PS3/4 or X360/1 controller for Skyrim/The Witcher 3

Wadu436
Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,

Oh don't use a controller for Skyrim, it completely ruins gameplay. :(

While it might for you, one of the amazing benefits of PC Gaming is choice! (You know, some of that BS that #PCMR always goes on about)

So while it might be better for you, perhaps @Wadu436 prefers to use a controller for it. Given that I've personally played Skyrim on both the XBox 360 as well as PC, I can personally verify that the controller does indeed work quite well. I personally prefer Keyboard + Mouse more - especially if you're doing any archery, but aside from Archery, everything else is super easy to do with a controller.

@Wadu436 I'd suggest the XBox 360 (Or XBox One) controller, since, in my experience, it's far superior to the PS3/4 controller.

What is the best controller for those? The last time I used a controller was a PS2 controller. What one would be the best?

Always trying to find reason.

I use Xbox 360 controller and it's been great as well but might jump to a PS4 or xbone controller in the future 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

While it might for you, one of the amazing benefits of PC Gaming is choice! (You know, some of that BS that #PCMR always goes on about)

So while it might be better for you, perhaps @Wadu436 prefers to use a controller for it. Given that I've personally played Skyrim on both the XBox 360 as well as PC, I can personally verify that the controller does indeed work quite well. I personally prefer Keyboard + Mouse more - especially if you're doing any archery, but aside from Archery, everything else is super easy to do with a controller.

@Wadu436 I'd suggest the XBox 360 (Or XBox One) controller, since, in my experience, it's far superior to the PS3/4 controller.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Depends on which you're most used to... I preferred the  dualshock style so I bought the logitech rumble pad. Its like Xbox buttons in playstation format. Oh and has X & D inputs. No extra driver needed.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

The Xbox 360 controller is the most readily supported on PC by far.

I don't really care about support, as there are stuff like DS4, that make a PS4 controller compatible with XInput

I use Xbox 360 controller and it's been great as well but might jump to a PS4 or xbone controller in the future 

I'll ask my friends if any of them have a spare X360 controller that I can borrow to test it then! Thanks everyone!

EDIT: @dalekphalm Do I need anything besides the drivers to use this one: Link To Amazon

I don't really care about support, as there are stuff like DS4, that make a PS4 controller compatible with XInput

I'll ask my friends if any of them have a spare X360 controller that I can borrow to test it then! Thanks everyone!

EDIT: @dalekphalm Do I need anything besides the drivers to use this one: Link To Amazon

If you get the wireless one,you will need the dongle 

for the wired controller it is mostly plug and play (Windows automatically installs drivers,as far as i remember) 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

for the wired controller it is mostly plug and play (Windows automatically installs drivers,as far as i remember) 

it looks like the wired one

I believe that is the official MS wired controller - if so (given that I don't speak - whatever that is, German?), then yes, all you'll need is the Microsoft driver - which should auto-install in Windows 7+.

But has @Sharif says, if you get the Wireless version, you'll need to buy the dongle, which is generally sold separately.

Also, if you borrow a controller from a friend, make sure it's the wired version. The Wireless ones won't work without the dongle, even if you plug the USB "Charge n Play" cable into the PC.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

it looks like the wired one

You could get the combo pack directly or separately depending on which ever is cheaper 

From my experience

Wired

• No battery hassle
  • No connection issues
  • Long wire
  • A little auto open connection at junction to prevent dragging,in case of anybody tripping over the wire  
  • Wires everywhere....
  • It is lighter 

Wireless (Didn't use but I will talk from my neighbors wireless one,they use on their 360) 

• Battery hassle (Unless if you got rechargeable ones) 
  • Connection issues ingame mainly because of the low battery (Xbox 360)  
  • NO DAMN wire clutter everywhere (Wire may be long but if you are like me who doesn't like a mess,it can be annoying) 
  • The battery pack on the controller got loose but could be becasue of Misuse 
  • It is heavier 

If I had the money and buy it again,i would go for the wireless one

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

You could get the combo pack directly or separately depending on which ever is cheaper 

From my experience

Wired

• No battery hassle
  • No connection issues
  • Long wire
  • A little auto open connection at junction to prevent dragging,in case of anybody tripping over the wire  
  • Wires everywhere....
  • It is lighter 

Wireless (Didn't use but I will talk from my neighbors wireless one,they use on their 360) 

• Battery hassle (Unless if you got rechargeable ones) 
  • Connection issues ingame mainly because of the low battery (Xbox 360)  
  • NO DAMN wire clutter everywhere (Wire may be long but if you are like me who doesn't like a mess,it can be annoying) 
  • The battery pack on the controller got loose but could be becasue of Misuse 
  • It is heavier 

If I had the money and buy it again,i would go for the wireless one

I have a desk with a bunch of cables already, so the cables aren't really an issue (and I already got wires everywhere)

@dalekphalm @Sharif With an X1 controller, do I need an extra dongle for it, or do I need a special cable?

If it's the Wired version, then no. If the Wireless version, you will need a wireless dongle - which I don't know if they've released one yet for the XBox One controller.

If it's the Wired version, then no. If the Wireless version, you will need a wireless dongle - which I don't know if they've released one yet for the XBox One controller.

I think with the wireless one it was just a MicroUSB cable though.

I think with the wireless one it was just a MicroUSB cable though.

I would strongly suggest verifying that before purchasing though.

With the XBox 360 wireless controller, even if you plug it into the USB cable directly into the PC, it will still communicate wirelessly. The USB cable supplies power only.

I do not know whether they changed this with the XBox One wireless controller.

With the XBox 360 wireless controller, even if you plug it into the USB cable directly into the PC, it will still communicate wirelessly. The USB cable supplies power only.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/controller-pc-compatibility

it says on a microsoft page it uses a micro usb cable so I guess it should work

PS4 controller is the best imo. Just install InputMapper/DS4Windows and it instantly becomes one of the best PC controllers ever, with profiles (which you can set to change automatically based on what you launch), full remapping, macros, wireless through a standard protocol so you don't have to go buy some proprietary dongle, a fully functional multitouch pad, control over the lightbar (I like setting it to show battery life), an actual rechargeable battery out of the box (and it basically charges with any micro usb charger). It's good stuff.

PS4 controller is the best imo. Just install InputMapper/DS4Windows and it instantly becomes one of the best PC controllers ever, with profiles (which you can set to change automatically based on what you launch), full remapping, macros, wireless through a standard protocol so you don't have to go buy some proprietary dongle, a fully functional multitouch pad, control over the lightbar (I like setting it to show battery life), an actual rechargeable battery out of the box (and it basically charges with any micro usb charger). It's good stuff.

I've got an Xbox One controller, and apparently, you don't need batteries if you're gonna use a microUSB cable. I don't really care about remapping, as you can do that in the games themselves. I used one of the PS4 controllers in the store, but for me the Xbox controller feels better

So I got an X1 controller, it works with most MicroUSB cables, you apparently don't need batteries, and it sucks for skyrim (because (cross)bows). I only tested it in 2 games yet, but it's amazing for Just Cause 2. I'm gonna test Burnout Paradise later