[MOD] LGA771 to LGA775 CPU modification tutorial

harrynowl

If anyone could help me out with this one that would be great :) I have an old Dell XPS 720 laying around with a Q6600 at the moment, the motherboard is a BTX form factor and the chipset is a Nvidia 680i SLI and I was wondering what is the best possible LGA 771 Xeon that is compatible with this motherboard. Even though it's an OEM motherboard the bios still has overclocking options since this is a "gaming computer" but it only overclocks unlocked CPU's.

I have a few E5450's sitting around and an old LGA775 board - when I have some time to kill I plan on doing this mod for the lolz.

Unsure on the board I have, cant remember what it is specifically

Can I overclock the E5450?

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

I have a few E5450's sitting around and an old LGA775 board - when I have some time to kill I plan on doing this mod for the lolz.

Unsure on the board I have, cant remember what it is specifically

Can I overclock the E5450?

If its not OEM then you should be able to-even my shitty 3+1 phase Asus P5K-VM could overclock.

Edit; Probably not, considering the last intel motherboard I had barely gave me more Bios options than this DV6 3010AX (I really want to overclock the CPU by at least 400MHz).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Just ordered a 5460 for around the same price......

PMSL

Just ordered a 5460 for around the same price......

I just ordered one anyways, way to good of prices to pass even if it is a dual core  :blink: (I have a Xeon E3110 and want to see how they compair, also to Core 2 Duos I guess)

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

I just ordered one anyways, way to good of prices to pass even if it is a dual core  :blink: (I have a Xeon E3110 and want to see how they compair, also to Core 2 Duos I guess)

Expect 4.2GHz (or there abouts) quite safely at 1.3V

PMSL

That's insane, it really shows how overpriced C2Q are now.

that is a dual core. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

If anyone could help me out with this one that would be great :) I have an old Dell XPS 720 laying around with a Q6600 at the moment, the motherboard is a BTX form factor and the chipset is a Nvidia 680i SLI and I was wondering what is the best possible LGA 771 Xeon that is compatible with this motherboard. Even though it's an OEM motherboard the bios still has overclocking options since this is a "gaming computer" but it only overclocks unlocked CPU's.

Anyone ?

Anyone ?

Didn't see that post sorry... problem with 680i sli is it doesn't like 1333mhz FSB quads :(

A lot of the time you actually have to reduce the FSB to 1066mhz anyway :/

Didn't see that post sorry... problem with 680i sli is it doesn't like 1333mhz FSB quads :(

A lot of the time you actually have to reduce the FSB to 1066mhz anyway :/

It's running 1333mhz just fine with the Q6600 no problem, I wasn't able to overclock the Q6600 with the bios so I did the BSEL mod and for those who don't know what that is , it's basically covering one of the pads on the CPU with electric tape which brings the FSB from 1066 to 1333 which brings the clock speed from 2.4 to 3.0.

It's running 1333mhz just fine with the Q6600 no problem, I wasn't able to overclock the Q6600 with the bios so I did the BSEL mod and for those who don't know what that is , it's basically covering one of the pads on the CPU with electric tape which brings the FSB from 1066 to 1333 which brings the clock speed from 2.4 to 3.0.

well if that's ok get the fastest xeon you can for a reasonable price, the x5460 would be a good one to look at :)

well if that's ok get the fastest xeon you can for a reasonable price, the x5460 would be a good one to look at :)

See but the problem is the 680i doesn't officially support 45nm CPU's. And that's where I need help. I've seen people on the forums who got a 45nm working with the 680i. I found a X5460 for $23 but I don't want to buy it unless I know I can make it work with the 680i SLI.

See but the problem is the 680i doesn't officially support 45nm CPU's. And that's where I need help. I've seen people on the forums who got a 45nm working with the 680i. I found a X5460 for $23 but I don't want to buy it unless I know I can make it work with the 680i SLI.

My X5450 worked on 680i SLI (although I had the infamous FSB troubles). I updated to the latest BIOS before I proceeded with the mod though.

My X5450 worked on 680i SLI (although I had the infamous FSB troubles). I updated to the latest BIOS before I proceeded with the mod though.

Really ? But I'm worried about the motherboard being Dell. Do you think that would be a problem ?

Also the bios affect anything ?

What motherboard did you use for the X5450 ? 

I had an EVGA Nforce 680i SLI but I swapped it for an ASUS P5Q Green so i could use my X5450 :)

Did you experience any problems using it on the EVGA aside from the FSB ?