Corsair RM850 exploded!?!?!?!

Sean W.

So this morning I called Corsair, they werent very helpful over the phone. The lady basically told me to go on etheir website and write an email descriibng the incident and they will send me a prepaid lable to ship the PSU to them and inspect then send me an RMA unit. 

I decided I didnt want to do that merry-go-round, So I just returned it to Best But and bought the EVGA 850 G2 power supply. Unfortunately they didnt have in stock at Best Buy, so I need to wait for it to be shipped. Ugh... 

But, before long, I will have a proper, high end Power supply to power my 980s for a long time, reliably... 

Sorry to hear that this has happened to you, Sean. That must have been a faulty PSU right out of the box. Unfortunately, I didn't catch this thread sooner. If I did, I would have been able to provide you some assistance with an express replacement, or even a possible compensation for the inconvenience. With cases like this, ideally, we'd like to get the unit back here in HQ so we can perform failure analysis to better understand what went wrong. But I guess that's all too late now since you have already returned the unit back to BB.

Well just in case you run into any issues with any of our hardware in the future, feel free to contact me directly anytime. 

So this morning I called Corsair, they werent very helpful over the phone. The lady basically told me to go on etheir website and write an email descriibng the incident and they will send me a prepaid lable to ship the PSU to them and inspect then send me an RMA unit. 

I decided I didnt want to do that merry-go-round, So I just returned it to Best But and bought the EVGA 850 G2 power supply. Unfortunately they didnt have in stock at Best Buy, so I need to wait for it to be shipped. Ugh... 

But, before long, I will have a proper, high end Power supply to power my 980s for a long time, reliably...

I run the 850 G2 and absolutely love it.

<p>CPU: Intel i7 4790k(4.9GHz), Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 (2 way SLI) PSU: EVGA 850w G2 Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer, EK,Alphacool,Bitspower custom loop.

“Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.”

Albert Einstein 14 December 1930

Sorry to hear that this has happened to you, Sean. That must have been a faulty PSU right out of the box. Unfortunately, I didn't catch this thread sooner. If I did, I would have been able to provide you some assistance with an express replacement, or even a possible compensation for the inconvenience. With cases like this, ideally, we'd like to get the unit back here in HQ so we can perform failure analysis to better understand what went wrong. But I guess that's all too late now since you have already returned the unit back to BB.

Well just in case you run into any issues with any of our hardware in the future, feel free to contact me directly anytime. 

I too regret you not having seen this, I would have been interested to see what you could have done. I was trying to get ahold of Harold, but learned that he no longer works for the company :( Historically I love corsair and all their products. I was genuinely shocked that a corsair product failed so dramatically on me. This does not leave a bad taste in my mouth for Corsair. S*** happens, on a long enough timeline, I have no doubt that Corsair would have made this right.

Another EVGA G2 850 owner here. It's amazeballs. Holy amazeballs with cats playing with the amazing balls like on Linus' shirt.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."