Apparently, SSDs lose data if left without power for as little as 7 days

nakquada

i did not know this.

If this is true, then Linus really should update his video about HD VS SSD

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

also, wouldnt this mean, that if i left my computer off (with the power cable out) when i go on holliday for 2 weeks, my OS would be corrupt, or straight out deleted

edit: false alarm, "Consumer class SSDs can store data for up to two years before the standard drops"  which i think means that i can leave it for 2 years

Edited by noisebomb44

also, wouldnt this mean, that if i left my computer off (with the power cable out) when i go on holliday for 2 weeks, my OS would be corrupt, or straight out deleted

If you read carefully, part of the data will be gone, not everything. And yes.. this happens to be true as it's confirmed by some major companies. Just backup your data and don't use the SSD as storage drive if not needed, just use it for OS and other programs that run in the background such as virusscanner or so.

If you read carefully, part of the data will be gone, not everything. And yes.. this happens to be true as it's confirmed by some major companies. Just backup your data and don't use the SSD as storage drive if not needed, just use it for OS and other programs that run in the background such as virusscanner or so.

yeah, but if the data that happens to be lost is essential for windows to be run, then we have a problem, and maybe need to have batteries in SSDs, just like in the old days with save files

edit: although this small data loss can happen with any operation, there is always a chance that something goes wrong, so i guess its not that big of a deal

Edited by noisebomb44

Yeah, because why would I want to use the expensive storage device I just bought for storage right?..

This little bit of info about SSD's doesn't signify the end of the world but it's the first I'm hearing of it and it sounds like a hassle and a notable drawback that I've never seen the "SSD = GOD squad" on this forum mention.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Due to a defect PSU my pc was off for about a month.

I havent experienced any data loss or corruption on my Crucial M500

Started Folding@Home on 02-05-2015

Yeah, because why would I want to use the expensive storage device I just bought for storage right?..

This little bit of info about SSD's doesn't signify the end of the world but it's the first I'm hearing of it and it sounds like a hassle and a notable drawback that I've never seen the "SSD = GOD squad" on this forum mention.

Yeah because people buy a SSD "just for storage" .... people buy SSD so it makes booting up programs quicker.. 

If you "just want storage" take a mechanical drive, not a SSD.

Having SSD + HDD is the best you can have, quick bootups + lots of storage.

Who doesn't boot up their computer within 7 days, I boot up mine 1 once a day, then get stuck on it for a couple of hours.

Don't say "what if you go on holiday?" just don't ok?

I have a couple of SSDs in external housings.   Just plugged one in after almost a year, just to check.  Everything is still on there. 

I smell sensationalist journalism.  Just buy decent stuff rather than cheap rubbish and don't store it in a working oven.

The article sucks.

All it says is that some HDD manufacture (Seagate) bashes, with no grounds of support, that SOME SSD, looses data as little as 7 days if not powered.

BUT most SSDs retain data for 2 years for consumer grade SSDs.

So what are the "7 days data loss if no powered"-SSDs? If it is the TLC chip based Samsung SSDs with their original firmware, we know it has problem. Or I think it is more some shitty unknown brand SSDs with poor performance that were able to dig up to favor their claim (assuming any of it is true) as a desperate attempt to boost HDD sales.

Get with the time Seagate, or disappear. At least Western Digital spend more time on trying to adapt the market/industry change, than wasting time on sensationalist bias-articles to scare the consumer.

The article sucks.

All it says is that some HDD manufacture (Seagate) bashes, with no grounds of support, that SOME SSD, looses data as little as 7 days if not powered.

BUT most SSDs retain data for 2 years for consumer grade SSDs.

So what are the "7 days data loss if no powered"-SSDs? If it is the TLC chip based Samsung SSDs with their original firmware, we know it has problem. Or I think it is more some shitty unknown brand SSDs with poor performance that were able to dig up to favor their claim (assuming any of it is true) as a desperate attempt to boost HDD sales.

Get with the time Seagate, or disappear. At least Western Digital spend more time on trying to adapt the market/industry change, than wasting time on sensationalist bias-articles to scare the consumer.

Well i suspect the actual scientific results were alot less dramatic then the ones given here. this is only ugliest worst case scenario which never really happens enough to call it common. If it is true it should reflect on on reality

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

This is not true. I have a 512GB sata2 ssd in a usb enclosure. It goes weeks at a time without being connected to anything. Everything is still on it.

Who doesn't boot up their computer within 7 days, I boot up mine 1 once a day, then get stuck on it for a couple of hours.

What if you go out and get kidnapped?

This apparently needs more research and to which manufactures it can occur.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

I think it needs more clarification on what would be a consumer class SSD and wwhat would be an enterprise class SSD, as we have some high-end consumer SSDs that claim to be "enterprise class for consumers".

Yes intel 730, i'm looking at you!

Consumer class SSDs can lose data in a week if stored powered off at a temperature of 55C, that's 131F, you would die if you lived in an environment at that temperature for a week as well!

What if you go out and get kidnapped?

I live in Australia, that never happens, and besides, I don't walk anywhere.

why would going on holiday be a invalid argument, i mean i never take my stationary computer with me, do you?

why would going on holiday be a invalid argument, i mean i never take my stationary computer with me, do you?

I do.

I do.

in australia, you are always on holiday