Force Win7 to output sound to 2 devices?

I have a set of USB speakers (Bose Companion 5) at the PC and recently added a set of regular 2.0 speakers (Companion 2) in the kitchen, connected to the PC via a 30ft audio cable using the green 3.5mm jack at the rear.

apparently the PC doesn't want to output the same sound to both simultaneously. Playing videos on one and music on the other is no problem, but the same sound to both is a whole other ballgame.

After some looking around and messing in the control panel, I got it to output to the kitchen speakers and meanwhile use those as listening device, which then gets played back on the main (USB) speakers.

That way I have my music playing on both, but the sound quality is severely affected as my Companion 5 speakers now run in 2.0 mode rather than 2.1 with virtual surround.

Does anyone know of a tool that allows me to use both at the same time?

I did consider a hardware-based approach. I would then be using a USB HUB, having a USB -> 3.5mm adapter to transmit sound to the kitchen speakers while using one of the hub's other ports to connect to the Companion 5. however I'm not sure if that's safe. I wouldn't want to blow up 500 EUR worth of speakers and/or my motherboard. Bose may have excellent warranty, I don't think it covers complete idiocy.