Why do consoles have lower FOV?

minibois

On PC games, 90 seems to be pretty standard, but on consoles you often have 'only' 65 or 70.

Why is that? 

I heard once that they chose a FOV so the fps is more stable, but if all gamers for example online have the same FOV, their system should perform the same right?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Requires more graphical horsepower, of which the consoles lack.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i RAM: HyperX Fury 8GB SSD: Adata SP900 128GB HDD: WD Green 4TB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960

Motherboard: Gigabyte H97N-WiFi PSU: Cooler Master V450S Case: Silverstone SG13

Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire TK Monitor: AOC i2367FH Headset: Tritton Kunai

yeah?

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Consoles are designed to typically be played on a TV, which is typically much further away then a PC monitor, hence they require a lower FOV to prevent nausea. Also, the previously mentioned horsepower thing.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

On PC games, 90 seems to be pretty standard, but on consoles you often have 'only' 65 or 70.

Why is that? 

I heard once that they chose a FOV so the fps is more stable, but if all gamers for example online have the same FOV, their system should perform the same right?

You just don't understand the #consolemasterrace

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

They can't handle more.

You just don't understand the #consolemasterrace

Of course I don't understand, that's why I asked #duh

Requires more graphical horsepower, of which the consoles lack.

Consoles are designed to typically be played on a TV, which is typically much further away then a PC monitor, hence they require a lower FOV to prevent nausea. Also, the previously mentioned horsepower thing.

They can't handle more.

Hmm, makes sense I suppose..

yeah?

No?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Of course I don't understand, that's why I asked #duh

Hmm, makes sense I suppose..

No?

lel

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

1) it needs a little more power, not something they'd want to use considering they can barely maintain 900p 30fps

2) since you're usually sitting relatively far from the tv you don't notice as much as you would on a monitor.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

More fov = more objects,scenery,etc. to render = more strain on performance

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Is mostly due to the average distance the screen is for consoles.

I few years ago I watched a few good videos in youtube explaining that stuff but I can't find them.

But it all comes down to the distance between your eyes and the screen.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.