Convince me that Mechanical Keyboards are better

SirGrant

I got my first mechanical keyboard yesterday (Logitech G710+). I am having severe buyers remorse for the following reasons:

1. It was supposed to be "whisper quiet". WOW, people must be deaf! This has Cherry MX Browns with an added dampening ring. Very very loud. I've never had a membrane keyboard this loud.

2. Even typing these short comments, my fingers are feeling fatigued. Never felt this way with membrane keyboards. 

3. On sale for $99 finally pushed me over the edge to purchase a mechanical keyboard (with additional macro keys).

So my questions to you all is am I the only one who feels this way? Should I keep using it until I "get used to it"? OR should I go back to my $15 microsoft generic membrane keyboards which I've been using for forever and save my cash?

Thanks for your responses.

Maybe MX Brown isn't for you  - consider the MX red if you feel your keyboard is too stiff?

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

It seems like you might be pressing too hard and bottoming out the keys.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Mechanically better yes! Better for your personal taste possibly no...

Change your keyswitches. My keyboard has Blacks, you would probably would find them imposible to press comfortably. 

You should look for MX red switches.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

no, if its not for you its not for you. just get whatever your heart tells you is right for you

1. It was supposed to be "whisper quiet". WOW, people must be deaf! This has Cherry MX Browns with an added dampening ring. Very very loud. I've never had a membrane keyboard this loud.

Browns are quiet when compared to Blues. They are still not the quietest (at least that's what I've heard). If you want quiet, go for a non-tactile switch, like reds or blacks. OR, the sound can be coming from you bottoming out

2. Even typing these short comments, my fingers are feeling fatigued. Never felt this way with membrane keyboards.

MX Browns have a relatively low actuation force. Maybe don't press down too hard (this also goes with maybe why they're too loud)? Or you might just have to get used to the harder press when coming off a membrane board.

3. On sale for $99 finally pushed me over the edge to purchase a mechanical keyboard (with additional macro keys).

I do not see how this is a reason for buyer's remorse. $99 is a good price for a backlit mechanical board with macro

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

I got my first mechanical keyboard yesterday (Logitech G710+). I am having severe buyers remorse for the following reasons:

So my questions to you all is am I the only one who feels this way? Should I keep using it until I "get used to it"? OR should I go back to my $15 microsoft generic membrane keyboards which I've been using for forever and save my cash?

Thanks for your responses.

1).  Who told you they were whisper quiet? Anyone with  mech keyboard could of told you otherwise. O-rings  cant get rid of noise they simply dampen extra noise.

2) You'd prob like red's then. But they make noise also.

Its really a preference thing. I switched form a g510 to g710+ and loved it. Some people just like membrane keyboards more.I think your one of those people . If you don't feel impressed return it. There's nothing saying youd like to keep it. 

Hi guys could u help me a bit here ? Im wondering linus built a pc a few times now does he have unlimited supply of OS that he can use asap? Cause i research that u cant copy one product key to another computer so how do he manage to give a copy of windows to the 20+ pc he built in his channel ?

1).  Who told you they were whisper quiet? Anyone with  mech keyboard could of told you otherwise. O-rings  cant get rid of noise they simply dampen extra noise.

2) You'd prob like red's then. But they make noise also.

Its really a preference thing. I switched form a g510 to g710+ and loved it. Some people just like membrane keyboards more.I think your one of those people . If you don't feel impressed return it. There's nothing saying youd like to keep it. 

This is from Amazon, looks like official Logitech copy:

Logitech G710 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Lightning fast, whisper quiet—plus responsive tactile keys

With this high-performance gaming keyboard, you can make the right moves with faster, flawless, precision. Quiet non-clicking keys with superior tactile feedback help you enter commands more rapidly—and reduce distracting noise so you can keep your ears in the game. 

Logitech G710 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Lightning fast, whisper quiet—plus responsive tactile keys

With this high-performance gaming keyboard, you can make the right moves with faster, flawless, precision. Quiet non-clicking keys with superior tactile feedback help you enter commands more rapidly—and reduce distracting noise so you can keep your ears in the game. 

:lol: Marketing at its best.They must have had earplugs in. If I were you I'd contact Logitech and tell them you're not happy with their marketing.  :P

I don't think you can be too disappointed in a somewhat big purchase like this, if there wasn't an adequate amount of research done at all before the purchase. 

Anyways I think something like Black or Reds with O-rings will be quite quiet.

"Quiet non-clicking keys" They're not lying to you. Key word being keys. Browns don't click and if you don't bottom them out, they are pretty darn quiet. If you're noticing noise, it's the clack of the key against the back plate of the keyboard, not the click. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Yep, sounds like the issue is that you are used to membrane boards where you have to bottom out the keys to actuate and now you are doing that with keys that don't require it. Hitting the backplate/pcb with full force can cause a lot fatigue until you learn to not bottom out so hard.

all mechanical keyboards are louder then non mechanical keyboards. Mechanical keyboards are mechanical because mechanically the circuit is completed with a piece of metal hitting another piece of metal, which makes a noise. Its this crisp click of the mechanical completion of the circuit that many people like about mechanical keyboards.

The cool thing about keyboards is no keyboard is clearly better then the next. A monitor can be clearly better then another monitor, a cpu can be clearly better then another. But with keyboards the value of every feature is very subjective. So there is nothing wrong with you if you don't like cherry switches. Infact, i don't think they're that good. I think its a bit of a fad right now. They're overhyped and have drawbacks. Like their debounce time is way longer then topre, making them clearly inferior for gaming imo. But Topre is probably way out of your price range.

With all that said, give yourself the time to try to get used to it. You may end up enjoying them once you learn how to properly type on them.

So what I'm taking from this is that I may need to learn how to type with this differently and to give it some time. At the same time, it just might not be my thing.

Thanks for all the posts, it did help!

There is no need to convince you to like them as we all have our personal preferences. If you don't like them, that is fine not everyone does and that is just how it is.

I am using Cherry MX Browns right now and I really enjoy them. They have a good balance between typing and gaming. I like the way they feel and sound. Just my opinion. I don't like rubber dome after using MX.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

Its all preference man. Just mechanical ones are the hype right now. No biggie.

-Atlas (or CyberAtlas)

CyberAtlas.co

There is no need to convince you to like them as we all have our personal preferences. If you don't like them, that is fine not everyone does and that is just how it is.

Thats my view. Its like the guy at work that returned a Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Stealth because it wasnt silent like the box claimed. We return it but i had the fun task of explaining to him that they were saying the switch was silent and the sound that he was hearing wasnt from the switch at all.

It seems like you might be pressing too hard and bottoming out the keys.

People are used to doing that because with most rubber dome and scissor switch boards it is basically required.