[MOD] LGA771 to LGA775 CPU modification tutorial

harrynowl

Hi. This is a quick guide on modding your LGA771 CPU into a fully LGA775 compatible state, we'll cover why you'd want to do this later. I'll start with the basics.

Difficulty: Intermediate

Do not attempt this mod if you aren't comfortable with working near the CPU socket or performing basic BIOS modifications.

Disclaimer:

I'm not responsible for any damage to you and/or your equipment whilst performing this modification, you proceed at your own discretion.

Tools required:

Razor blade (sharper the better):

46_TE05-091_thumb.jpg

Additional items:

Compatible motherboard

The fastest way to check compatibility is by chipset. Commonly compatible chipsets include. It is worth searching for your specific motherboard online to see if anyone has done it before:

G31*

P35

G41

P45

650i

680i**

780i

* Not all G31 chipsets are capable of running 1333MHz FSB AND/OR 45nm CPUs - please check compatibility with similar CPUs such as the Q9650 before buying anything!

** nForce 680i had issues running Quad Core CPUs with a 1333MHz FSB. If your board is 680i please note the CPU may not be stable at default frequencies.

X48, Q35 and Q45 chipsets do not work with this mod. Most Intel reference boards are not compatible. X38 can sometimes be compatible but is often not.

Chosen CPU

So the CPU is quite an important choice, you now have the option to use Xeons which are more or less identical to the consumer parts. If you're doing this mod you should probably look at the Quad cores as dual core 775 CPUs are cheap, the Xeon quads are usually considerably cheaper than the 775 Core 2 Quads.

Popular choices:

E5450/X5450 - 3GHz 1333FSB

X5460 - 3.16GHz 1333FSB

X5470 - 3.3GHz 1333FSB

To see all available CPUs please read this great list from delidded.com.

Modification sticker

To perform this modification you need a sticker to swap 2 pins around, as the only difference between the LGA775 and 771 pinout is they swapped two of the pins, a simple sticker can undo this change.

These stickers can be found cheap on eBay.

How to apply the sticker correctly

The sticker is pretty straightforward to apply, on your CPU identify which side has the golden triangle that tells how how to orientate it in the socket, there is also a triangle on the base. After you've done that you need to place the sticker over the 11th and 12th row left of the triangle on the CPU.

DO3DCRS.png

If you have applied your sticker correctly it should look like this

xYx0RjZl.jpg

Once you've applied your sticker, you can move to the next step.

Physical differences

OK so another difference between the LGA775 and LGA771 CPUs is the tab location on the CPU is different, this is a small problem as it stops the CPU being orientated into the board correctly.

uydfgRjl.jpg

Both CPUs are orientated with the gold triangle to the bottom left, as you can see the tabs are on the other sides for the 771 CPUs.

So how do we get round this?

Well if you were wondering where the razor blade (not the laptop mind you) came into this thing it's now, we need to remove the two plastic tabs from the LGA775 socket so our Xeon fits as it doesn't have the indents in the correct place. If you have a spare/broken/crappy LGA775 board you can practice on that first before you take a blade to your nice P45 board.

2HFLRYY.png

The process isn't massively difficult, it requires a decent amount of pressure to get through the plastics and just do a sawing motion avoiding contact with the pins on the motherboard.

i0yqQYql.png

When the process is complete the tabs should be cleanly off and the LGA771 CPU should be able to drop into the socket without any force.

Now what?

Now your CPU is installed to your board and you have the cooler on etc, boot it up- hopefully it should boot 1st or 2nd time (might need a CMOS reset), if it doesn't boot try cleaning the CPU and blowing on the socket and trying again, failing that try your old 775 CPU, if that doesn't work inspect for socket damage.. Now on most boards you might get a message a bit like "unrecognised CPU detected please install the BIOS to get full functionality".

E9X8oe8l.jpg

501fsb1yp9.jpg

Now- your PC will work properly without doing this however you will lose SSE4.1 instructions and you'll get this annoying message on boot, so you will probably want to "add" support to your motherboard's BIOS for your CPU.

To do this you need to identify whether your board is AMI or AwardBIOS. You can tell via the splash screen for your board that gives you the message. Your board should look like one of the two screenshots above. The top is Award and the bottom is AMI.

Instructions to add support - includes info for OEM BIOS

At some point I may write my own instructions for this, but again delidded.com has a very good guide found here. If this does not work post below and I will attempt to assist you.

At some point I may write my own instructions for this, but again delidded.com has a very good guide found here. If this does not work post below and I will attempt to assist you.

Video Guide by @Jumper118

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCTWMMhA0ro

FAQ

Q - Why would I do this?

A - LGA771 CPUs are often much cheaper than their LGA775 equivalents, and Xeons are better binned so they usually overclock better.

Q - Can I overclock the Xeon?

A - Yes, it supports overclocking the same way regular 775 CPUs does, you can find my LGA775 overclocking guide in my signature.

Q - Can I/do I need to use ECC RAM?

A - No. The LGA775 memory controller is not on the chip itself so it's individual to your board, so use regular DDR2 RAM.

Q - Is it possible to buy pre-modded CPUs?

A - Yes but you'll usually pay more, it's very easy to do it yourself.

Q - I broke my board and/or CPU! Can I sue you?

A - No.

there's not such thing as a repost when it comes to guides my friend.

Thanks for the tutorial. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Welp, I hadn't seen that one. I've been planning to write this for a while and I got ninjad :P

Thanks for the tutorial. 

Welp, I hadn't seen that one. I've been planning to write this for a while and I got ninjad :P

lol. got beaten to it by 4 days :P. your guide has more pics though so it is better. i really should do this to my board. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Nice tutorial, brings me back to the LGA 775 days. It might be easier if you heat up the blade of a x-acto knife to cut off the notches. I thought about doing this years ago but never got around to it. I've have a P5N-D laying around that should work, other than the horrible voltage droop and not liking being run over 1700Mhz on the FSB with a dual and 1500Mhz with a quad, it wasn't a bad board.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I have a EVGA 790i SLI ruuning a Xeon E5472 @ 3Ghz and 8GBs of DDR3 Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz RAM and loving it.
I have another Asus Maximus Formula with a Xeon X3363 @ 2.8Ghz and 8GBs of DDR2 Samsung 800Mhz RAM. Both are stable and fast. Just wish I could do 16Bs of DDR3 in each. I have 2-3 more LGA 775 mobos that I want to do this with and sell as cheap gaming systems.

One the the guides on this site helped me and that was the reason I became a member of Linustechtips.com. ^__^

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

I have a EVGA 790i SLI ruuning a Xeon E5472 @ 3Ghz and 8GBs of DDR3 Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz RAM and loving it.

I have another Asus Maximus Formula with a Xeon X3363 @ 2.8Ghz and 8GBs of DDR2 Samsung 800Mhz RAM. Both are stable and fast. Just wish I could do 16Bs of DDR3 in each. I have 2-3 more LGA 775 mobos that I want to do this with and sell as cheap gaming systems.

One the the guides on this site helped me and that was the reason I became a member of Linustechtips.com. ^__^

i would hope they are both stable at stock speeds!

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

i would hope they are both stable at stock speeds!

Ha ha! Ya, I want to try overclocking. I specified stable because technically, I'm running a unsupported processor on those motherboards.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

Ha ha! Ya, I want to try overclocking. I specified stable because technically, I'm running a unsupported processor on those motherboards.

well here is the best guide on the internet for 775 overclocking: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

sweet guide ,I might have to get one of those xeons to tinker with.

what chips should I be looking to get and what motherboards?

would the x5460 work with this mod?

Well the lower clocked X5450 does so yes. Just make sure that your motherboard supports the high end Q9***/QX9*** CPU's first.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Well the lower clocked X5450 does so yes. Just make sure that your motherboard supports the high end Q9***/QX9*** CPU's first.

sweet I will have to keep a look out for cheap boards on craigslist ,the cpus on ebay are dirt cheap.

thanks

sweet I will have to keep a look out for cheap boards on craigslist ,the cpus on ebay are dirt cheap.

thanks

A P5Q board from Asus would be perfect. Also, if you see an Xeon E5450 and its cheaper than an X5460 (which it should be) buy it instead. Its a lower TDP version of the X5450.

PMSL

A P5Q board from Asus would be perfect. Also, if you see an Xeon E5450 and its cheaper than an X5460 (which it should be) buy it instead. Its a lower TDP version of the X5450.

know of any m-itx boards that would work?

I've never actually looked at buying one, but I can say right now that they are extremely rare and unless you want to buy 2x 4GB sticks of DDR2 @ over $100 per stick, then your limited to 4GB RAM.

PMSL

There is a Zotac board, and also the Gigabyte EP45-UD3R is a also a good board.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Zotac had an ITX board but given the fact these chips give the FX series a run for their money in the power consumption department, I'd steer clear of that kind of board :D

• 2 weeks later...

can you please verify this works on a x48 rampage formula before i cutter up the socket?

i dont think its gonna work.....effin x48

An alternative to modding the socket is to file down the cpu's pcb with a round file. im gonna give that a go on the x5260.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

can you please verify this works on a x48 rampage formula before i cutter up the socket?

i dont think its gonna work.....effin x48

An alternative to modding the socket is to file down the cpu's pcb with a round file. im gonna give that a go on the x5260.

lol asus and x48 is the worst possible combo for this mod :( 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@harrynowl Is an NForce 610i compatible?

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

@harrynowl Is an NForce 610i compatible?

If I remember correctly, the chipset doesn't work that well with quad cores.

PMSL

If I remember correctly, the chipset doesn't work that well with quad cores.

It says 1066Mhz Max FSB. 

It says 1066Mhz Max FSB. 

Well then barely. My Xeon X5450 at 3.6GHz is running the FSB at 1600MHz (400MHz x 4).

PMSL