Overclock.net Owner Steps Down. Hands OwnerShip to Wikia.

Ramzinho

After many months of careful deliberation and debate, admin has decided to step down from his role as the owner and acting administrator of Overclock.net. His busy life, family, and career had put him in a position where he simply couldn’t dedicate the time or effort to the community which he had been able to do in the early days - admin has his own message. which explains the how and why of this decision for him in a little more detail. Effective April 15th, Overclock.net has been acquired by Wikia, and going forward will operate as a unit within the “Wikia Gaming” arm of the company. I have been hired by Wikia directly, and I have taken over as the acting administrator for the community, doing my best to fill the big shoes left by our beloved founder, admin, with the assistance of our great management team in ENTERPRISE, The_Manual, and el gappo.

This is kinda of a sad day for all of the OCN members. I am posting this here just cause i wish Linus would interview Nick in the Wan Show. as they are both Canadian. and i'm pretty sure linus would Love to match the amount of success Nick had with OCN with his own LMG

Source

This is kinda of a sad day for all of the OCN members. I am posting this here just cause i wish Linus would interview Nick in the Wan Show. as they are both Canadian. and i'm pretty sure linus would Love to match the amount of success Nick had with OCN with his own LMG

Source

WHY ON MAY THE FORCE????

actually it was revealed last saturday. but i just had the idea of Linus may be interested in interviewing him. so i checked and the topic wasn't posted. so i figured out .. Why Not.

Does this have a relation with OC3D?

Nope. OC3D is a UK based site. OCN. is a site founded 10 years ago by a candian enthusiast. 

I <3 OCN, but I think this is the beginning of the end for that cornerstone of the enthusiast community. Well all knew if was coming eventually, because nothing lasts forever on the internet except space jam, especially something that is operated by people practically donating their time to their love of the community. 

I don't know what Wikia acquired OCN for, and it's hard to say if it was a bad move over letting someone else take the helm, or if it's a good move letting a larger entity like Wikia take it over, possibly keeping stability and permanence for OCN. Certainly money influenced the situation, and that's alright, as long as admin believes it will still work out for the community. 

LTT may truly one day overtake OCN some years down the road if our average age and expertise of community members increases. If not, there are other places to carry the torch as well. OC3D, HF, and so on

I've been on OCN for many years, as a lurker, syntax, and another account I post on much more. I will continue to use that community, as if it stays around, it is truly where some of the most stuck up assholes to beginners exist, and some of those assholes are some of the most knowledgeable hardware enthusiasts on the internet. And that's special.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Anyone but wikia and i would be mad. I have a positive opinion on Wikipedia (the main souce of my dealings with the company ) so thus seems positive to me. Can anyone say any negative things about wikia? I know i pretty biased and would like more info to go off of.

Anyone but wikia and i would be mad. I have a positive opinion on Wikipedia (the main souce of my dealings with the company ) so thus seems positive to me. Can anyone say any negative things about wikia? I know i pretty biased and would like more info to go off of.

they are loosely related, but wikia is not wikipedia. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

they are related, but wikia is not wikipedia.

ok , i was basing that off of a quick search before i posted. So are they evil? If i wasn't on my phone i would look more up. Whats your 2 cents on the company?

ok , i was basing that off of a quick search before i posted. So are they evil? If i wasn't on my phone i would look more up. Whats your 2 cents on the company?

I don't have much experience from them other than aggressive ads, but I'm glad they exist. They charge nothing to the end users to make specific wikis for specific things that wikipedia won't allow. Wikipedia will have a whole page on a notable say Anime, game or something, but with wikia, you can create a wiki specifically for that, going into more detail than wikipedia allows for. It's really nice, and a great tool for learning specific details about things, for example, each item in a popular MMO will have its own page on wikia. There's a wikia for everything, and it's awesome. 

muh specs 

All parts black

IDK how I posted this

muh specs 

All parts black