Did I just buy the wrong RAM?

Go to solution Solved by Syh,

Just did before you wrote it, well, that sucks x) Ah ma gad, well F it, I'll just keep the bastards for the looks of it,  even if the performance would be an increase of 0.000000001% it's still an increase in performance, all I care about is to not Lose any performance!

But just to make clear, there would be nothing wrong in using two packages of 2x4 (total of 4x4) in my motherboard? If not, then I'll just keep it ...

Nothing wrong at all; your motherboard supports it.

EDIT: Syh: Thanks for the reply, but as I said, as long as I not lose ANY performance I'll keep these ones just for the visual appearance because they'll look much more clean with my new build!  :)

Yeah, I noticed that after I posted it haha. I recently swapped solely based on color myself, so if it fits your theme better and makes you happy, then money well spent.

Hey guys! I just ordered two packages of RAM, each package with 2 sticks of Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 2133MHz, so totally I would be using 4 sticks with 4 gb on each, so 4x4.

The thing is I just watched a youtube video and I got so confused, did I just do a big mistake? He said something with the channels on my motherboard and stuff..

So these are the RAM sticks:

http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/datorkomponenter/177988-corsair_vengeance_pro_black_8gb_ddr3_pc3-17000_2133mhz_cl11 (Sorryfor the text being in Swedish)

And this is my motherboard:

http://www.inet.se/produkt/1902526/msi-z87-s02-inet-edition-atx#/specs

So will this run? And will it run as it's supposed to? I really hope I didn't buy the wrong stuff ...

EDIT: For some reason it's linking the wrong RAM memory sticks, will try to fix it..
EDIT2: Text is all messed up but I think the links are working now ...

GPU: RTX 2080 Super                                                                             Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB

CPU: i7-9700K                                                                                       MouseLogitech G PRO Wireless
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengance PRO                                                         Headset: Corsair HS70 PRO Wireless

PSU: CX650F                                                                                         MousepadCorsair MM500 Extended 3XL
MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A                                                                     ControllerDualSense 5

Case: Lian Li Lancool II                                                                          CameraCanon EOS M50

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5                                                                      CoolingCorsair H100i Platinum

The white Rabbit                                                                                           MicrophoneTrust GXT 252+

Nope, you're good.

Four sticks on Z87 will run as dual-channel, since that's the max memory channel. Enable XMP profiles in the BIOS when you get the sticks and they will run at the proper speed and timing.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

It's fine.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Nope, you're good.

Four sticks on Z87 will run as dual-channel, since that's the max memory channel. Enable XMP profiles in the BIOS when you get the sticks and they will run at the proper speed and timing.

Ah okay but would it be the same thing if I just bought one pack? Also is "11-11-11-27" good? or is lower better? (Felling like a noob)

It's fine.

Ah okay thanks, so I can just plug them all in and go for it?

GPU: RTX 2080 Super                                                                             Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB

CPU: i7-9700K                                                                                       MouseLogitech G PRO Wireless
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengance PRO                                                         Headset: Corsair HS70 PRO Wireless

PSU: CX650F                                                                                         MousepadCorsair MM500 Extended 3XL
MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A                                                                     ControllerDualSense 5

Case: Lian Li Lancool II                                                                          CameraCanon EOS M50

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5                                                                      CoolingCorsair H100i Platinum

The white Rabbit                                                                                           MicrophoneTrust GXT 252+

Ah okay but would it be the same thing if I just bought one pack? Also is "11-11-11-27" good? or is lower better? (Felling like a noob)

Ah okay thanks, so I can just plug them all in and go for it?

11-11-11-27 is about expected for 2133MHz RAM, not the fastest timings but you won't get much faster with that clockspeed.

Buying one 4x4GB pack would yield the same result. I would have preferred to go with 2x8GB DIMMS so you have more future expandability, but 4x4GB will perform just as well.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

11-11-11-27 is about expected for 2133MHz RAM, not the fastest timings but you won't get much faster with that clockspeed.

Buying one 4x4GB pack would yield the same result. I would have preferred to go with 2x8GB DIMMS so you have more future expandability, but 4x4GB will perform just as well.

I'm afraid that the ones I have now is better than the ones I just bought (For freakin' 200 bucks total)

But I mean would one 2x4 be better than 4x4 because of... reasons? Or I'm better of just using them all?

The ones I have now are Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2x8 @ 1600MHz 10-10-10-27

Which ones should I use? Maybe I can send these back if they are worse than the ones I got!

I'm afraid that the ones I have now is better than the ones I just bought (For freakin' 200 bucks total)

But I mean would one 2x4 be better than 4x4 because of... reasons? Or I'm better of just using them all?

The ones I have now are Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2x8 @ 1600MHz 10-10-10-27

Which ones should I use? Maybe I can send these back if they are worse than the ones I got!

The RAM you just bought will be slightly faster, but you shoudn't have bought a 4x4GB kit since there's no actual increase in the amount of RAM. Send it back.

The RAM you just bought will be slightly faster, but you shoudn't have bought a 4x4GB kit since there's no actual increase in the amount of RAM. Send it back.

Yeah I bought 2 packages of 2x4... But should I keep the RAM I got now or upgrade to better ones? Which ones should I buy that are better?

EDIT: Btw I don't care about not being able to upgrade in the future because I'm buying a new motherboard the next time anyways, and then I will buy a 2011 socket and DDR4 RAM sticks, so it's just "temporary" (for a year maybe a little more, won't upgrade anything until then)

Yeah I bought 2 packages of 2x4... But should I keep the RAM I got now or upgrade to better ones? Which ones should I buy that are better?

If you don't find yourself needing more RAM, keep the RAM you have now and return the stuff you just bought. If you need more RAM, get an identical 16GB kit to the one you already have.

If you don't find yourself needing more RAM, keep the RAM you have now and return the stuff you just bought. If you need more RAM, get an identical 16GB kit to the one you already have.

I don't want more I just want better! As you can see in this thread that I made (link at the end) I just ordered completely new stuff for my computer and I want everything to match colorwise and these RAM sticks are black and the ones I have now are red and I'm building a blue setup, can always keep the ones I bought (If they are faster as you said) and sell the ones I have now to a friend and still "earn" something on it, maybe get back like 50 bucks!

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362698-new-computer-what-do-you-guys-think/

I don't want more I just want better! As you can see in this thread that I made (link at the end) I just ordered completely new stuff for my computer and I want everything to match colorwise and these RAM sticks are black and the ones I have now are red and I'm building a blue setup, can always keep the ones I bought (If they are faster as you said) and sell the ones I have now to a friend and still "earn" something on it, maybe get back like 50 bucks!

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362698-new-computer-what-do-you-guys-think/

You won't notice the difference if you're just gaming.

You won't notice the difference if you're just gaming.

Someone in the other thread asked me "What will the computer be used for?"

And this was my answer :)

Gaming + Over clocking, also I'm a streamer so it will be used for streaming as well, and when I'm not streaming I like to edit my videos that I record while playing etc etc!

I make my own overlays and I love to play in Photoshop!

TL;DR:

Gaming, streaming, over clocking, video and photo editing!

Will I notice a difference in doing any of those tasks?

Thanks for the answers guys! :)

Watch this.

I was just about to link to that, haha.

Anyway, if the new ones match the theme you're going for then go ahead and keep them. You can either sell your RAM to a friend or sell it online (16gb can go for ~95 online).

Watch this.

Just did before you wrote it, well, that sucks x) Ah ma gad, well F it, I'll just keep the bastards for the looks of it,  even if the performance would be an increase of 0.000000001% it's still an increase in performance, all I care about is to not Lose any performance!

But just to make clear, there would be nothing wrong in using two packages of 2x4 (total of 4x4) in my motherboard? If not, then I'll just keep it ...

EDIT: Syh: Thanks for the reply, but as I said, as long as I not lose ANY performance I'll keep these ones just for the visual appearance because they'll look much more clean with my new build! :)

It'll be fine.

Nothing wrong at all; your motherboard supports it.

EDIT: Syh: Thanks for the reply, but as I said, as long as I not lose ANY performance I'll keep these ones just for the visual appearance because they'll look much more clean with my new build!  :)

Yeah, I noticed that after I posted it haha. I recently swapped solely based on color myself, so if it fits your theme better and makes you happy, then money well spent.

Thanks guys! But I pretty much hate myself for not doing the research, I feel like such a dumbass wasting 200 bucks on those, well well you learn from your mistakes, if you want feel free to check out my other thread and comment if you see me doing any other big mistakes in my new build xD

Thanks again! :)