Do you NEED gaming peripherals

I'm sure it could help, or have useful macros, but is it just a convenience, or should I go out and spend over $50 on mice and keyboards just to have a good PC gaming experience?

Need? No. Having them does make the experience better, though.

I'm sure it could help, or have useful macros, but is it just a convenience, or should I go out and spend over $50 on mice and keyboards just to have a good PC gaming experience?

IMO a gaming mouse is more important .. 100% essential? no, but they ARE better for gaming

if you type a lot a nice comfy keyboard is essential , as far as features etc, then its down to the user to determine

I like having nice peripherals - the main way you interact with your PC is your keyboard and mouse, why have a nice PC and interact with it, with terrible stuff

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

If you can get them for $50, I'd say it's worth it. I paid over $150 for my mouse and keyboard

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

I recently bought a new KB & Mouse after contemplating for a long time. I chose Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Red & Corsair M65 RGB, and I haven't looked back, stunning build quality on both and they're just amazing to use. I would personally say the experience is much nicer and, they are an awful lot nicer to look at than the cheap shit I used prior :P

I too paid £150 for my set :)

"If in doubt, flat out."

I don't need my mechanical keyboard but it makes gaming + typing 5000x more enjoyable and satisfying.

I agree with @ShadowCaptain that if you game (especially FPS) the gaming mouse would be more important.

I have the Logitech G502 mouse and the G15 keyboard. 

The Mouse I love, just so much smoother than a normal mouse and love the on the fly DPI change, can adjust it with a button without messing around with the game settings all the time.

Extra buttons are also very useful.

The keyboard... I tend to use the macro keys in Photoshop than in anything else.

I did use to use them to record annoying voice commands in L4D to annoy my friends :P

LCD display is a nice addition which I use mainly to monitor my system usage.

The back light keys are always a winner for me as well.

Apart from that, the keyboard is defo more a luxury item.

|CPU| i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz |Motherboard| Asus Z87 MAXIMUS VI HERO |RAM| Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866MHz |GPU| EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB

|HD| 256GB SSD 850 PRO |Sound| Creative Sound Blaster Z High Performance |Case| NZXT Phantom 410 |OS| Windows 10 x64

Over $/€50 for mouse? No. Mine is at that €50 mark. My previous was €15 more expensive and I miss that mouse. For kb just gaming features aren't enough. I mean you can get TKL mech under $100 and most of them are already with gaming branding. So reasons getting expensive kb are somewhere else than it being gaming branded and having gaming related features.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

No, it is absolutely not necessary at all. It is however beneficial to have things like mouse macro buttons or additional macro buttons on a keyboard.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Perhipherals are your primary interaction with the PC, so imho they're the most important bits. For me, the perhipherals costed 1.6 times more than my computer itself.

Yeah for me Screen, speakers and peripherals are worth investing in, they are the way you interact with your computer, be it typing documents, or playing games, also a nice desk and chair are important too!!

Also the peripherals will last longer than the PC too, a nice keyboard, mouse, speakers, headphones and chair should last a couple of computer generations

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

There is no need to spend over $50 to get something decent, as for the Topic question, that depends on the indivdual, i for example cant play with any kind of office mice because they cant handle low sensitivities, but on the other hand i couldnt care less about the KB i use.