Slightly "uncolored" dot under the CPU (LGA2011-3)

Long story short, while I was waiting for the motherboard I did clean my CPU (5930k) from the old thermal paste.

Thing is after cleaning a miniscular fragment of tissue landed under the CPU (where the 2011 golden dots are) and I wiped it away gently with a q-tip and it left one of those 2011 pins a bit less yellow-ish. You can really see it only under direct light reflection.

Is that a problem? Looks perfectly fine, just that one dot is a bit less yellow becuase of the tissue or something. I heard the CPU itself is pretty resistans to stuff, you just gotta be careful with the socket.

The Enforcer V3 (R.I.P 23/12/2014 - 28/04/2015)

The Enforcer V4 (Coming soon.)

Long story short, while I was waiting for the motherboard I did clean my CPU (5930k) from the old thermal paste.

Thing is after cleaning a miniscular fragment of tissue landed under the CPU (where the 2011 golden dots are) and I wiped it away gently with a q-tip and it left one of those 2011 pins a bit less yellow-ish. You can really see it only under direct light reflection.

Is that a problem? Looks perfectly fine, just that one dot is a bit less yellow becuase of the tissue or something. I heard the CPU itself is pretty resistans to stuff, you just gotta be careful with the socket.

are there any errors on bootup

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Sounds like oxidization to me. Try and see if it works. I'm pretty sure it should be fine.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

are there any errors on bootup

That I can only see when I get my new mobo

I don't think so, but if it doesn't work or something explodes you might want to get something fixed.

lol

Sounds like oxidization to me. Try and see if it works. I'm pretty sure it should be fine.

I mean here's a pic of how it looks (under direct light, you can't really spot it by looking normally)

http://i.imgur.com/GGYgr4E.jpg

Also I'm reading around now and it seems that I can clean that pic with isopropol alcohol. Can you guys confirm this before doing something like that on a 650€ baby?

the discoloration occurs from voltage.

its a sure sign of overclocking \ higher than stock voltage

i bench \ overvolt alot of chips

they look 100% before I bench

and when Im done overvolting they are all discolored

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

the discoloration occurs from voltage.

its a sure sign of overclocking \ higher than stock voltage

i bench \ overvolt alot of chips

they look 100% before I bench

and when Im done overvolting they are all discolored

1.4 / 4.5Ghz too much... ?

It used to work fine back when I had a working mobo.

Could it be that it's fucked now? If you check my other thread

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/356378-i-fucked-up-hard-x99-bios/

after fucking up hard with the bios (NOT related to OC) all it could post was "00" which sometimes means "the cpu is fucked"

did you test on a motherboard box ?

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

did you test on a motherboard box ?

Pretty sure you remember me form yesterday.

I didn't get the WS yet.

Bump, in case anyone wants to have a word about the subject.

Also I'm reading around now and it seems that I can clean that pic with isopropol alcohol. Can you guys confirm this before doing something like that on a 650€ baby?

Isopropyl alcohol @ 99.9% is the only thing I would clean it with, and have done so many times before. Don't go aggressively scrubbing at it, just a light surface pressure with a Q-tip. If it doesn't lift the discoloration just leave it alone. The last thing you want to do is pull off the contact metal.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Nope its ruined you'll just have to give it to me. I'll throw it away for you *wink* 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Isopropyl alcohol @ 99.9% is the only thing I would clean it with, and have done so many times before. Don't go aggressively scrubbing at it, just a light surface pressure with a Q-tip. If it doesn't lift the discoloration just leave it alone. The last thing you want to do is pull off the contact metal.

I'm going to leave it alone for now.

If, after the post test, it doesn't work, I will try with alcohol and in extreme cases just RMA it. :/

Nope its ruined you'll just have to give it to me. I'll throw it away for you *wink*

lol cya

It should still work. My old i7 - 920 had dozens of dozens of spots like that. Would probably still work today-if it wasn't on my keychain.