Dual monitors - DP input best conversion method.

Amith
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

No wonder I was struggling to find a 'DisplayPort splitter'. :lol:

Are you able to recommend a decent one?

Also, after having a quick look, none of the MST hubs I saw explicitly mentioned refresh rates greater than 60hz (either at all or at 1440p); is this an unreasonable expectation from a single 'DisplayPort output'?  

Thanks for pointing out that my solution #2, above, will not work.

This reminds me of the classic story of an owner of a Fish and Chips shop ordering a new sign. The sign arrives but it reads, 'FishandChips'. The owner says, 'There needs to be more space between Fish and and and and and Chips.'

I haven't used any hubs personally, so I can't recommend any.

As far as I know you should be able to do anything that DisplayPort supports through an MST hub. The capabilities go up to 4x 1080p 60Hz, 2x 1080p 144Hz, 2x 1440p 60Hz, 1x 1440p 144Hz, or 1x 2160p 60Hz. Any of those configurations should work through a hub.

Hi,

A friend of mine is purchasing two Asus 27" PG278Q G-Sync 144Hz Monitors (Res: 1440) (Info here).

He has the same GPUs as me, 2x Gigabyte GTX 780ti (Ghz edn)

He he aiming to run the two monitors in extended mode.

The issues:

1. Each monitor only has one input (1x DP).
2. Restricted to using one GPU for output per SLI group.

3. Each GPU only has one DisplayPort (Is is correct to say 'A DisplayPort port' or is the second 'port' deemed redundant? :huh: )

4. (Potential issue) 2560 x 1440 resolution per monitor.

The two solutions I can see are:
1. DP splitter; or

2. DP -> Primary monitor and DVI -> DP converter for secondary monitor.

It seems, prima facie, that option two would be preferable as the primary monitor would not be subject to any restrictions or limitations.

Would you agree that this is the best solution?

Any help is appreciated, especially if I have overlooked something.

Cheers.

A splitter should do the trick.

With Eyefinity, it may have been better, but a normal DP spilter will do the trick.

My Current Build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.5 GHz MOBO: ASUS Z97M mATX RAM: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4 GB) @ 1600 MHz Storage #1: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD Storage #2: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120 GB SSD GPU: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X WINDFORCE Case: Cooler Master N200 PSU: EVGA 80+ Bronze 600B 600W Monitor: AOC 2367 23" IPS Display 

Future Upgrades
RAM: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4 GB) @ 1600 MHz (for a total of 16 GB) Storage #3: Sansung 850 Pro Series 256 GB SSD GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Twin Frozer V Case: Corsair 350D Window mATX PSU: Cooler Master VSM 80+ Gold  650W
Add me on Steam:
Click me!

The splitter would work better as without it, one of the monitors would not work with g-sync. 

A single displayport can run 2 1440p monitors at ~65Hz

But, if he only planning on gaming with one of them, I would recommend using the DVI connector for the one he isn't gaming on, allowing his primary monitor to run near its maximum refresh rate.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

The splitter would work better as without it, one of the monitors would not work with g-sync. 

But, if he only planning on gaming with one of them, I would recommend using the DVI connector for the one he isn't gaming on, allowing his primary monitor to run near its maximum refresh rate.

^This^

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

You can't. The monitor only has DisplayPort inputs, nothing else.

Use a multi-stream transport hub, which is what a DisplayPort splitter is technically called when you are looking for one :)

And, I usually say "DisplayPort output" to avoid the whole "port" thing :)

You can't. The monitor only has DisplayPort inputs, nothing else.

Use a multi-stream transport hub, which is what a DisplayPort splitter is technically called when you are looking for one :)

I probably should have phrased that better, what I meant was use the DVI port on the graphics card through a DVI to DP adapter.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

I probably should have phrased that better, what I meant was use the DVI port on the graphics card through a DVI to DP adapter.

DP to DVI adapter cables are for DisplayPort output to DVI on the monitor. It can't be adapted in the reverse direction.

Also, after having a quick look, none of the MST hubs I saw explicitly mentioned refresh rates greater than 60hz (either at all or at 1440p); is this an unreasonable expectation from a single 'DisplayPort output'?  

DP to DVI adapter cables are for DisplayPort output to DVI on the monitor. It can't be adapted in the reverse direction.

This reminds me of the classic story of an owner of a Fish and Chips shop ordering a new sign. The sign arrives but it reads, 'FishandChips'. The owner says, 'There needs to be more space between Fish and and and and and Chips.'

As far as I know you should be able to do anything that DisplayPort supports through an MST hub. The capabilities go up to 4x 1080p 60Hz, 2x 1080p 144Hz, 2x 1440p 60Hz, 1x 1440p 144Hz, or 1x 2160p 60Hz. Any of those configurations should work through a hub.

Many thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.