[MOD] LGA771 to LGA775 CPU modification tutorial

harrynowl

effectively; yes.

not sure about the last part as most people buying oem computers never upgrade their cpu :P

OEM like to increase their profit margins, so cheap motherboard+ cheap CPU sold at a higher price=win for them

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

You can get X5450 from south Korea really cheap atm. just picked a second one up for £16.71 posted and its the e0 stepping as well :) 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

You can get X5450 from south Korea really cheap atm. just picked a second one up for £16.71 posted and its the e0 stepping as well :)

Lucky -I could only get the C0 stepping  :(

PMSL

yeah its a pentium dual core... laaame.

only paid $30 for it - will resell.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

yeah its a pentium dual core... laaame.

only paid $30 for it - will resell.

You could always see how far the Pentium can be pushed. You should be able to fry the VRM if my P5K VM is anything to go by.

PMSL

• 1 month later...

I just placed my xeon x5460 with adapter strip into my asus p5kpl-am se mobo.

Delidded states that this CPU should have zero problems.

In Bios, the board is recognizing the xeon, but it's overheating something terrible.

Did i overlook something or did i get a bad CPU?

I just placed my xeon x5460 with adapter strip into my asus p5kpl-am se mobo.

Diddled states that this CPU should have zero problems.

In Bios, the board is recognizing the xeon, but it's overheating something terrible.

Did i overlook something or did i get a bad CPU?

No, you just don't have the cooler mounted correctly or enough thermal paste. I myself have found that with LGA775 you always need to use a cooler that is attached to the motherboard with screws, clips of any kind don't have enough pressure..

PMSL

No, you just don't have the cooler mounted correctly or enough thermal paste. I myself have found that with LGA775 you always need to use a cooler that is attached to the motherboard with screws, clips of any kind don't have enough pressure..

Thank you for your help.

I have a deep cool 200m coming. I will wait for that and the artic 5 before I boot again

Arctic Silver 5 thermal grease? If it was one of their coolers I'd say don't, my Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev 2.0 absolutely sucks compared to my Coolermaster Eclipse-which is far older, cost me the same and admittedly has a unique design and better build quality..

PMSL

I kind of want to go back to 775 in my main rig... the platform still blows my mind in terms of performance today and I want to see how my 760 pairs with the q6600 or q8300  :ph34r:

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Arctic Silver 5 thermal grease? If it was one of their coolers I'd say don't, my Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev 2.0 absolutely sucks compared to my Coolermaster Eclipse-which is far older, cost me the same and admittedly has a unique design and better build quality..

I already have the artic silver thermal grease. The deep cool fan and heatsink was only $12. The mobo, RAM, case and PSU were free. $30 for the Xeon x5460 with the socket adapter strips and $21 for a GT 545. Trying to keep this build under $80 minus Windows of course.

Hi. This is a quick guide on modding your LGA771 CPU into a fully LGA775 compatible state, we'll cover why you'd want to do this later. I'll start with the basics.

--SNIP--

Nice tutorial, brings me back to the LGA 775 days. It might be easier if you heat up the blade of a x-acto knife to cut off the notches. I thought about doing this years ago but never got around to it. I've have a P5N-D laying around that should work, other than the horrible voltage droop and not liking being run over 1700Mhz on the FSB with a dual and 1500Mhz with a quad, it wasn't a bad board.

Where does one acquire LGA775 Boards these days? eBay I'm guessing is the only option eh? I have a couple of Core 2 Q6600's lying around collecting dust.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Where does one acquire LGA775 Boards these days? eBay I'm guessing is the only option eh? I have a couple of Core 2 Q6600's lying around collecting dust.

Overclock.net BST is the only place you'll find a reasonably priced LGA 775 board these days. For some reason people on ebay think the boards are worth $80+ when you can buy a high-end Z87 Board for ~ $100 on OCN.

When I built my first pfSense box a while back I bought a MSI P45 chipset board, E8400, and a CoolerMaster 120mm low profile cooler for $40 shipped on OCN.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

eBay or work for me :)

I legit never would of thought of doing this.

Cool stuff.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Just in case this isnt known - you can "overclock" basically all 771/775 chips that use 200/266/333 FSB as far as up to 400 FSB (provided your mobo supports it)

http://www.overclockers.com/intel-lga775-pad-modding/

The above article seems a little overcomplicated... But with a bit of google skillz you can find the exact process for your chip.

I clocked my e5430's from 2.66ghz (333mhz FSB) up to 3.2ghz (400mhz FSB) by covering ONE pin on the bottom of the CPU with sticky tape.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Just in case this isnt known - you can "overclock" basically all 771/775 chips that use 200/266/333 FSB as far as up to 400 FSB (provided your mobo supports it)

http://www.overclockers.com/intel-lga775-pad-modding/

The above article seems a little overcomplicated... But with a bit of google skillz you can find the exact process for your chip.

I clocked my e5430's from 2.66ghz (333mhz FSB) up to 3.2ghz (400mhz FSB) by covering ONE pin on the bottom of the CPU with sticky tape.

ok. so i will have to find out if my chipset supports it then. getting those dual x5460 in the sever would be beast!

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

ok. so i will have to find out if my chipset supports it then. getting those dual x5460 in the sever would be beast!

I replied in depth in the cinebench thread - the real winner chip for this mod is the X5470 - clocks to 4.0ghz with stickytape :-O

EBay is going to be the safest bet, unless there's a thrift store near you that happens to have a core 2 duo PC

EBay is going to be the safest bet, unless there's a thrift store near you that happens to have a core 2 duo PC

Well for me the local computer shop (or one of them) gave me my E8500 for $15. And there is only 1 for $9.50 USD atm, with others costing over $15 USD, so mine cost a lot less.

PMSL

Is doing this mod worth it? I can get the CPU Xeon E5450 and motherboard quite cheap < 70€.

How is the performance compared to i3, i5, i7?

Is doing this mod worth it? I can get the CPU Xeon E5450 and motherboard quite cheap < 70€.

How is the performance compared to i3, i5, i7?

yes . its about as fast as an i3, but has 4 real core, it can get up to near i5 performance when overclocked. 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme