthetic benchmark results myself but in game performance is just so much smoother with less dips.

(I moved form an FX-8350 @ 5ghz > I7-4790K @ 4.8Ghz) and Im not gaining much FPS but i defiantly get less dips and juddering.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

We recommend Intel over AMD because number one, AMD's enthusiast platform is dead as it sits. Then for the second main reason, you get better GPU usage and higher minimum frame rates.

So what you experienced is why we do that.

The G3258 would outperform the 6300 given that they're both put in a motherboard that can overclock the CPU for it to be fair. This is for gaming applications though, so outside of that I'm not 100% sure.

The g3258 is great, overclocked to 4ghz with an oc genie and I am running smooth, I plan on purchasing a gpu in a few weeks, then I can play more demanding games. But it handles gaming suprisingly well for being a $70 chip.

Edit: It's only drawback is lack of hyperthreading and/or more processing cores, other than that, it is great. It holds up very well in benchmarks even against much higher end cpu's.

Nice! 

Now, just oc that puppy and you will be awesome!

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

The G3258 would outperform the 6300 given that they're both put in a motherboard that can overclock the CPU for it to be fair. This is for gaming applications though, so outside of that I'm not 100% sure.

Correct, the g3258 will be faster in gaming because of superior single threaded performance, but in some cases, the FX 6300 can use its multithreaded performance to beat the shit out of it

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Correct, the g3258 will be faster in gaming because of superior single threaded performance, but in some cases, the FX 6300 can use its multithreaded performance to beat the shit out of it

I kind of just want to buy one and try it out, it's only around £55. 

How many games would see the benefit of the many threads of the AMD over the faster, far fewer threads of the G3258?

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

I had a similar experience running a gtx 660 on an A-10 5700 AMD APU, then switching to an I5-4690k.

Was like going from moped to a Ferrari.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

As a side note, what's the performance of the G3258 like? I'd love to see that pitched against an FX-6300.

Not really.

"Gaming" is too unspecific. In AAA titles the FX-6300 will be better then a G3258, even if at lower clock speeds. There have been lots of people including myself who have had issues with stuttering and frame rate dips with the G3258 in AAA titles. Overclocked G3258 was actually a downgrade from my stock Phenom II X6. In those kinds of demanding games a FX6 should be compared with an i3 (in which i3 usually wins), not G3258.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/353771-amd-phenom-ii-x6-1075t-vs-overclocked-intel-pentium-g3258/

However in heavily single-threaded games like MMOs and MOBAs the G3258 is definitely ahead.

"Rawr XD"

Not really.

"Gaming" is too unspecific. In AAA titles the FX-6300 will be better then a G3258, even if at lower clock speeds. There have been lots of people including myself who have had issues with stuttering and frame rate dips with the G3258 in AAA titles. Overclocked G3258 was actually a downgrade from my stock Phenom II X6. In those kinds of demanding games a FX6 should be compared with an i3 (in which i3 usually wins), not G3258.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/353771-amd-phenom-ii-x6-1075t-vs-overclocked-intel-pentium-g3258/

However in heavily single-threaded games like MMOs and MOBAs the G3258 is definitely ahead.

It's also not on a dead platform and has an upgrade path, so if you experience issues like that you can always upgrade it later on.

Not really.

That's kind of a shame. A cracking chip would be an unlocked i3, then there really would be no excuse to go AMD over Intel.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

It's also not on a dead platform and has an upgrade path, so if you experience issues like that you can always upgrade it later on.

I was talking about performance-wise. However for a new build it shouldn't really take that long to save up for an i3.

That's kind of a shame. A cracking chip would be an unlocked i3, then there really would be no excuse to go AMD over Intel.

There will never be an unlocked i3 for that reason. It would be so great for gaming-only (without streaming, multitasking, or content creation) that barely anybody would buy the unlocked i5's.

"Rawr XD"

Except for the fact that ya know it has proven better multi threaded performance. And what do modern games use? oh thats right lots of cores. They both have their benefits and yes amds enthusiast grade stuff cpu wise is lacking. But to make baseless claims about a dual core intel being able to stand up to a 6 core amd. come on. for work loads with 1 or 2 threads sure. modern games? Not a farking chance in heck. No matter how much you "overclock it" i can oc my 8350 to 5ghz and leave it and many other similar grade intels in the dust.

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit

I'm getting a G3258 tomorrow and I'm coming from an Athlon X4 760K so I can't wait to see how that will turn out!

Except for the fact that ya know it has proven better multi threaded performance. And what do modern games use? oh thats right lots of cores. They both have their benefits and yes amds enthusiast grade stuff cpu wise is lacking. But to make baseless claims about a dual core intel being able to stand up to a 6 core amd. come on. for work loads with 1 or 2 threads sure. modern games? Not a farking chance in heck. No matter how much you "overclock it" i can oc my 8350 to 5ghz and leave it and many other similar grade intels in the dust.

I have JUST moved from AMD to Intel.

I think my fanboyism is justified.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

I was talking about performance-wise. However for a new build it shouldn't really take that long to save up for an i3.

There will never be an unlocked i3 for that reason. It would be so great for gaming-only (without streaming, multitasking, or content creation) that barely anybody would buy the unlocked i5's.

Dual core with hyperthreading i3, tri core with hyperthreading i5, quad core with hyperthreading  i7.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'm getting a G3258 tomorrow and I'm coming from an Athlon X4 760K so I can't wait to see how that will turn out!

760K > G3258 for AAA gaming, vice versa for single-threaded gaming like MMOs

"Rawr XD"

A whole lot of people say that, and it reminds me of this LTT video.

Whilst they don't represent actual CPUs and are more of an 'approximation', the testing did show that a dual core with hyperthreading was pretty much (in a lot of cases) between the quad core with no HT and the dual core with no HT.

I could be wrong, and an unlocked i3 could make the i5 nervous, but I think it would be a good chip with an excellent placement in the market.

If someone has read an article that shows some evidence of me being completely wrong, please link. I'd love to read it. :)

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

Whilst they don't represent actual CPUs and are more of an 'approximation', the testing did show that a dual core with hyperthreading was pretty much (in a lot of cases) between the quad core with no HT and the dual core with no HT.

I could be wrong, and an unlocked i3 could make the i5 nervous, but I think it would be a good chip with an excellent placement in the market.

If someone has read an article that shows some evidence of me being completely wrong, please link. I'd love to read it. :)

Well there's really no article on a proposed unlocked i3 cause honestly it will most likely never happen. Two cores with HT is already a great balance between G3258 and i5 at stock speeds. If overclocked it makes it a very compelling option for people who play both AAA titles and more single-threaded games like MMOs. As it stands they're basically making it so that people who want to have good performance in AAA titles and demanding single-threaded titles have to buy a 4690K and overclock it, they'd lose money from these people if they made an unlocked i3.

"Rawr XD"

Well there's really no article on a proposed unlocked i3 cause honestly it will most likely never happen. Two cores with HT is already a great balance between G3258 and i5 at stock speeds. If overclocked it makes it a very compelling option for people who play both AAA titles and more single-threaded games like MMOs. As it stands they're basically making it so that people who want to have good performance in AAA titles and demanding single-threaded titles have to buy a 4690K and overclock it, they'd lose money from these people if they made an unlocked i3.

That's such a shame. An army of newbie builders with an unlocked i3 would be a marvel to see.

They do have awesome single threaded performance, but the £140 price difference between the G3258 and the 4690K with no unlocked processor in between is kind of a piss take. In my opinion, it's pushing people away from Intel in that price range. Below £60 and above £190, there's really no point going for AMD. But they do have a good range of processors in that price bracket.

Also, I haven't overclocked my 4690K (yet). As I'm only runnning a GTX 960, I don't think I would benefit from the overclock. I'd rather just stick with a lower heat output. At least I've got the option of overclocking when I get myself something like a GTX 970/980 in the future.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

So after buying an i5-4690K for a good price, I got a Z97 board a couple of days later, and installed all of it today. I was using an FX-6300 with a mild overclock.

Holy ****, that made a difference.

I ran the PassMark Performance benchmarking software and got a much higher score of 3737 compared to the 2629 with my AMD.

Then I ran Dying Light. I obviously don't understand PCs enough as I thought your maximum fps would be dictated by your GPU usage. I was seeing 98% usage on my GPU when paired with my AMD and likewise with my Intel, but I was seeing a 10-15 fps increase consistently, and it barely dipped below 60.

I never fully understood why people stood so firmly with Intel over AMD. I now see why, as I'm officially converted.

I still love my AMD chip and it has already been repurposed, but I don't think I could ever go back.

Dying Light is a pretty lousy port, but such an amazing game. It just chokes on any kind of AMD hardware. Tom's Hardware's benchmark shows the R9 290x performing roughly equal to the GTX 960 in it.

As for the G3258, I'd be surprised if it outperformed the FX-6300 in many new games. I have a G3258 and it's not very good for AAA gaming. Night and day difference in every new game after switching to a Xeon E3-1231v3.

It's not baseless claims when you've owned both (like I have) and tested them head to head and watched the Pentium G3258 destroy an FX63(50) in all applications that use 2 cores. But sure, if you want to ignore the other posts where people said the FX wins in multi-threaded applications and get pissy, go ahead.

The problem is, you're wrong. Your 8350 gets destroyed by Intel's similarly priced offerings (an i3 beats it at stock in most games, and an i5 annihilates it even when it is overclocked to 5GHz). And it (the i5) doesn't require aftermarket cooling, a beefy 6+x power phase motherboard that costs $100+ (90£+), and doesn't suffer the awful minimum frame dips that happen due to the FX line's terrible IPC.

You are wrong. You are posing false information, and your misleading people should really just stop. The FX processors should not be considered for gaming at any level unless the price difference of going with Intel in a person's area is extremely skewed.

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

It's not baseless claims when you've owned both (like I have) and tested them head to head and watched the Pentium G3258 destroy an FX63(50) in all applications that use 2 cores. But sure, if you want to ignore the other posts where people said the FX wins in multi-threaded applications and get pissy, go ahead.

The problem is, you're wrong. Your 8350 gets destroyed by Intel's similarly priced offerings (an i3 beats it at stock in most games, and an i5 annihilates it even when it is overclocked to 5GHz). And it (the i5) doesn't require aftermarket cooling, a beefy 6+x power phase motherboard that costs $100+ (90£+), and doesn't suffer the awful minimum frame dips that happen due to the FX line's terrible IPC.

You are wrong. You are posing false information, and your misleading people should really just stop. The FX processors should not be considered for gaming at any level unless the price difference of going with Intel in a person's area is extremely skewed.

My i5 4440 annihilating FX suicide overclocked CPU:

post-155575-0-96529700-1432418374_thumb.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

My i5 4440 annihilating FX suicide overclocked CPU:

Untitled.png

Beautiful :')

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Modern games use lots of cores? Fanboyism? Please. Games are hardly even utilizing cores properly outside of Core 0 from what I've seen, hence DX12 and Mantle/Vulkan getting so much attention, and calling someone a fanboy because they go off of evidence that Intel > AMD for games shows how much of a fanboy you are.

G3258 loses to a 6300 sometimes even when overclocked, sure. The other thing I forgot to mention in that first post I made was that along with AMD's enthusiast platform being dead as it sits, Intel's platform has a worthy upgrade path unlike 990FX. That's not fanboyism, that's just fact. It's not a baseless claim to say a G3258 would be the better choice because if you run into performance issues, you can grab an i5 and not have to get a new motherboard and you're all set.

Jesus Christ. Stop calling people fanboys because they disagree with you and your preference.