Can I cut unneeded cables off a non-modular PSU?

Salty

I'm planning to make the cable management as neat as possible in my upcoming Q9550 build, but I don't have a very big budget for the PSU. Is it remotely possible that I could cheap out and buy a non-modular PSU and cut off the extra PCI-E/SATA/Molex cables I won't be using? I need to know whether it is safe to do this or not, or whether I should insulate the stems of the removed cables.

First of all, don't cheap out on a PSU. It could blow up and take out other components when it does.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

You can, you shouldn't unless there is really no space for the bundle.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Don't do it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I was scared shitless when leaving cut cables in my car amplifier (covered with electrical tape, but still), but to think I would do that to a PSU? NEVER!

But yeah, try it... we can be in for another big bang :D

I'm planning to make the cable management as neat as possible in my upcoming Q9550 build, but I don't have a very big budget for the PSU. Is it remotely possible that I could cheap out and buy a non-modular PSU and cut off the extra PCI-E/SATA/Molex cables I won't be using? I need to know whether it is safe to do this or not, or whether I should insulate the stems of the removed cables.

What kind of budget do you have for a psu? What currency will you use. USD, CAD, AUD, etc, etc?

Do not cheap out on the psu. Don't cut the cords. That's my suggestion.

You can find great psu's at good prices.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220gs0550v1

It's always a good day if you woke up breathing.

Don't do it.

why? i was thinking about doing it too

i would think it would be safe if u capped the cut wires

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

why? i was thinking about doing it too

i would think it would be safe if u capped the cut wires

if you get any sort of contact between the cables you might fry the psu. If that's worth the risk to you, go right ahead ^^

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yes, I did it on a recent mITX build where the cables were just excessive. I insulated some cables, but didn't bother with some. Won't be able to expand the PC, but it has been running stably for months now.

EDIT: Stable for over a year, not as recent as I thought.

Of course you can. Just insulate the wires with electric tape after.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

Of course you can. Just insulate the wires with electric tape after.

That is exactly what I'm doing, I have electrical tape already. I just wish someone would give me a solid answer on this because some people are saying no and some people are saying yes.

First of all, don't cheap out on a PSU. It could blow up and take out other components when it does.

When I say "cheap out" I mean I'm not going to blow $135 on an EVGA 650W G1 just for modular cables and gold efficiency.

if you get any sort of contact between the cables you might fry the psu. If that's worth the risk to you, go right ahead ^^

ok that sounds fine then

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

If the ends are insulated properly, it's probably safe.

I wouldn't though.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

My advice, Don't cut it xp
if you do then protect the ends so they won't hit anything but I strongly advice not to do it,

Better buy a semi-modular or full modular power supply, never cheap out on it but don't spend to much on it either, if you only need 500 wat then don't buy a 1200 watt power supply xp

If you are confident with basic hand skills, you should be fine. "cheaping-out" on non critical functions like modularity is fine. I dont know why people hate so much on modding stuff, most of em are just using 18AWG wires. I have personally cut up few psu (ITX builts)..

Anyways... yeah full discharge. cut and isolate each wire well with few layers of electrical tape. then bunch em nicely and tape that aswell. Heck if youre paranoid, tape the areas that the taped-up wire might touch even. I personally just chose the more dangerous path of desoldering em. 

Tip: cut and insulate one wire at a time. Dont cut a few at once if you are afraid its not fully discharged. It can short out "through" scissors or whatever cutting edge you are using. This only happens when its charged tho. 

I don't blame you. I just went through 10 pages on Australian pcpp and found very few modular psu's in the price range you're looking at.

I did find this. Its tier 3. Taiwanese caps, but semi modular.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-power-supply-fdpsuin3b650w

I feel for you. Seems you guys get screwed over a lot for price and availability. Wtf?

If you feel you have to, get some wire caps and electrical tape and make sure you cap them well and tape them.

I'm guessing its not an option to just route the excess wires behind the motherboard tray, between the back panel, and stuff them into an empty hard drive cage?

It's always a good day if you woke up breathing.

I don't blame you. I just went through 10 pages on Australian pcpp and found very few modular psu's in the price range you're looking at.

I did find this. Its tier 3. Taiwanese caps, but semi modular.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-power-supply-fdpsuin3b650w

I feel for you. Seems you guys get screwed over a lot for price and availability. Wtf?

If you feel you have to, get some wire caps and electrical tape and make sure you cap them well and tape them.

I'm guessing its not an option to just route the excess wires behind the motherboard tray, between the back panel, and stuff them into an empty hard drive cage?

The Fractal is a possibility. I still need to look at my other options but yeah as you said we get screwed over badly with pricing etc lol :(

Please! NO!

CPU: i7 4790k Devil's Canyon MOBO: G1.SNIPER | GPU: GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ | CPU-COOLER: CM Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: G.Skill Sniper X 8GB

PSU: Corsair CX600 | CASE: Corsair 760T | MONITOR: Vizio 32in HDTV | HDD & SDD: Kingston 256GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

Even if you did, don't.

Intel i7 6700k - MSI Z17A0 Gaming M5 - 4 x 8Gb Kingston HyperX 2666Mhz - MSI GTX 970 - Samsung Pro 128Gb - WD 3Tb - 750 Watt MS-TECH

I did it on an matx system that ran fine for 5 years. Just insulate the ends with electrical tape. For extra precaution I cut the ends different lengths so there would be less risk of the cut ends ever contacting one another. Ideally, just spend a few extra bucks for a modular PSU.