Geek and... Religious?

faziten

I dont mind religious people as long as their religion doesnt interfere in other peoples freedom.

A lot of things in religious movements have been misguided , the spanish inquistion , the burning of witches in salem , the cruzades.

As long as we dont go back there and peoples religion doesn't infere on my freedom of being who I am I am fine.

Extremists are what ruin it for normal folk , things like what happened in france in charlie hebdau give religious people a bad name.

Having said that I am not religious , I am agnostic.

Yeah, people who can assemble a computer are people of science.

When I used to play with legos I was too a man of science.

Having said that, nobody really wants nor needs to hear about your imaginary friend.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

I'm sorry but you can't state that the bible is 100% fact when you have no proof to back it up, and someone saying "I have faith it's 100% fact," is not proof. I hear that a lot.

Edit--- Sorry read your post wrong, but to me truth and fact go hand in hand

Yeah...terminology when discussing theology is weird

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

@Vitalius stated it perfectly. The bible is 100% TRUTH but it's not 100% FACT. There's a lot of figurative language in the bible that conveys messages such as "God is powerful" or "God created the universe", but the message isn't literally "God created this, and then that, and then the other things, in that order".

Everything is true if you choose to believe in it. It's a social construct.

A fact, in the other hand, cannot be disputed, as it is proven.

So, if you choose to believe in it, everything the bible states is true. But it's not a fact, only some of it is indeed factual and that's the historic part.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

Bushido Buddhist here. (Confucianism-Shinto and buddhism)

While i do not delve too deep into scientific articles or keep up with most of it (More of a history buff to be perfectly honest)
I do believe in evolution and i have a genuine interest in some areas of science.

My religion is there for philosophy, contemplation and spirituality. That's it 

I do like this quote

dalai_lama_science.jpg

But, at that age, I also used to jump in the air, grab my ankles and pull to see if I could float. :0/  :shrug:  

I'm guessing this ended badly? 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Everything is true if you choose to believe in it. 

Not really? It doesn't make it true it just means you have an incorrect belief?  :huh:

I'm guessing this ended badly? 

Pretty much...I think I progressed iirc to trying it with one hand holding a climbing frame.  X0D

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

No

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Not really? It doesn't make it true it just means you have an incorrect belief?  :huh:

If a person chooses to believe something is true, it's their own belief. It's a social construct.

It obviously doesn't involve debating facts. Learn to read.

To me there is only one God, and that's Lord GabeN

EDIT : My GF just corrected me.  Her and GabeN, in that order apparently.

To me there is only one God, and that's Lord GabeN

EDIT : My GF just corrected me.  Her and GabeN, in that order apparently.

You must have your hand in quite high consideration.

If a person chooses to believe something is true, it's their own belief. It's a social construct.

It obviously doesn't involve debating facts. Learn to read.

Yeah...no...you're wrong. I mean really, that's not even opinion, your just wrong.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Yeah...no...you're wrong. I mean really, that's not even opinion, your just wrong.

You obviously have no idea of the concept of truth/lie. 

You also are quite a shitty debater since you don't even have the intelligence to attack the argument, you just go on saying I'm wrong without even... You know, using simple things like arguments.

I'll put it in simple words. Let's pretend I'm a priest and I preach that a man called Jesus has indeed resurrected. That's not even a simple "truth" for the christian people, it's a dogma.

Well, factually we do know that it is impossible for a human being or any other animal to resurrect.  So we do know that statement is factually incorrect, but that doesn't make it a lie. It's a belief, and that belief is built on the basis of a dogma which was socially constructed.

So the word "truth" can be in fact correctly used, taking into account one's beliefs, values and/or expectations. 

In this sense, the "truth" really is subjective to each individual and social group.

Now if I say that today I didn't went to uni because I had no classes, you could argue that I was either telling the truth or just lying. 

Thing is, what happened is factually correct because what I said was indeed according to the reality.

You could also say I'd be telling the truth since it was indeed factually correct. But you see, that would be the other meaning of the word since "truth" meaning depends on the context.

If you can't grasp this, I won't even take the "discussion" further.

You obviously have no idea of the concept of truth/lie. 

I'll put it in simple words. Let's pretend I'm a priest and I preach that a man called Jesus has indeed resurrected. That's not even a simple "truth" for the christian people, it's a dogma.

Well, factually we do know that it is impossible for a human being or any other animal to resurrect.  So we do know that statement is factually incorrect, but that doesn't make it a lie. It's a belief, and that belief is built on the basis of a dogma which was socially constructed.

If you can't grasp this, I won't even take the "discussion" further.

Okay, lets put it in even simpler words than those: Believing something doesn't make it true.

Okay, lets put it in even simpler words than those: Believing something doesn't make it true.

You really are a simple minded fellow, aren't you?

Forget it.

You really are a simple minded fellow, aren't you?

Forget it.

I'm sorry, I thought you wanted to simplify things. :shrug:

Proud Atheist, but however I have studied Buddhism and a little bit of Taoism and have found them both to be excellent :)

not sure why everyone is waiting for the lock, not much has happened thus far

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

I'm sorry, I thought you wanted to simplify things. :shrug:

Truth or lie is a social construction in its core.

It can be applied to factually correct/incorrect events in our reality but it's not limited to it. Get it?

To someone who prides himself of meditating (either that or just attention whoring), you're quite shitty at thinking.

Truth or lie is a social construction in its core.

It can be applied to factually correct/incorrect events in our reality but it's not limited to it. Get it?

To someone who prides himself of meditating (either that or just attention whoring), you're quite shitty at thinking.

To be honest you're not making much sense to me. I could try and project some kind of meaning into what you're saying, extrapolate, what have you, but to be honest, it's not worth my time. I really didn't want it to come to this since you're not a native English speaker, but before you tell me I should "learn to read" how about you learn to express yourself properly with words.

If you think what you've written is perfectly clear and makes perfect sense then maybe it's your thinking you should be concerned with rather than mine.

Basically, you're not really making any sense. You can believe something for as long and as strongly as you like, it's not that belief which is or isn't going to will that something into existence.

If you believe something incorrect to be true, you have an incorrect belief, it doesn't make that thing correct. Do you understand that or are you just some kind of malignant narcissist? I mean should I just not waste my time with you?

To be honest you're not making much sense to me. I could try and project some kind of meaning into what you're saying, extrapolate, what have you, but to be honest, it's not worth my time. I really didn't want it to come to this since you're not a native English speaker, but before you tell me I should "learn to read" how about you learn to express yourself properly with words.

If you think what you've written is perfectly clear and makes perfect sense then maybe it's your thinking you should be concerned with rather than mine.

Basically, you're not really making any sense. You can believe something for as long and as strongly as you like, it's not that belief which is or isn't going to will that something into existence.

If you believe something incorrect to be true, you have an incorrect belief, it doesn't make that thing correct. Do you understand that or are you just some kind of malignant narcissist? I mean should I just not waste my time with you?

>belief that is incorrect

>he thinks beliefs can be deemed as correct or incorrect

>he thinks he can actually apply factual reasoning to beliefs

How can be people be this dumb? Just forget it.

Not gonna waste more of my time discussing with simple minded idiots that can't even grasp simple philosophical concepts.

>belief that is incorrect

>he thinks beliefs can be deemed as correct or incorrect

>he thinks he can actually apply factual reasoning to beliefs

How can be people be this dumb? Just forget it.

Not gonna waste more of my time discussing with simple minded idiots that can't even grasp simple philosophical concepts.

Dude, seriously, you're just not making any sense. 

islam has and always been universal

science began to grow when the muslim scholars seek knowledges

i'm still sad on what happen to our people
i swear muslim these days don't even think now

Yeah, I was a former Christian now atheist.

I had my doubts when I was like 10, then I found out how humans made thousands of gods, as a way to explain things from the natural world.

Now, science actually gives us an explanation of how things actually work.

That along with all the inconsistencies and contradictions of the Bible and how, well... is made from older modified myths.

Now most Christians and Catholics just take what they want from the Bible, yeah, I'm not going back unless someone actually proves that their particular god is real of course.

I see the universe for what it is, not for what I want it to be.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Christian. I'd rather be Christian and find out there is no God when I die than be an Atheist, die, and find out there is a God.

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL. 

Well, so far so good. This post didn't burn to ashes and purged my questions. 

A lot of you people have beliefs or stand in one particular mindset which is fine. I couldn't tell that many of you were religious and very little of you declared as some variation of Skepticism. 

Well thanks for your answers.-

Well, so far so good. This post didn't burn to ashes and purged my questions. 

A lot of you people have beliefs or stand in one particular mindset which is fine. I couldn't tell that many of you were religious and very little of you declared as some variation of Skepticism. 

Well thanks for your answers.-

To be honest that could be due to self-selection bias? I tend to just avoid these types of thread. It's not that I'm an atheist, I just find the whole concept of god to be a kind of delusional madness. :shrug: