PCIe x16 and x8 and SLI, VGA's and PSU's

Hey everybody, what I know is that PCIe x16 is the fastest way of connectivity, but I was in a hassle of buying one EVGA GTX780 SC ACX or two EVGA GTX 760 SC ACX in SLI, and after some benchmarks online I found out the 2 760's would give a Titan a run for it's money, and they totally beat the single 780, so after days of research I decided to go with 2 760's and I want to get a Z87 Sabertooth Motherboard, but while going through the specs, I found out that two PCIe will run at x8 each not x16, so right now i am in a new hassle! does this slow down the cards? or how does it work? can someone please explain this in detail??  

and Which do you think is better generally?

1 EVGA GTX780 SC ACX

2 EVGA GTX 760 SC ACX in SLI

1 ASUS GTX 780 DirectCU II

2 ASUS GTX 760 DirectCU II in SLI

-

ASUS Z87 Sabertooth with i7-4770K

ASUS Maximus VI Hero with i7-4770K

and Will a Corsair GS800 Run 2 GTX 760's?

Thanks everybody in Advance.

A 650 watt PSU would run two 760s. As for everything else, DirectCU II 760's in SLI would outperform one 780, but only when the games are built to utilize SLI properly. If you're playing a game that bugs in SLI, you're stuck with a single GPU. In that case, a single powerful GPU is the best thing. And it's a draw between the two boards.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

A 650 watt PSU would run two 760s. As for everything else, DirectCU II 760's in SLI would outperform one 780, but only when the games are built to utilize SLI properly. If you're playing a game that bugs in SLI, you're stuck with a single GPU. In that case, a single powerful GPU is the best thing.

This^

Also, a 3.0 x8 is fine for running a titan. a 760 will do fine in that lane.

I'd say a single 780 is better since you have none of the problems sli may have.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Your power supply is definitely beefy enough to handle 2 way 760s.

The asus direct CUII cards are definitely superior  at cooling( full load will usually stay at around 60C-65C)

If you have good air flow through your case I would suggest the 2 way 760s as they are extremely good. Unless you plan to be gaming in higher res than 1080p, where the 760s start to slow down. That's when i would suggest the 780.

As for the PCi E slots, i am not so sure how that works, but i hoped i helped you with everything else

hmm

I would go with a single ASUS GTX 780 DirectCU II because it is a great card and offers great cooling. I would choose the ASUS Z87-PRO + 4770K because I heard that this board has bios issues and you are spending most of the money on the TUF features unless you are going for a clean build. Why a 4770K? If you are gaming you do not need a 4770K, a 4670K would be adequate. Running 8x will not affect the card's performance and your power supply will be able to handle 2 GTX 760.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

A 650 watt PSU would run two 760s. As for everything else, DirectCU II 760's in SLI would outperform one 780, but only when the games are built to utilize SLI properly. If you're playing a game that bugs in SLI, you're stuck with a single GPU. In that case, a single powerful GPU is the best thing. And it's a draw between the two boards.

you might be able to run 2 gtx 760's with 650w, but will it have enough pci connectors? most of them only have 2 6+2 pins. you need 4 6+2 really.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016