Running headphones too loud damages them?

Cookybiscuit
Go to solution Solved by gilm0re3,

I would recommend going to your nearest goodwill or something like that and picking up a set of cheap Dell speakers or something similar for 10 bucks or so. It just isn't worth risking breaking a set of expensive headphones just so you can have audio when not directly next to your pc.

I'm using HD650's just plugged into my motherboard. I don't have speakers, so sometimes I'll just turn the Windows volume up to 100 and turn on loudness equalisation and they get loud enough to be used as speakers. They aren't stupidly loud, just loud enough to hear most stuff clearly while they are next to me on my desk.

Could this damage them in any way?

Thanks.

I would recommend going to your nearest goodwill or something like that and picking up a set of cheap Dell speakers or something similar for 10 bucks or so. It just isn't worth risking breaking a set of expensive headphones just so you can have audio when not directly next to your pc.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Absolutely agree. No sense in wrecking a good pair of headphones.

Absolutely agree. No sense in wrecking a good pair of headphones.

Even if it doesn't harm the headphones, why not just spend a little bit of cash to get something that is actually intended for playing audio into an open environment?

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Even if it doesn't harm the headphones, why not just spend a little bit of cash to get something that is actually intended for playing audio into an open environment?

That as well. Pretty much any speakers are gonna massively improve the experience.

I believe that the 650 can handle 200mW of power. Most motherboards are unlikely to be able to put out anywhere near that amount of power.

However, you should get speakers. Even an inexpensive pair will probably sound better anyway.

Meh, you guys are probably right, I'll just get a crap pair of speakers.