Cleaning PC with blower... fans?

Aniallation
Go to solution Solved by itachipirate,

So later today when I feel like getting off my butt I thought I'd take my PC outside and give it a cleaning with the blower output of my shop vac. When people talk about cleaning your PC with leaf blowers and whatnot a common thing gets brought up to hold the fans so that they don't spin and generate backwards current. Now, all the fans in my PC are hooked up to an NZXT Grid connected to the PSU, so if I just unplug the Grid from the PSU, should this be fine to just let my fans spin?

Nope just hold your finger on the fan so it doesn't spin. It can either damage parts of the fan, or if it's plugged in make unwanted power. For blower coolers I don't feel like taking apart I like to use cotton swabs to clean everything out :D

So later today when I feel like getting off my butt I thought I'd take my PC outside and give it a cleaning with the blower output of my shop vac. When people talk about cleaning your PC with leaf blowers and whatnot a common thing gets brought up to hold the fans so that they don't spin and generate backwards current. Now, all the fans in my PC are hooked up to an NZXT Grid connected to the PSU, so if I just unplug the Grid from the PSU, should this be fine to just let my fans spin?

"Rawr XD"

It should be fine, but why not just tape fan blades down

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

If i was to do that,i would not let the fans spin by holding it and then blowing at it 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Nope just hold your finger on the fan so it doesn't spin. It can either damage parts of the fan, or if it's plugged in make unwanted power. For blower coolers I don't feel like taking apart I like to use cotton swabs to clean everything out :D

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

They may not damage the headers if they aren't plugged in, but it still is possible to damage the bearings or motor. I suggest taping a couple fan blades to the frame so they can't spin but still get cleaned by the blower.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

You can let the fans spin, but spin them too fast and you will damage the motor.

01101110 01101111 00100000 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101

Main Rig: i7-4790K | Corsair H100i | Asus Z97 | 16GB Ripjaws | 4TB WD Black/512GB SSD | x2 R9 290x | NZXT H440 | HX1000i | 6 Noctuas   [spoiler=SILENT BUILD] Silent build: i5-4460, Be Quiet! Pure Rock, Asrock H97, 8GB HyperX, Samsung 850 Evo 500gb, MSI GTX 970, Be Quiet! Silent Base 800, EVGA Supernova GS 650w 

AMD CPU's. [spoiler=] thats right m8 get 420 no scoped 

-snip-

dont let the fans spin trust me i did that when cleaning my my fans didn't last as long as they should off after that like a month later they broke