Question: Sata 3Gbs vs 6Gbs HD or Blu Ray?

Cwis3man

Hey Guys-

Researching/planning for my next project, and had a question and would like some opinions.

The Board I'm going to be using has the following-

1 x SATA 3Gb/s

1 x SATA 6Gb/s

1 x mSATA 6.0 Gb/s

I plan on using the mSATA for the SSD with the OS/Programs on it, my question is I'm going to have a blu ray player and a traditional HD for the other 2 ports - which would be better to use on the 6GB/s Port and why?

Main ||  i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz || Corsair H90 || Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK || HyperX Fury 16GB || Samsung 840 EVO 500GB || WD Green 4TB || EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW || Fractal Core 3500 || Corsair CX 500M ||

Wiseplex || i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz || Corsair H50 || Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI || HyperX Fury 16GB || Samsung 840 EVO 250GB || WD Green 6TB || EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC || Fractal Node 605 || Corsair CSM 450 ||

Hey Guys-

Researching/planning for my next project, and had a question and would like some opinions.

The Board I'm going to be using has the following-

1 x SATA 3Gb/s

1 x SATA 6Gb/s

1 x mSATA 6.0 Gb/s

I plan on using the mSATA for the SSD with the OS/Programs on it, my question is I'm going to have a blu ray player and a traditional HD for the other 2 ports - which would be better to use on the 6GB/s Port and why?

ODD on the slowest port as it doesn't require that much bandwidth

No difference at all on the HDD side, the only advantage I can think of is HDD's cache, but not so important

This is a signature.

Blu-ray 1x is 36Mbps, and maximum CURRENT read/white speed is 72Mbps (source)

The website says that it may expand, but I doubt it, and if it does it still wont be 3gbps.

Use the 3G/s for Bluray

6Gbp/s for HD

and 6gbps mSata for SSD.

EDIT: The Hard Drive won't use 6Gbp/s either, but it'll use a hell of a lot more bandwidth than the Bluray drive will.

Edited by MrLewisMHarris

If you found my post helpful make sure to press the "Like This" Button  ;)

Thanks guys - that's what I had figured but wanted to double check. 

Main ||  i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz || Corsair H90 || Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK || HyperX Fury 16GB || Samsung 840 EVO 500GB || WD Green 4TB || EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW || Fractal Core 3500 || Corsair CX 500M ||

Wiseplex || i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz || Corsair H50 || Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI || HyperX Fury 16GB || Samsung 840 EVO 250GB || WD Green 6TB || EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC || Fractal Node 605 || Corsair CSM 450 ||

Blu-ray 1x is 36Mbps, and maximum CURRENT read/white speed is 72Mbps (source)

The website says that it may expand, but I doubt it, and if it does it still wont be 3gbps.

Use the 3G/s for Bluray

6Gbp/s for HD

and 6gbps mSata for SSD.

EDIT: The Hard Drive won't use 6Gbp/s either, but it'll use a hell of a lot more bandwidth than the Bluray drive will.

I agree, the only device that may be limited here is the SSD. The HDDs and Blu-Ray drive won't reach the actual speeds of the 3Gb/s ports, but the SSD may do.

Plug the SSD into the mSATA slot (since thats both the best choice and the obvious choice) then plug in the other drives where they fit best :)

I agree, the only device that may be limited here is the SSD. The HDDs and Blu-Ray drive won't reach the actual speeds of the 3Gb/s ports, but the SSD may do.

Plug the SSD into the mSATA slot (since thats both the best choice and the obvious choice) then plug in the other drives where they fit best :)

idk man most hard drive wouldn't get over 3gb/s but some can get to like 450MB/s (over 3gb/s)

If you found my post helpful make sure to press the "Like This" Button  ;)

idk man most hard drive wouldn't get over 3gb/s but some can get to like 450MB/s (over 3gb/s)

Only in very short bursts. HDDs cannot reach the 250+ MB/s sequential speed that SATA 3 Gb/s allows (theoretical cap 300 MB/s with 10b/8b encoding).

Only a few HDD actually full saturate Sata 1, let alone Sata 2. That being said its always a good idea to have the HDD connected to the fastest port, and anything such as a DVD drive to the Sata 2 port.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

SATA1 theoretically allows 150 MB/s, so I would say many - but not all - HDDs do saturate that. But SATA3 is really only a thing because of SSDs. And it's still bottlenecking the heck out of SSDs. ^_^