[MOD] LGA771 to LGA775 CPU modification tutorial

harrynowl

yes . its about as fast as an i3, but has 4 real core, it can get up to near i5 performance when overclocked. 

Don't forget, Xeon also sounds better than i3 or i5 :P

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

So I bought a Xeon X3220 for $15 with free shipping, it is the same CPU as the q6600 but I wanted the Xeon counterpart because why the hell not? It is a 775 Xeon so no modding needed and I am just going to throw it in an Intel Executive board for some testing :)

yes . its about as fast as an i3, but has 4 real core, it can get up to near i5 performance when overclocked. 

Xeons are love. Xeons are life.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

So I bought a Xeon X3220 for $15 with free shipping, it is the same CPU as the q6600 but I wanted the Xeon counterpart because why the hell not? It is a 775 Xeon so no modding needed and I am just going to throw it in an Intel Executive board for some testing :)

So they look exactly the same on paper, is there any difference in performance, like are the Xeons better binned Q6600s or something?

My MSI P7N SLI Mobo is listed as supporting the Q6600 but not the Xeon, if they're the same, then why the hell not?!?

Unfortunately the only account I can find of someone doing a 771 mod to my particular mobo with a X5450 seem to have just resulted in problems, so looks like a no go.

So they look exactly the same on paper, is there any difference in performance, like are the Xeons better binned Q6600s or something?

My MSI P7N SLI Mobo is listed as supporting the Q6600 but not the Xeon, if they're the same, then why the hell not?!?

Unfortunately the only account I can find of someone doing a 771 mod to my particular mobo with a X5450 seem to have just resulted in problems, so looks like a no go.

I threw the thing in a Dell Vostro 400 motherboard (Foxxcon) and it worked no problem, so if it supports the Q6600 then you should be good to go, also I think the only difference is the Xeon has a higher thermal limit (70c I believe)

I threw the thing in a Dell Vostro 400 motherboard (Foxxcon) and it worked no problem, so if it supports the Q6600 then you should be good to go, also I think the only difference is the Xeon has a higher thermal limit (70c I believe)

I don't believe that board officially support the Xeon either: http://www.foxconnsupport.com/cpusupportlist.aspx?type=mb&socket=Socket%20775&model=G33M&cputype=Intel , so that gives me hope for mine. The Xeons seem to be a few bucks cheaper on the bay.

You try SetFSB on that Dell :D

I don't believe that board officially support the Xeon either: http://www.foxconnsupport.com/cpusupportlist.aspx?type=mb&socket=Socket%20775&model=G33M&cputype=Intel , so that gives me hope for mine. The Xeons seem to be a few bucks cheaper on the bay.

You try SetFSB on that Dell :D

No but I do want to try a pad mod :D

No but I do want to try a pad mod :D

DO IT! I didn't even know this was a thing! Let us know how it goes, obviously.

EDIT: Wonder if that conductive pen Luke used in a video a while back would work for this, beat the hell out of a brush and paint.

DO IT! I didn't even know this was a thing! Let us know how it goes, obviously.

Here is a link to the tutorial that dabobminable sent me, I am still skeptical on doing it mainly cause I don't think the 4pin CPU power can handle that for all I know plus other reason like a possible dead mobo  :blink: 3.6Ghz would be nice though  :ph34r:

http://www.overclockers.com/intel-lga775-pad-modding/

Here is a link to the tutorial that dabobminable sent me, I am still skeptical on doing it mainly cause I don't think the 4pin CPU power can handle that for all I know plus other reason like a possible dead mobo  :blink: 3.6Ghz would be nice though  :ph34r:

Want me to try it with my E6500K on my P5Q Turbo? Its got the same FSB (I'll need to drop the multiplier though).

Edit: It's be with my borked E6500K.

PMSL

Want me to try it with my E6500K on my P5Q Turbo? Its got the same FSB (I'll need to drop the multiplier though).

You have a 1066FSB chip like a Q6600 you could try it on? I don't remember if the E6500K is a 1066FSB chip.

That's the same guide I found.

I'd be interested in seeing how it goes. Is paint the best way? Or, could one of those conductive pens be used like I mentioned (seems like the pen would be much easier)?

You have a 1066FSB chip like a Q6600 you could try it on? I don't remember if the E6500K is a 1066FSB chip.

It has the same FSB of 266MHz (since its quad pumped the actual speed ends up being 1064MHz). Pretty much its just a gimped Core 2 Duo-though it is 45nm not 65nm.

That's the same guide I found.

I'd be interested in seeing how it goes. Is paint the best way? Or, could one of those conductive pens be used like I mentioned (seems like the pen would be much easier)?

Just a small piece of stick tape will do-and it can be undone if necessary. Since my P5Q Turbo has pretty much only 1 RAM slot that's working/undamaged and 1 E6500K is degraded, both are pretty much disposable so I can test multiple methods.

Edit: tape and fine wire that is, shame I can't re-purpose my 4 spare LGA771-LGA775 stickers

PMSL

both are pretty much disposable so I can test multiple methods.

Hell ya, I guess go for it :D

ive got a pair of X5470s on the way - going to try and tape mod to 4.0ghz for my retro rig.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

Hell ya, I guess go for it :D

Actually.....after I've done the Pentium, I've got a P4 631 that still won't f***ing die, so I wonder if it can be modded.

ive got a pair of X5470s on the way - going to try and tape mod to 4.0ghz for my retro rig.

And since the single threaded performance at around 4.4-4.5 GHz would be that of an i5 4440, those Xeons would be good enough for most modern games, if not better than even a locked Haswell i7 due to having 2x 4 physical cores with loads of L2 cache per core. Power consumption though will be a problem.

PMSL

Actually.....after I've done the Pentium, I've got a P4 631 that still won't f***ing die, so I wonder if it can be modded.

Pentium 4s are f****** impossible to kill

Pentium 4s are f****** impossible to kill

I'll put it this way, my P5Q Deluxe seems to have a 2.2V limit, and a month of straight Prime 95 at that voltage didn't kill it. If it had been the Pentium 630 though (physically broken-damn shame that you can't do a normal delid with LGA775 CPU) it'd be dead due to the sudden Prescott death syndrome.

PMSL

And since the single threaded performance at around 4.4-4.5 GHz would be that of an i5 4440, those Xeons would be good enough for most modern games, if not better than even a locked Haswell i7 due to having 2x 4 physical cores with loads of L2 cache per core. Power consumption though will be a problem.

yeah it currently draws 250w at idle... and has a terrible boot time... I dont intend to use it for anything other than giggles

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

yeah it currently draws 250w at idle... and has a terrible boot time... I dont intend to use it for anything other than giggles

Give it an SSD, that will solve the boot times.

PMSL

Give it an SSD, that will solve the boot times.

I have one, it takes ages as it has to initialize raid (500gbx4 raid-0)

I have one, it takes ages as it has to initialize raid (500gbx4 raid-0)

Really? Because my dual Pentium III on my Abit VP6 doesn't take long to initilaise its RAId controller at all with 3x250GB HDD in RAID 0, with another 20GB HDD on it as the boot drive.

PMSL

Really? Because my dual Pentium III on my Abit VP6 doesn't take long to initilaise its RAId controller at all with 3x250GB HDD in RAID 0, with another 20GB HDD on it as the boot drive.

maybe im just being unrealistic... it really takes about 30 seconds... its a bit longer than my perc 5/i used to take

It has the same FSB of 266MHz (since its quad pumped the actual speed ends up being 1064MHz). Pretty much its just a gimped Core 2 Duo-though it is 45nm not 65nm.

Just a small piece of stick tape will do-and it can be undone if necessary. Since my P5Q Turbo has pretty much only 1 RAM slot that's working/undamaged and 1 E6500K is degraded, both are pretty much disposable so I can test multiple methods.

Edit: tape and fine wire that is, shame I can't re-purpose my 4 spare LGA771-LGA775 stickers

Alright, so pardon my ignorance on LGA775 OC'ing, but since the OC'ing on the pad mod is essentially happening on the CPU and not in the bios, does it help with avoiding issues with ram instability or is that still as much a concern as standard OC'ing? I'd imagine pad modding a Q6600 from 266 to 333 would be a simple light OC that would most likely not need any further tweaking in Bios, right?

Alright, so pardon my ignorance on LGA775 OC'ing, but since the OC'ing on the pad mod is essentially happening on the CPU and not in the bios, does it help with avoiding issues with ram instability or is that still as much a concern as standard OC'ing? I'd imagine pad modding a Q6600 from 266 to 333 would be a simple light OC that would most likely not need any further tweaking in Bios, right?

As long as the RAM is rated for at least 800MHz (for 400MHz), it will be fine (667MHz for 333MHz). And as long as the motherboard officially supports the target FSB speed there should be no stability issues. You shouldn't need to do anything in the bios, however if the overclock is unstable then you'd need to go into the bios to manually increase the core voltage.

PMSL