Take-Two is suing the BBC over Rockstar drama/documentary

BBC should've seen this coming.

Rockstar’s parent company, Take-Two, is taking legal action against The BBC, in response to a dramatized documentary that the network has been developing, following the upstart of Rockstar Games and the creation of Grand Theft Auto, supposedly in an attempt to encourage young people to get in to programming.

It turns out, that The BBC didn’t get authorization from Take-Two to use Rockstar’s intellectual property. The project was announced back in March, however, Rockstar had not commented until now. In a statement sent to IGN, the studio said: “Take-Two Interactive has filed suit against the BBC for trademark infringement based on their movie currently titled ‘Game Changer’ as it relates to Rockstar Games’ Grand Theft Auto video game series.”

679149a2d5a96ed7c6c102459233b6cc-e143221

“While holders of the trademarks referenced in the film title and its promotion, Rockstar Games has had no involvement with this project. Our goal is to ensure that our trademarks are not misused in the BBC’s pursuit of an unofficial depiction of purported events related to Rockstar Games.”

Apparently Rockstar had attempted to resolve issues with The BBC but to no avail: “We have attempted multiple times to resolve this matter with the BBC without any meaningful resolution. It is our obligation to protect our intellectual property and unfortunately in this case litigation was necessary.”

The BBC has not yet commented on the lawsuit.

KitGuru Says: Well this is an unexpected turn of events. It will be interesting to see exactly what went wrong here and why it ended up escalating to a lawsuit. 

Source: http://www.kitguru.net/channel/generaltech/matthew-wilson/take-two-is-suing-the-bbc-over-rockstar-dramadocumentary/

Original Source: ign.com/articles/2015/05/21/rockstar-games-files-lawsuit-against-the-bbc

Edited by sinbad269

The elite have polluted this world.
The masses have fed on it.
The individual must take it back.

BBC... Are those the assholes that canned Clarkson?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Thye really aren't that bad and Clarkson has come and said today that it was his fault.

Source:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3090698/There-dreadful-people-BBC-s-silly-fault-fired-Clarkson-blames-losing-Gear-job-punched-producer-row-food.html

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

Nothing wrong with the BBC, heck Clarkson was on the radio this morning, he has not been fired from the BBC and can work on other BBC shows, he was only fired from Top Gear

Clarkson admitted it was his error, and said he would happily work for the BBC in the future and would not say a bad word about it (in is own words in an interview today)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Exactly the same, although their hand was forced in that regard - they knew they were ripping the soul out of the show, but they had no real choice - would've been a firing offence if it were anyone else.

I'm curious as well, seems like a bit of sloppy work on BBC's end though. I understand that Rockstar has to defend their trademark.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

Nothing wrong with the BBC, heck Clarkson was on the radio this morning, he has not been fired from the BBC and can work on other BBC shows, he was only fired from Top Gear

That particular station might've had a loop-hole or something that allowed him on, in whatever capacity he was in.

All this is great btw, but it's all off-topic!

That particular station might've had a loop-hole or something that allowed him on, in whatever capacity he was in.

All this is great btw, but it's all off-topic!

The radio station was also BBC.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3090698/There-dreadful-people-BBC-s-silly-fault-fired-Clarkson-blames-losing-Gear-job-punched-producer-row-food.html

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

I'm curious as well, seems like a bit of sloppy work on BBC's end though. I understand that Rockstar has to defend their trademark.

Not just them "having to", but Take-Two [and R* by extension] has been known to vehemently pursue copyright/trademark [seriously, what is the difference between the two?] infringement

He was a guest, doesn't mean he's still working for them [if you read carefully, it mentioned that he was asked about what he's doing next]

Not just them "having to", but Take-Two [and R* by extension] has been known to vehemently pursue copyright/trademark [seriously, what is the difference between the two?] infringement

copyright restricts others from copying or making copies of your work (i.e. a song, book, film, painting, software) for commercial or public use, without permission from the copyright holder.

Trademark is a word or a symbol that a company uses to distinguish or represent itself (i.e. Youtube red play button).

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

copyright restricts others from copying your work (i.e. a song, book, painting, software) for commercial or public use, without permission from the copyright holder.

Trademark is a word or a symbol that a company uses to distinguish or represent itself (i.e. Youtube red play button).

Thanks for the clarification. But I was actually quoting Trevor from an Online mission in GTA 5

Well, that sucks. I was looking forward to watching that documentary.

Hahahahahaha... Hahahahahaha!

I love it!

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Well, that sucks. I was looking forward to watching that documentary.

Doesn't mean it's not going ahead, just means they've to sort through this first. Which is silly, considering Take-Two tried opening a dialogue with the BBC.

BBC sacked Clarkson then got sued by R*. What a fate! They truly fucked up when they cut out the show from being televised; they totally deserve any undesirable action taken against them.

You go into work and spend 30 mins yelling abuse at your boss and then thump him; I'll wager you won't be employed for much longer either.

You go into work and spend 30 mins yelling abuse at your boss and then thump him; I'll wager you won't be employed for much longer either.

Exactly.