Cat block airflow?

spartaman64

My cat likes to curl up behind my psu when i turn on my computer will that cause the psu to over heat when im not using the computer for intensive tasks

I would be more worried about the fur getting in there.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

No. The PSU shouldn't be affected much, if at all. The biggest risk is getting fur all inside it, so make sure it's a filtered intake if the fan is facing down. 

No. The PSU shouldn't be affected much, if at all. The biggest risk is getting fur all inside it, so make sure it's a filtered intake if the fan is facing down. 

the fan is facing up and the cat is where the air is blowing out

the fan is facing up and the cat is where the air is blowing out

That's incredibly dangerous, you wouldn't want a abnormality happening to your computer like nekomonogatari.

Buy some filters!

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

That's incredibly dangerous, you wouldn't want a abnormality happening to your computer like nekomonogatari.

Buy some filters!

I don't know... Part of me wouldn't mind it xD 

tumblr_mfwwv0nGaX1qdc388o1_500.gif

@ OP, you can get some filter sheets that can be cut down to size fairly cheap on amazon or eBay. Even with the fan facing up, it will be a good idea to filter larger holes in the case to prevent fur build up. As for the cat being behind the PSU, it won't effect it much, especially not on light loads. 

Buy some filters!

she isnt right against it shes a inch away

cat be like "ooooh warmth! *curls up*"

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

she likes the heat, maybe get an AMD processor and GPU and she'll bask in its warmth 20ft away

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and leave life wondering how the hell you did it

she likes the heat, maybe get an AMD processor and GPU and she'll bask in its warmth 20ft away

i have an amd cpu but its only 95w tdp and amd gpus are not that much hotter than nvidia gpus 

Buy some filters!

... can't you read? If you did, why would you filter air going out........?

"the fan is facing up and the cat is where the air is blowing out"

LOL I'M DYING

... can't you read? If you did, why would you filter air going out........?

"the fan is facing up and the cat is where the air is blowing out"

You can filter the rest of the intakes therefore making the chances of cat hair entering the case lower!

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

You can filter the rest of the intakes therefore making the chances of cat hair entering the case lower!

Ah, I thought you were still talking about he PSU.

No, not really unless your cat is right up against it and blocking airflow, but make sure you get yourself a filter so that cat hair doesn't get all up in your psu and system in general. silverstone offers some pretty good magnetic filters that you can just slap on the back of your psu.

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

Cat like warmness. I am sure he would lover your back of your computer even more if you had a GTX 480 :)

As the PSU expels air on the back and not suck in air, cat fur won't go in that way.

But, pets fur is a serious problem to computer cooling. I recommend frequent computer cleaning even if your PC has an air filter, especially if your pet sheds a lot. Fur/hair is an insulator. It keeps Mr. Cat and Mr. Dog, and let not forget Miss. Bunny warm and comfy.

While awesome, it does go in heatsinks and prevents fresh air for your cooling to cool off the heatsink, which in turn overheats your components.