Any engineers here? need help!

getrekt

I have got my entrance results and need to choose the uni and branch of engineering!

Need help deciding!

Can various engineers state which type of engineers they are and state what they have to do in real life so that I can decide which branch to select

What do you love doing and can feel like you fail at for 6 years but keep trying, pick that one. Its a very challenging subject.<< not a engineer.

as said below the math is no joke. mechanical and electrical are the big two with the broadest job field. check out something like http://www.bls.gov/and other engineering website and forums, they probably have a few study guides that will give you a idea of what to expect.

I'm not an engineer, but my wife is. 

She is a construction engineer, and she primarily work with designing tall building (10+ stories) and bridges. It involves a lot of math, that I don't understand, and also a lot of 3D and physics work.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I'm not an engineer, but my wife is.

She is a construction engineer, and she primarily work with designing tall building (10+ stories) and bridges. It involves a lot of math, that I don't understand, and also a lot of 3D and physics work.

Thanks a lot! :D

What do you love doing and can feel like you fail at for 6 years but keep trying, pick that one. Its a very challenging subject.<< not a engineer.

Makes sense! Thanks! :)

I also know architectural engineers and they say it involves tons of calculations and work on the computer and only very little hands on

I also know architectural engineers and they say it involves tons of calculations and work on the computer and only very little hands on

So less field work and only sitting at one place?

So less field work and only sitting at one place?

this will depend on your job. you can go into the field and do things but, in some fields this is left to a scientist or a tech, they gather data and put forth theory and you formulate a solution based on that information to a problem.  this is a job field that varies so much. you can be static and work at a nuclear plan like homer simpson or be out in the grass inspecting river ways,dams,bridges. you could be making said bridges. this is a field with continuing education requirements .  

honestly check out job listing to less than 2 years of experience this will also give you a idea of what to expect, they normally will list requirements for the job and the commonly performed taskes

this will depend on your job. you can go into the field and do things but, in some fields this is left to a scientist or a tech, they gather data and put forth theory and you formulate a solution based on that information to a problem. this is a job field that varies so much. you can be static and work at a nuclear plan like homer simpson or be out in the grass inspecting river ways,dams,bridges. you could be making said bridges. this is a field with continuing education requirements .

honestly check out job listing to less than 2 years of experience this will also give you a idea of what to expect, they normally will list requirements for the job and the commonly performed taskes

Never thought of checking out job listings!

Thanks a lot! :D

Mechanical Engineer here, I spend probably 80% of my time at a desk doing fluid flow simulations and CAD modeling and 20% in the field with the machines.

The day to day tasks will vary hugely based on who you work for. Many of my friends have never been out to the field since they graduated, and a few spend much more time than I do in the field. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Mechanical Engineer here, I spend probably 80% of my time at a desk doing fluid flow simulations and CAD modeling and 20% in the field with the machines.

The day to day tasks will vary hugely based on who you work for. Many of my friends have never been out to the field since they graduated, and a few spend much more time than I do in the field.

Thanks! I would like to do a lot of field work any suggestions?

Thanks! I would like to do a lot of field work any suggestions?

To be honest, as a whole engineers dont usually do a lot of field work. For the huge majority of engineers the majority of their time is spent behind a desk. :(

Civil Engineers spend the most time out in the field, but... Yeah. Civils... ;)

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

To be honest, as a whole engineers dont usually do a lot of field work. For the huge majority of engineers the majority of their time is spent behind a desk. :(

Civil Engineers spend the most time out in the field, but... Yeah. Civils... ;)

Thanks!