For People that 'enjoy' 30 FPS. 60FPS vs 30FPS <Look and Feel>

kenjigreat

I can tolerate 30fps, but it better look damn good and be at least 1080p. Like Destiny, on my PS4 was a descent experience, as far as graphics goes. Anything under 30fps is unplayable in my eyes. But I spent an ass load on my pc so I don't have to just tolerate games. I want to enjoy them. Anything under 60fps average at 1440p isn't good enough for me on my current system. Now I can tollerate less on a less powerful system, like a non-discrete graphics laptop, but I wouldn't be playing the latest AAA games on that anyway. Just older games or low intensity games.

Not really relevant...

30 Hz and 60 hz are completely distinguishable by most of people. More fps only means more fluid gameplay. Do you need 60 fps to enjoy a game? No. But I think your strategy games would still look better in 60 fps. My opinion, not yours

Here is the point I'm trying to make

More FPS = Better Gameplay , on Games that require low input lag , YES , SOLID FACT. On Games that Require very little input , Depends on the Individual Game and Person.

MORE FPS = Better Looking game - That is SUBJECTIVE, I know people find it weird that one can enjoy something at 30FPS and thinks it looks better. But you can't dictate that preference.

The two are not the same.

I could be wrong and the everyone who has ever said they like 30FPS might be trolls. 

I can tolerate 30fps, but it better look damn good and be at least 1080p. Like Destiny, on my PS4 was a descent experience, as far as graphics goes. Anything under 30fps is unplayable in my eyes. But I spent an ass load on my pc so I don't have to just tolerate games. I want to enjoy them. Anything under 60fps average at 1440p isn't good enough for me on my current system. Now I can tollerate less on a less powerful system, like a non-discrete graphics laptop, but I wouldn't be playing the latest AAA games on that anyway. Just older games or low intensity games.

I know where that comes from. I swapped to a 4K Monitor recently and anything less than 1440P looks like puke.

We see things at an infinite frame rate, that is to say there is no defined frame rate. I want things to be as smooth as possible. 30FPS is not natural at all - nothing in real life feels like 30FPS so I have no idea where your argument comes from.

My brain.

http://30vs60.com/

On every game listed there, I prefer 30 fps.

60 fps looks... I don't know. With 30fps I get sucked in to the game and it feels like real life, where as 60fps I'm aware that I'm just playing a game. It's very hard to explain and all I know is I prefer 30 frames per second.

My brain.

http://30vs60.com/

On every game listed there, I prefer 30 fps.

60 fps looks... I don't know. With 30fps I get sucked in to the game and it feels like real life, where as 60fps I'm aware that I'm just playing a game. It's very hard to explain and all I know is I prefer 30 frames per second.

Gaming is not a medium where we are the Observers.

I think most people would agree MORE FPS = Smoother Gameplay. You included.

The part people DISAGREE on is MORE FPS = Better Looking Game. Thats where you differ.

Those two are not one in the same.

You guys are very lucky then. I have to spend more money to get an enjoyable experience out of my games than you two do. I highly doubt there are many pc gamers that feel the same way about 30 fps. I find 60 fps to be superior in every way. Yes, even in movies and YouTube videos. I really like how smooth everything looks.

Maybe you have had experience making movies yourselves? Video cameras record in 60 fps so some people think 60 fps looks unprofessional like a home video of the dog running into a wall.

Not really worth starting an Internet argument over this though. Play your games at 30 Hz. I'm not going to stop you. I'll play my games at 60 Hz. Watcha gunna do about it?

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

You guys are very lucky then. I have to spend more money to get an enjoyable experience out of my games than you two do. I highly doubt there are many pc gamers that feel the same way about 30 fps. I find 60 fps to be superior in every way. Yes, even in movies and YouTube videos. I really like how smooth everything looks.

Maybe you have had experience making movies yourselves? Video cameras record in 60 fps so some people think 60 fps looks unprofessional like a home video of the dog running into a wall.

Not really worth starting an Internet argument over this though. Play your games at 30 Hz. I'm not going to stop you. I'll play my games at 60 Hz. Watcha gunna do about it?

I'll be Playing Games at 4K at 60Hz , Except for some games T_T. 

Hardware Limitations and Incompatibilities piss me off.

I became more acceptable with 30 FPS but still don't like it being locked down so tightly on consoles.

I've always preferred sacrificing other things than my framerate, lowering down graphical settings when I can for at least 50 FPS. Sadly, consoles don't have any real graphical options so it's very very restrictive in terms of playstyle and preference.

We need to start adapting graphical settings into every game on console, that's the major turn off I find about console gaming. 

All in all, it shouldn't have to be about 30 FPS or no, that's complete and utter bullshit. Everyone should at least be able to customize the game to their personal liking but developers don't understand that and think it's only for PC gaming.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

I play Forza Horizon 2 on Xbox One a lot. It runs at 1080p/30FPS. Do you know how many times I gave a damn? Zero.

FPS isn't just a number, it means so much more. But a lot of gamers, especially PC gamers, take 60FPS far off into "If it's not 60FPS, it's not Kosher."

The better the FPS the faster you inputs are for racing games. I can't stand below 60fps for racing sims, or racing games in general.

Core i5 4670k @4.0Ghz stock voltage w/ Corsair H100i | MSI GD65 Gaming Board | GIGABYTE R9 290 | 16GB G.Skill Memory @2133mhz | 256GB Crucial MX100 SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD

3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD | 20GB FUJITSU 5400rpm Xbox 360 HDD | EVGA 750W Power Supply | Lian Li Alpha 330

Sorry but if I'm playing a game it needs to be at least 60FPS no matter what genre it is.

However, I can watch content just fine in 24-30FPS since I'm not interacting with anything.

People have different preferences. Another one of mine is that FoV needs to be at least 85 otherwise I get really bad headaches, but some people don't mind low FoV.

Whatever you like go for it, but if I need 60FPS don't talk down to me like I'm taking sugar pills.

Before I played PC I never noticed, but now I can and I'd rather not go back to 30fps if my PC can help it. I notice in certain films that you can notice it severely (I know the whole 24 fps due to natural light and blur etc) where I notice it most is in certain animations for example LOTR or any film in which it has some form of animated cutscene, or when the camera pans out onto a large area.

I doubt lots of people notice or care but I can see it and I wish I couldn't.

The whole 30 fps v 60fps argument to me is kind of like when I'm trying to explain and show to an older person the difference between standard def and HD and they still claim not to notice somehow even though HD is clearly better.

I5 3570K, MSI Z77A G45, 8GB 2133MHz Gskill Ripjaws, MSI TwinFrozr GTX 780, Samsung 840 Evo SSD, WD Green 1TB HDD, OCZ 750 Watt PSU, Zalman Z11+ 

I play Forza Horizon 2 on Xbox One a lot. It runs at 1080p/30FPS. Do you know how many times I gave a damn? Zero.

FPS isn't just a number, it means so much more. But a lot of gamers, especially PC gamers, take 60FPS far off into "If it's not 60FPS, it's not Kosher."

I can play at 30 FPS.

That said If I can get 60 I will and i can in most pc games I play.

FPS affects gameplay , the higher the fps the lower the input latency is , the smoother the game feels.

In competitive games like dota 2 when I locked the FPS at 30 on purpose my in game performance suffered.

I'll play at 40/30fps in GTA V if I have to.  I want really good looks, 60fps is good but I'm willing to go down just for the visuals. 

pfft. 30 fps. the fact that people play at that framerate is so laughable. even 60 is bad, it is not smooth for me.

pfft. 30 fps. the fact that people play at that framerate is so laughable. even 60 is bad, it is not smooth for me.

Psst, 144!

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Its because you play on a console.

CPU: AMD FX 8350 | GPU: AMD R9 270 Windforce | MOBO: ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB | Case: X Predator X1 |CPU COOLER: Hyper T4

NAZIS WILL RISE.

Well good for you?
I will always prefer 60fps+, but I have played several games where 30 fps doesn't really hurt it, not that much at least. There are games though that I start up on console, and I do notice the 30fps quite early (and google it for confirmation), and if a notice it likes that, then it really bugs me and needs 60. But games can be 30 without noticing that much, usually slower paced games, or where camera movement is more stable.

My most recent console 30fps experience is FFX HD on PS3. I noticed it was 30 quite early and that made me sad, consider buying the PS4 edition if it has 60fps, just for that

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

It also depends where the 30 fps comes from, if it's limited by your hardware, it feels laggy, but if you limit it with a fps limiter, it doesn't really feel bad, a little choppy maybe, and vsync is just unplayable for me, because of input lag.

This post is silly. Not because I disagree with what you’re saying, but you’re making one point then validating it by using a point made for an entirely different reason. Any reasonable PC gamer would agree 60 is not always needed. RTS games are a prime example, Moba’s too. Defiantly games like hearthstone and even racing car games have comparable experiences 30 vs 60 fps.

The comment made that some games don’t need 30 fps is a very valid and mostly agreed upon point. Even some who say 30 FPS feels better (to them) has a somewhat valid point as look and feel is very subjective. I started a talk today about V-Sync or not. Both sides have valid points and largely ends up being a preference thing. What really gets a lot of PC fans fired up is when people tout that 30 fps is a better experience because of technical reasons or even using the old “it’s more cinematic”. That is complete and utter bullshit. And using that specific example to validate your point is also crap.

Saying 30 fps is better than 60 is like saying low res textures are better than high res textures. Low res have the advantage of allowing Gamers to game on lower end systems but Higher res textures have much more Graphical fidelity, things like buttons become clearer even the fabric type, lines more distinct. The same can be said about 30 vs 60 or even 60 vs 144.  More frames means more clarity in animation making even the most subtle of movements much more noticeable. Just like the button becomes more noticeable on High settings.

Using races games as the example. 30 vs 60, does 60 offer twice the benefit of 30 I bet not. But at 60 fps the subtle movements of the car become much more fluid and noticeable. The suspension bottoming out over a small bump going 200 kmh is much clearer on the 60 fps. The tail end slightly sliding out is more noticeable at 60. And you catch it quicker as movement is smoother. Below is a 30 vs 60 on the new project cars, both are very much playable but 60 offers much better clarity with animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QksH65BmjK4

Faster games like shooters this becomes much more noticeable. Is it worth the cost however? Well that is a personal question and each person will have a different answer. PC gamers make these choices every time they upgrade. Is spending an extra 200 dollars worth the fidelity with a higher end GPU? Is the extra clarity 1440 offers worth the cost, same goes for 144hz... that is for each person to decide. I tell you what however, I never see anyone saying a 960 is better than a 970 simply because that’s where he decided the sweet spot is for them. And you constantly see that with young console gamers, they claim there system is superior even when blind Freddy can tell it’s not. If saying all PC gamers think 60 fps is always right makes you feel better than great. But just know it’s wrong.

I personally think your comment is spot on, not all games require 60fps and I also think consoles have a good deal to talk about 30 vs 60 when it comes at the cost of Graphical Fidelity. Is a plainer looking game worth the smoother experience? That is a talk for another day. Most sane PC gamers would agree with you. That in certain cases even 60 FPS is totally overkill. Me personally I think only scrubs play minesweeper below 110 fps.

w a 144 hz in some games like csgo even 60fps is bad/not that smooth

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M