Overclock fx 8350 to 5.0ghz or more?

Hi, yes its another fx 8350 overclock. This time i need help bringing my 8350 to 5.0ghz stable enough to run a game like dayz or gta v. I believe i have enough cooling with a Deep Cool captain 360 (360 mm radiator water cooler) in a phantom 530 with maxed out fans (all the fan slots are full). I've been getting it into bios but my MSI gaming 970 motherboard seams to set the voltage at 1.6 like no matter what and then it just crashes. any help? 

1.6v is ALOT for an FX chip. The maximum  I had my old 8350 set to was 1.51v and achieved 5Ghz stable. But it produces loads of heat (more than a single 360 rad could dissipate in prime95). But at 1.6v your chip will die quickly and produce evermore heat. 

I was doing my OCing on a Crossfair V-Formua Z that had a great VRM power phase.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Looks like another loss in the silicon battle...

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

On an MSI 970 Gaming? Not in a million lightyears. It's a 6+2 VRM board.

6+2 VRM board, whats that?

you are trying to reach the fx 9370 levels of performance with a mid end motherboard. The 9590 came with many warnings on how much power/ cooling it needed, so even though you are covered on the cooling side, i doubt your motherboard will be able to stably supply the volts to get your chip up that high (also is 1.6v not enough, because i nearly pissed my tits when i saw that because im used to the intel norm of 1.2v). 

That is also assuming your chip can get that high, as the chips that go into the 9590 are custom selected, meaning that they are better than average at overclocking, so unless you have a good chip, 5ghz is out of the question.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Hi, yes its another fx 8350 overclock. This time i need help bringing my 8350 to 5.0ghz stable enough to run a game like dayz or gta v. I believe i have enough cooling with a Deep Cool captain 360 (360 mm radiator water cooler) in a phantom 530 with maxed out fans (all the fan slots are full). I've been getting it into bios but my MSI gaming 970 motherboard seams to set the voltage at 1.6 like no matter what and then it just crashes. any help? 

a little off topic but.... maxing fan slots is generally a bad thing. its about air flow, and adding more fans causes more turbulence. I have my phantom 530 with just a single 200mm intake and  a 140mm exhaust and i have all the cooling i need. that case doesn't need much fans, with just the two drive bay module you have no obstructions to the intake air and the case is so well ventilated that adding more fans is pretty much useless.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

Basically it means that your motherboard doesn't have a beefy enough power delivery system to ensure stability at such a high overclock. This is why a relatively high-end AMD motherboard is a sort of "invisible requirement" for an FX-9590.

the power phases are essentially the circuits used to provide power. the first number shows how many lanes go to the cpu, the second shows how many go to the memory. it is important to have more lanes for the cpu at higher voltages. the more lanes you have the more stable the power delivery is. with the voltage regulators typically found on a 970 chipset board, you're not going to hit 5.0ghz without frying something. regardless of how many lanes it offers.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

it means the power delivery is not strong enough to handle 5 Ghz and 1.6 volts

a good mobo for those extreme overclocks is the asrock 990fx extreme 9, asus sabertooth 990fx, or the asus crosshair V formula

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

the power phases are essentially the circuits used to provide power. the first number shows how many lanes go to the cpu, the second shows how many go to the memory. it is important to have more lanes for the cpu at higher voltages. the more lanes you have the more stable the power delivery is. with the voltage regulators typically found on a 970 chipset board, you're not going to hit 5.0ghz without frying something. regardless of how many lanes it offers.

Basically it means that your motherboard doesn't have a beefy enough power delivery system to ensure stability at such a high overclock. This is why a relatively high-end AMD motherboard is a sort of "invisible requirement" for an FX-9590.

On an MSI 970 Gaming? Not in a million lightyears. It's a 6+2 VRM board.

would the asus m5a97 be any better?

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-M5A97-R2-0-SATA-Motherboard/dp/B008V9959O

Honestly, just sell that shit to the most offering and buy a modern CPU.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

no, it's even worse than the 970 gaming.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Don't buy a new board for an AM3+ system to get 200mhz extra. You suffer from terrible diminishing returns.

Take what you can achieve on that board for granted, and save up for a better system.

Also, no.

that is still a 970 chipset. you are far better off selling your cpu and motherboard and getting an i5. even a locked i5 4440 would give you far better performance with the advantage of working with cheap no frills motherboards.

My rig:

anyways you don't really think buying a new motherboard for that would be worth it?!

Your CPU rank a single core score of 104 in cinebench R15 at 4.0ghz and it will score like 114 @ 5.0ghz...it's still a LONG way short of any haswell CPU that score anywhere from 165 to 210 depending on the clockspeed...i mean, overclocking a CPU with such poor IPC to begin with only bring so little benefits that the increased power consumption alone makes it not worth it to overclock them in the first place.

You're going to find a 6+2 power phase design on most boards with the 970 chipset. What you're looking for is a very high-end overclocking feature. Honestly if they aren't advertising an 8+2 design as a feature worth talking about it, it probably doesn't have it.

Even if you got an expensive board, even if your CPU actually gets stable at 5 GHz, you're maybe still looking at Core i5 gaming performance in the most favorable cases. Better to do what you can on your current board and save this money for a CPU/motherboard upgrade in my opinion.

anyways you don't really think buying a new motherboard for that would be worth it?!

Your CPU rank a single core score of 104 in cinebench R15 at 4.0ghz and it will score like 114 @ 5.0ghz...it's still a LONG way short of any haswell CPU that score anywhere from 165 to 210 depending on the clockspeed...i mean, overclocking a CPU with such poor IPC to begin with only bring so little benefits that the increased power consumption alone makes it not worth it to overclock them in the first place.

that is still a 970 chipset. you are far better off selling your cpu and motherboard and getting an i5. even a locked i5 4440 would give you far better performance with the advantage of working with cheap no frills motherboards.

so yall want to pay for my new parts or something?

Just keep what you have, and enjoy it while it lasts. There is just no point in upgrading to a new motherboard, because of diminishing returns and the fact it's a dead socket...

Just keep what you have, and enjoy it while it lasts. There is just no point in upgrading to a new motherboard, because of diminishing returns and the fact it's a dead socket...

You're going to find a 6+2 power phase design on most boards with the 970 chipset. What you're looking for is a very high-end overclocking feature. Honestly if they aren't advertising an 8+2 design as a feature worth talking about it, it probably doesn't have it.

Even if you got an expensive board, even if your CPU actually gets stable at 5 GHz, you're maybe still looking at Core i5 gaming performance in the most favorable cases. Better to do what you can on your current board and save this money for a CPU/motherboard upgrade in my opinion.

so whats the highest you think i can get out of it? i got up to 4.5ghz

so whats the highest you think i can get out of it? i got up to 4.5ghz

1.5V is really the max you should go for 24/7...so check how high a multiplier you can get stable with those volts...it should be around 4.5/4.6ghz indeed...and as i said, it really won't change much...i know i owned one and the performance on these just doesnt scale well with increased clockspeed...added power consumption and heat output alone void the benefit of overclocking old AM3+ shit IMHO.

Anyways it's not the board that prevent you from being stable at 5ghz it's the CPU itself...1.6v is a lot more volts than what should be sent through that chip...if it's not doing then it never will even with the best board...currently your board is capable of supplying that kind of power to your CPU...the fact that your board run cheaper voltage regulation modules might mean the board will have to trottle down the CPU clock to prevent meltdown under prolonged workload...but it won't prevent your CPU to run stable at such high voltages.

i got 4.8GHz out of my FX8350 + Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 with 6+2 powerphase and digi vrm.

It depends a bit on your motherboard, The Msi has not realy the best quality vreg components in general.

And i have seen allot of overclocking tests, that as soon as you get pass 4.6GHz, the vrm´s and mosfets start to run hot like crazy.

Msi 970 gaming board does have a smart protect feuture build in.

But 1.6V is way to high, 1.5V ish, is arround normal for 5.0 GHz.

But your motherboard is not capable enough, Msi also does not use digi vrm´s, which makes it harder to control peak voltages, and fine tuning an overclock.

If you realy want super high overclocks like 5.0GHz + then i´m starting to talk about real overclockers motherboard.

Like the Asus crosshair V Formula Z, or Asrock 990FX Extreme 9.

And forget about any other motherboard.

you were talking about getting a new motherboard, the thing is, a motherboard of high enough quality to get 5.0 ghz out of an 8350 would set you back enough to make an i5 upgrade comparable in price. that's all i was saying.

My rig:

1.6v is ALOT for an FX chip. The maximum  I had my old 8350 set to was 1.51v and achieved 5Ghz stable. But it produces loads of heat (more than a single 360 rad could dissipate in prime95). But at 1.6v your chip will die quickly and produce evermore heat. 

I was doing my OCing on a Crossfair V-Formua Z that had a great VRM power phase.

Mine takes 1.65v to get 5.0Ghz stable and it takes 1.55v to get 4.8Ghz stable.

Lucky chip I got huh? Lol

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

Mine takes 1.65v to get 5.0Ghz stable and it takes 1.55v to get 4.8Ghz stable.

Lucky chip I got huh? Lol

Indeed! :)

But thats ALOT of voltage IMO for 24/7 use. I would personally not be comfortable with that. I guess your LQ Loop is massive to keep that cool? :P

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)